ice cubes.....

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
so, because of summer being hot, AND my Ts live upstairs with me. I was wondering if putting a small Ice cube in their water dishes would help cool it down just a bit (it gets all most 90 F up here). (we dont have a fan or anthing.)

Plus it would help keep water longer in their enclosures.

Thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Nothing wrong with that. Im sure they would be fine in the heat though. If you can (barely) handle it, they can handle it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My tarantula room sometimes hits 90. Its rough to work in those temps. Almost naked, and still about to faint lol. I suggest getting a small fan and have it pointing to a corner in the room, so it will circulate throughout. Just be sure to watch the temps, and when it cools off, turn the fan down or off.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
I would think the ice cubes would melt quickly, and I doubt they would have a great or lasting effect on the cage temperature itself. I can't see it causing any harm, however I don't think it would benefit your tarantulas much either. If you're having trouble with evaporation, it might help (as you pointed out) to put some ice cubes in the dish, but I have never tried this. However, that would be the only benefit I could see from adding them.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
At most, the ice cube may delay evaporation by maybe an hour.the ice cubes will melt quickly, and if you're regularly going in and replacing ice cubes, might as well just use regular water to top off the water bowls.

As far as the temperature goes, they will be fine at that temperature. I wouldn't worry until it starts getting up nearer 95. If it gets that warm, start cooling the whole room down. Use window fans to draw out some of the hot air and increase circulation to cool it down, or get a window air conditioner unit to cool things down. The ice will have little, if any, effect, and what little it does will be very brief.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Fans are cheap to purchase and cheap to run - even Walmart carries them. I'd get a fan, it will bring the temps down a degree or two.

Good luck,

Marga

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I live right under the roof myself and although not in the US, it gets annoyingly hot in here during those heatwaves in summer. Personally, I'm merely using a fan pointed in a corner so the air doesn't get stagnant (which would be more harmful probably anyways). I'm having 30-32°C during daytimes in here, even with the fan, but the T's don't seem to mind. Just have to watch the level in their waterdishes. During nights, it cools down to approx. 25-28°C after I opened all windows for a while.

So far, my T's are fine ;)

My fans (one living-room, one bedroom with the T's): CLICK - only difference is that mine is a from a german brand...

Buck0525

Arachnopeon
I relate to your issue greatly after that derecho left us out of power for a week. My T's just seemed a bit more happy underground during that time period. Though if you are really worried, you can try an icepack under their enclosure for a little(Hey, I worked EMS, I have a supply of these!). They work wonders, but I would not put it actually inside the cage.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so, because of summer being hot, AND my Ts live upstairs with me. I was wondering if putting a small Ice cube in their water dishes would help cool it down just a bit (it gets all most 90 F up here). (we dont have a fan or anthing.) ... Thoughts on this? ...

Yeah. Read Temperature.... (And, there'll be a better version coming soon, but these things aren't easy to write and my brain is slowing as I become more and more "chronologically gifted!")

Enjoy your little, 8-legged, poikilothermic, quasi-thermophile!

melijoc

Arachnopeon
Just keep the substrate moist by misting them, this way the temp inside the enclosure will be slightly cooler than the outside temperature. Also,have a deep enough substrate so the ts can burrow. This is how they cool down in the wild