i would like to buy this display scorpion

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hyi everyone its my first time here on the scorpions section...my main hobby are T1s...but I saw a scorpion from were generally I buy T`s which this is a female....and she really have a nice big fat abdomen....not all the abdomen but from the middle part till the end....I don’t know what specie is as I didn’t asked him....its color its pale yellow....I thought that she might be mated....the question I wanted to ask is...approximately how many months does scorpions need from breeding till laying?...thanks

Aaron

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
with over 1500 species, its hard to say which one you were looking at...

Scorpions birth live young. After mating it can take anywhere between 3-14 months till birthing, depending on the species.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i tought that i was mistaken....thaks for telling me....ok thats what i wanted to know...at the end of this month i will surly buy it...becouse i think im certain shes gravid...i like the scorpion to..\

Aaron

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
she might just be well fed.

its often hard to tell nless you've witnessed breeding or its very late at the pregnancy (when you can sometimes see the babies inside, somebody will explain better)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its also very important to find out what you're purchasing ahead of time...

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if you can't find out the exact species, atleast find out where its from and if it likes to burrow or climb, then you can provide the conditions it requires (check weather reports for the place if you have to)

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
the sp im going to buy is Parabuthus Liosoma...i already found infoematin on its habitat which is...Arid/semi-arid grassland/savannah. Moderate humidity. Don't dig burrows, but use natural space/burrows under stones and other objects.im looking foward to buy this scorpion as this is my first one...

Aaron

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, that is a hot species. Potent venom. I'd start off with something else mate.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes i reed about it...but the thing is....even with my main hobby which are T`s my second Tarantula was a pokie and everyone say its for expert only i don’t blame them ...but if u know what you are doing bad topics won’t come out ..And never happened nothing...with these things im surly not going to "play"...i now what sort of habitat is required so i am going to set it up....for the rest she’s going to remain in the vivarium....

Aaron

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, good luck... remember this species is not for handling and commands a great deal of respect. Their venom is 3 out of 5, and they are large scorps with a large vesicle (!), meaning they can inject a great amount of their venom if they so wish.

I think starting off with such a hot species is never a good idea, you should work up to it, but it's your decision. Have fun :eek: .

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
spiders and scorpions are very different things though. I really would get experience with something less dangerous before you get one of them, even if its just looking after somebody elses scorpion for a week weeks.

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have an emperor (P. imperator) and I really love the looks of Androctonus mauretanicus, but I wont get one until I'm satisfied that I can handle every aspect of its upkeep. Not to mention I have young kids in the house. I'm not saying you couldn't do just fine with the one you want to buy but the chances are far greater to have an accident when you aren't experienced.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
YouLosePayUp said:
I have an emperor (P. imperator) and I really love the looks of Androctonus mauretanicus, but I wont get one until I'm satisfied that I can handle every aspect of its upkeep. Not to mention I have young kids in the house. I'm not saying you couldn't do just fine with the one you want to buy but the chances are far greater to have an accident when you aren't experienced.
accidents like what....if she will be "underlock"

Aaron

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Locks do have spare keys and no one can stay awake 24 hours a day. Kids have this strange sense of where things are and how to get into them. A locked mesh lid is very easy for a child to get into knife,scissors, screwdriver,etc.

All my tarantulas and my emperor are housed in my room with the door locked but if the kids really wanted to there are two sets of keys with a key that unlocks that door on them.

Also accidents to the "handler" such as having a lapse in judgement one day and grab the water dish with your hand thinking nothing will happen. Your scorp is in an ornery mood and all of a sudden your tagged. I know cause I'm guilty every now and again with my P. murinus.

Last edited:

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, make sure nobody else -especially a child- can get access to the scorpion. Also make sure you, yourself, are extremely careful when dealing with the specimen.

They can be very fast and can sense the slightest air movement and/or vibration. And I am not sure if you have witnessed it before, but fat/thick tails can fire that tail out from under their hide -or out of their tunnel entrance- extremely quickly and unexpectedly. Cage maintainence cannot be taken lightly.

Chances are, you'd be alright if tagged by this scorp, but they have a potent venom and can inject alot, so they can't be taken lightly. It would also be an extremely unpleasent experience to be tagged by this species, I am pretty sure somebody on the forum has documentated it in the sting report forum. Check it out.

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. liosoma, while is a hot species, will cause a good amount of pain, but you should be fine.

I would suggest a packed sand substrate. While they say they're not obligate burrowers, 2 of 3 of my Parabuthids have formed rather complex burrow structures, especially my P. liosoma. His burrowing could easily rival my smaller H. arizonensis.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
first of all i realy thank you for all youll saying....not joking....when building its encloser i will make sure that eg.from her hiding place to the water dish there is long distance...and so there would be no reson why i sould reach that region...secondly int the house there are no kids the samlest one has 15 years which is aware of evrything i do couse shes my sister and no what i am doing and keep her distance...the reaming are all adults and dont even take a llok to the vivariums since they are a bit "fizzy" about them....secondly when i will open the vivarium i will always ware a pare of saftey glasses and even for the food i will enter the food by thge means of a pincer....IM AWARE THAT ITS VENOM IS 5/5 dangeous so i wount take any risks...

Aaron

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
TheNothing said:
P. liosoma, while is a hot species, will cause a good amount of pain, but you should be fine.

I would suggest a packed sand substrate. While they say they're not obligate burrowers, 2 of 3 of my Parabuthids have formed rather complex burrow structures, especially my P. liosoma. His burrowing could easily rival my smaller H. arizonensis.
so i dont have to make a peat and sandy substrate?.....

Aaron

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you could mix sand and peat/soil if you wanted. it would mix the substrate a little softer.

just remember to wet it, mix it, compact it and let it dry out completely before introducing the scorp!

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so parabuthus....sry if i repeat i have to first mix the soil and peat ...place it in the vivarium...then wet it....and leave it drying out....did i understood?....and about the water...i can make a water dish right?....

Aaron