I Would Like Something Other Than A Grammostola & Brachypelma?

bakerj99

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,

Pretty new to arachnoboards, and just have a quick question, straight from a novice.

Would it be a wise choice, if a novice, to keep something like a H.Gigas, or a Colbalt? Fully mature?
I feel these genus's are really cool, but fear of getting tagged/bit very early on due to lack of knowledge about the species and general temprement.
I realize and understand they're both very dominant species, but feel this adds to the exicement of keeping a tarantula.
I've kept a G.Pulchra for approximatley 11/12 months now, and i just want some more excitment, if that makes sense.

So if possible, if not these two, could you reccodmend some species for me that would be suitable, yet exicting, for novices?

Thanks very much,

Josh :alien:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well most likely they will be pet holes, so you wont see them much if at all...but i feel if you dont jump into it, and do alot of research and prepare yourself for their speed and deffensiveness, then you should be fine...alot of novices like the bigger Ts, so maybe L. parahybana?

bakerj99

Arachnopeon
Thank you, i will look up you recodmendation. I will do more homework, and hopefully, like you said, i'll be okay.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I Suggest.. maybe something in the Nhando genus.. .. Nhandos are one of my favorite & Acanthoscuria Geniculata/ brocklehursti are also awsome !!!
very colorfull and impressive Ts.. Can be more agressive then Grammys & Brachys though... N Cromatis is about as agressive as B vagans,, maybe more

Cobalt blue is a pet hole... Nhandos = better

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How about acanthoscurria geniculata AKA genic.
They are big, colourful and always out on show

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Aphonopelma chalcodes are really pretty, and very sweet. Mine's pretty active, and a hearty eater. They're a great spider.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
this is where people will tell you to get G.pulchripes, G. rosea, G. pulchra, Avic avic, and many many others the H. lividum i have is very fast but it hasn't tried to bite yet. all you need to remember is that some T's will be good and some T's will be nasty, T's can be fine one second and flip out the next. if i was to give you a suggestion try to look at a Avic, they are arboreal, good size, they might be able for you to get used to the speed of the T.

synyster

Arachnobaron
I guess I can recommend Pterinochilus murinus in this situation. I would recommend avoiding the other genera (plural of genus ;)) and especially Haplopelma sp., considering the fact that you will rarely interact with it, and might get too comfterable with it being a pet hole. Nothing can prepare you for how fast they can come out of that hole...

OBT's are defensive to some point, but will give you experience dealing with a faster defensive species. And I would recommend a juvie, not a mature specimen. Also, care for them is way easier than the other species mentioned.

dorvaan

Arachnopeon
I'm going to jump in with the recommendation for C. cyaneopubescens. Hardy, beautiful color, voracious eaters, tons of silk. The prefect spider, IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

Danielson

Arachnopeon
Geniculata for sure! only time my Genic ever goes into his hide is when hes just grabbed a cricket, few hours later, hes back out :D

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
I guess I can recommend Pterinochilus murinus in this situation. I would recommend avoiding the other genera (plural of genus ;)) and especially Haplopelma sp., considering the fact that you will rarely interact with it, and might get too comfterable with it being a pet hole. Nothing can prepare you for how fast they can come out of that hole...

OBT's are defensive to some point, but will give you experience dealing with a faster defensive species. And I would recommend a juvie, not a mature specimen. Also, care for them is way easier than the other species mentioned.

Another vote for OBT. Get yourself a juvie and not only do you get to watch it grow but it'll give you an idea of it's characteristics and help you prepare yourself better if you decide to get an H. lividum in the future.

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm going to jump in with the recommendation for C. cyaneopubescens. Hardy, beautiful color, voracious eaters, tons of silk. The prefect spider, IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
Agreed with dorvaan. Awesome, awesome spider, and makes a good 'intermediate' T.

Mine seems to break from the norm in many ways, (she's an absolute angel), but from general reading, many seem to have more fiesty versions than mine.

She's very inquisitive, and will come to investigate any activity in her domain, but she's very chilled out, and never given me any issues at all.
On the rare times she does get spooked though, she has some very impressive speed to make for her hide. Speed which she uses to great effect also when tackling prey items.

Like dorvaan says, voracious eaters! :biggrin:

bakerj99

Arachnopeon
Agreed with dorvaan. Awesome, awesome spider, and makes a good 'intermediate' T.

Mine seems to break from the norm in many ways, (she's an absolute angel), but from general reading, many seem to have more fiesty versions than mine.

She's very inquisitive, and will come to investigate any activity in her domain, but she's very chilled out, and never given me any issues at all.
On the rare times she does get spooked though, she has some very impressive speed to make for her hide. Speed which she uses to great effect also when tackling prey items.

Like dorvaan says, voracious eaters! :biggrin:
I see, i see. Some are saying an OBT, would you not suggest this? I mean, i could understand why you wouldn't, but i do like the colouration of the OBT. Not too sure about temprement though, as far as that goes.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OBT wouldn't be a bad choice. From what I know, they aren't at all hard to maintain aside from their..... active personalities. I would really recommend L. parahybana simply because of the sheer size. I have three on the way here, actually. Oh, and certain Poecilotheria. Even though opening the tank might be asking for a little trouble, they're beautiful and most are fairly easy to take care of. Just remember one thing: you can take care of any tarantula if you set your mind to it and do a little bit of reading. If you're smart and careful, there really shouldn't be a problem. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, as said above, is also a great idea.
Grammostola pulchripes are also cool and big if you don't completely hate the idea of a Grammostola sp.

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see, i see. Some are saying an OBT, would you not suggest this? I mean, i could understand why you wouldn't, but i do like the colouration of the OBT. Not too sure about temprement though, as far as that goes.
I don't really have enough experience myself yet, to feel I could responsibly suggest an "Orange Bitey Thing" to you.
I've not owned one yet myself (due to the combination of temperament, venom potency; and an inquisitive, T loving, little girl in the house). So I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a potent T I've not had any practical experience with; to someone relatively new to Ts.

While you get used to the extra speed (of a GBB), if you do happen to get tagged, it won't put you in a whole world of unrelenting pain, the way Pterinochilus murinus would. That's always worth bearing in mind. :wink:

Though if your heart says that P-terror is the way forward, and you do your thorough research, and are as prepared as you can be, for the possible consequences; then proceed cautiously ahead, and enjoy your new orange ball of fury. :tongue:

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
A.genniculatta, or one of my favorites...Lasiadora parahybana. They're very awesome, although i wouldn't handle mine, she's a hair kicker from way back!

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
Hey man, I started out in the early summer and had a juvenile OBT and a Pokie regalis by the start of September. OBT's are great and not anywhere near as psycho as their reputation - providing you respect that they are fast and moody :D

Geniculata is a good recommend for something a bit fiesty, mine's 4" after molting recently and always throwing up a "back off!" warning but nothing more than that.

Can't comment on L parahybana as mine are all small slings. My Nhandu's too are both only about 1.75".

Guess I'd say go with the geniculata if you want a bigger spider with great looking leg bands or the OBT for the overall colour and attitude. Heck, just get both ;)

Ran

Arachnoknight
Genic's are not shy...if you enjoy seeing them! Only my Genic's and parahybana show themselves on a daily basis. Both great eaters.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
I'm going to say that I love OBT's. They have a bit of attitude for sure, but you also stand the chance of it being very reclusive. They are very easy to care for, to find, and to afford. They also grow quite quickly. I will say that if you feel excessively nervous about getting bitten this may not be the spider for you. In my opinion it is wise to be cautious when working with any spider, but not to be nervous about it. The brain does silly things when you are nervous or scared, you are more likely to make a mistake. It's best to approach working with fast, defensive spiders with a general sense of cautious confidence.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
N Cromatis is about as agressive as B vagans,, maybe more
Since when are vagans aggressive? In general, N. chromatus are in another league of defensiveness compared to B. vagans.

To the op - Avicularia sp if you want an arboreal that you can handle. Psalmopoeus if you want something like a pokie without the bite. Pamphobeteus are a personal favorite when it comes to terrestrials.