ID from BC

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all, our Arachno-pen-pal sent us another interesting spider.

If any specific shots can help with the ID let me know and I will try to get them.
Thanks in advance.

Mackenzie

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
woodlouse spider looks like to me, due to the big woodlouse, beetle killing chompers! xD he looks like a he and probably searching for a female? Couldn't tell you which one it is though, too many haha...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hmmm, not a crocata... can't really point you in a better direction though. i'm sure someone will know it right away. i assume it was collected in canada though, right?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmm, not a crocata... can't really point you in a better direction though. i'm sure someone will know it right away. i assume it was collected in canada though, right?
Their chomps remind of me them haha

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looking at body shape and spinerrets, I would assume this spider lives in a pouch of webbing that it hunts out of, That would be a good reason for elongated chelicera (I love sounding smart.) Id however, I have none. but shall begin to search :)

mitchnast

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was found under some flat rocks at the base of a south facing talus-slope in an arid basin. Sagebrush-bunchgrass and ponderosa pine area.

It was indeed in a pouch of webbing attached to the underside of the rock.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks to be related to the yellow sac spider, I could notfind much but thebody type does say alot hopefuly someone with atouch morek nowledgewill come around, though I still amdigging through my audobon :)

My book had nodda. Nothing that even looked similiar, however. to narrow the list down this site may be helpful

http://www.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/spiders_list.htm

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's not one of the yellow sac spiders (Cheiracanthium) because those do not have any forward-pointing hairs on the front of the abdomen; looks like this one does (visible as a dark fringe, especially in the second picture).

My first impression is Clubiona sp. (Clubionidae). Nice spider!

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think i've found it.

Drassodes neglectus, or something in the Drassodes family.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/98705/bgimage

Has the same sort of chelicerae, although this one is not neglectus, but lapidosus.

http://www.jorgenlissner.dk/images\Pictures\Drassodes_lapidosus_han_2899.jpg

and one of the pictures in Rod's journal shows the spider in its retreat. Although none of the specimens pictured on bugguide were found in BC, the one in Rod's journal was found close to the border!

http://crawford.tardigrade.net/journal/album7936.html

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Going through photos looks like your right jsloan nice one :)
I wish! :) Looks like TheTyro was right on this one.

According to Dondale and Redner, ("The Ground Spiders of Canada and Alaska"), D. neglectus has been collected in BC (and I have found it in Alberta).

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nah I did comparison too and thought you were right,so. Put my foot in my mouth too. lol

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Clubonia spiders do look a lot like the Drassodes though...but like a shinier, softer looking version of them.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are a male and female D. neglectus from Alberta, for comparision with the OP's spider. The male is above and the female is below. I put them together a few days ago and they later mated. I was able to identify the male from its palp:

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi,

to distinguish for example the clubiona spp. (clubionidae) from the drassodes spp. (gnaphosidae) it's possible to use the shape of the spinnerets.

the clubionidae have cone shaped (smaller to the end) spinnerets which are close together when not in use.
the gnaphosidae spinnerets are cylindrical shaped and parallel together or spread like fingers when not in use (good to see in the pic from jsloan).
additional the pme (posterior median eyes) often times are NOT round in gnaphosidae, they are more oval or angular.

source of information is bellmann 2010.

hope this was a tiny help.

regards, oli

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the gnaphosidae spinnerets are cylindrical shaped and parallel together or spread like fingers when not in use (good to see in the pic from jsloan).
This picture is misleading on that point. The female shown above was actively building a web as I took the photo, which is why her spinnerets were spread out like that. In repose the spinnerets are held together and look much different. Ill see if I have another picture.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here is a picture of the same female, taken when she was not building a web:

Attachments

revilo

Arachnoknight
hi jsloan,

thanks for your tip ! a nice picture btw :)

...spread like fingers OR parallel together...
in clubionidae they are more triangle shaped together, i think.

the shape of the single spinneret (conical or cylindrical) is maybe more important - but cross my heart, i'm not really the man for this :rolleyes:
i only was repeating what i was reading, i never was compareing close to close 2 specimens of both genus/families.

how big in bl are the specimens on your pics ? they are really neat looking !

bye, oli