ID my bugs please?

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Two days ago I found this leaf that had broken off from a basil plant, with eggs on it. I thought I'd keep hold of them and see what they turned into, expecting it to be caterpillars.

Today I took a look and all but one has hatched, and not into caterpillars. They look like tiny beetles, but I thought all beetles had a larval stage so they can't be if they've hatched out looking like beetles all ready.

Anyway, anyone want to have a guess at what they are? They're about 2mm in diameter. I've put them in a jar with some more basil leaves and I'm gonna keep an eye on them and see what they do :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm:? , I've never seen those before. I've probably seen the adults though. Well, because of the shape of the head and the way the legs look, man, I'm going to stretch a guess and say maybe some kind of leafhopper....aahhhh, I don't know. But they do look like a kind of "true" bug. Yea that'd be nice if you could keep them long enough to find out. I'm curious.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to guess some sort of scale insect. I think they are often called tortoise shell. I believe the family is margarodidae, scale and mealy bugs.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, nice mix of ideas. I've had a quick look around at pics of assassin bugs and I can't find any that look like this, but that might just be cos I haven't found any nymph pics or something.

Can anyone recommend general tips for helping the little guys out? At the moment they are just in a jar with some basil leaves. Should I mist them or put some substrate in? I know it's hard to say not knowing the species but if there's any common sense things I can do it'd help.

Also anyone with any more guesses keep em coming. I'm gonna keep hold of them till I work out what they are. If they turn out to be something predatory instead of something that eats plants my dad will be really happy, lol.

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They look like stink bugs to me. Here is a picture of an immature I took last summer (This one is larger of course, almost mature).

Lindsey

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Different species eat different things. Most (at least around here) feed on plant juices, but there are some that are predatory.

Lindsey

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well guys I just did a lot of searching around, and I think I may have figured it out. Palomena prasina, aka Green Shield Bug or Green Pentatomid Bug (which to me sounds much cooler). I think they are Stink bugs but they're just not really called that in this country (until they squirt you)

This pic is pretty much identical to how these guys look:

Taken from this site

Apparently they go through 5 nymph stages and take 5-6 weeks to mature. They should molt to the second stage in just three days.

I'm gonna keep hold of em just out of interest and let them go when they're mature. Or maybe a bit sooner if they get too stinky :D

Thanks for all the help guys!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! If it's not the exact sp, it's close enough to satisfy my curiosity. Sure looks like you found it though. Wow!, ...so much info.