ID Help Please

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Hi All, I received a few of these over the last few months. A friend purchased a small group ( 3.2 ) of them from a hole in the wall pet shop in South Miami. He and I each ended up with a young adult female as well as males ranging from sub adult to mature. We were told that they came from Panama which leads me to believe that they are not a Brachypelma species, one of my males has the temper to prove it. After some research I found that Sericopelma come from Panama.

Here is a pic of my 5" sub adult male fresh post molt.

I agree they look similar to Brachypelma vagans (I encourage someone to post a pic of B vagans to compare the two) but upon a side by side physical comparison I see a difference. Keep in mind that they are from Panama. I'm not positive but I don't think B vagans are found that far south.

Thanks for looking, Motz

Last edited:

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It resembles A B. Vagans from the pics you've provided. Nice looking T you have there.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
gotta agree with ishkie looks like a vagans, nice looking T to be sure.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw a show on TV once where Rick West and some students were catching wild B.vagans along a Florida canal. I believe they have become naturalized to that state.

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Not Brachypelma vagans

Hi All, I want to thank those that have replied so far!

Maybe I was not clear enough earlier but these Tarantulas comes from PANAMA which is much further South than the natural range of Brachypelma vagans.

I have an idea as to what they are but was hoping for someone to confirm my thoughts. I have also been in contact with Mr. West and will be shipping the expired adult male along with previous molts of both male and female (spermatheca will identify almost 100% positive) to him for his expert opinion. Thanks for responding and I look forward to your thoughts!

Thanks for looking, Motz

Last edited:

Niko984

Arachnopeon
Hello!

Please do no take me wrong but maybe is not true that informations that you have. Who knows maybe that is B.Vangans or maybe not(I think it is). But is wery beautiful spider.

Bye bye

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think you should link to what you think it is Gabe ;)

Lets hope!

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Mystery Tarantula

Hi All, I guess Eric is right so I will put you all out of your misery - LOL!

I believe these T's to be Sericopelm rubronitens Ausserer, 1875 Panama. Birdspiders.com has a pic of a female that is exactly identicle to mine http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/8090535DG3048G23A9G27824EB54DD4EFA4.html.

Upon further research I have found that the Panamanians call this T the "White Wooly" which refers to the whiteish wooly fringe around the carapace. I am almost positive that this is what they are and look forward to having Mr. West identify them. I have never seen these here in the USA before nor heard of anyone having bred them here either. Another new species (I hope) for us to work with with!!!! :clap: Thanks to you all for looking, Motz

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gabe,

Question for you, does the dead mature male have tibial spurs or are they lacking?

Via the classic... Pérez-Miles, F., S. M. Lucas, P. I. da Silva Jr. and R. Bertani. 1996. Systematic revision and cladistic analysis of Theraphosinae (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Mygalomorph, 1:33-68.

Sericopelma "Differs from the other Theraphosinae in the palpal bulb morphology, in combination with the abscence of a tibial apophysis and a single spermathecal receptaculum with a median notch".

Eric

Last edited:

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like that Sericopelma and a B. vagans..

are you sure that the petshop is 100% corect about where they are from?

Cheers

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David Burns said:
I saw a show on TV once where Rick West and some students were catching wild B.vagans along a Florida canal. I believe they have become naturalized to that state.
Naturalized? {D Gonna need to check their ID to be sure... J/K

Niko984

Arachnopeon
Hey hey I think that I found your T`s ID.
What do you think could it be GRAMMOSTOLA IHERINGI? :?

Who knows maybe it is?

Bye bye

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Niko984 said:
Hey hey I think that I found your T`s ID.
What do you think could it be GRAMMOSTOLA IHERINGI? :?

Who knows maybe it is?

Bye bye

I don't think its a Grammostola sp. because most Grammostola sp have a mirror patch on there abdomen and this one don't. Nice guess though :D

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Hello Niko984, These are definitely not a Grammostola species as there is no mirror patch on the abdomen being the most obvious difference. I appreceiate your effort but understand the difficulty in identifying most any T from a picture only. With that being said I am almost 100% positive that these are a Sericopelma species as the mature male has no tibila apophyses (spurs) which is characteristic of the Serocopelma genus as mention in an earlier post by GoTerps.:clap:

I also found some reference to these T's in "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" on page 270.

Mygalarachne (Sericopelma) rubronitens (Ausserer 1875)
Subfamily Theraphosine

Giant red rump tarantula

Panama red rump tarantula​

I have pics of the mature male but they are too dark to see well, I will take more soon and post for all to see. My friend bred him 2X over the last couple of weeks with his female who is now showing little interest in him - a good sign I hope. I will be getting him back in the next week to breed with my female which is due to molt very soon. Were hoping for at least 1 eggsack - 2 would be outstanding to say the least! ;)

Thanks for looking, Motz

Vogelspinnen

Arachnosquire
Sericopelma sp.

Hi All, Here is my Sericopelma sp. ultimate male sans tibial apophyses. I sent him to a friends female in July and was bred one time successfully. I had him with my female 3 seperate times in August/September. After the first perfect 2 palp insertion the female refused him from there on - poor guy keeps making sperm webs looking for action. The first female behaved the exact same way.

I'll be sending him out for formal identification as soon as he expires.

Thanks for looking, Gabe

Last edited:

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is that purple coloring on the carcapace a result of the flash, or is it actually there?