I touched and put it in an ICU but it was actually molting!

spudzilla

Arachnopeon
I think I made a BIG newbie mistake. I haven't fed my tarantulas for a couple of weeks. So today I went to go check on them and saw that my A. versicolor spiderling wasn't moving. It wasn't upside down or anything. It looked like it was stuck in its web. So, I touched it. It still didn't move. I thought it was dying so I put it in an ICU and tried to give it water. Put it right side up in the deli cup. I checked on it again. Then I saw it. It was molting! Since it's not upside down, I'm afraid one of it's legs might get stuck. It's spread out like a normal standing spider. It's half way out now. I don't want to touch it again. But what should I do about that one leg that looks like it won't come out? Should I move it?

Bugmom

Arachnolord
DO NOT TOUCH IT.

It takes a while for a spider to molt sometimes. Do not do anything at all right now. Seriously, don't even open the lid. A T can molt in any position, so that is irrelevant. Just leave it alone. ENTIRELY.

MB623

Arachnoknight
I've had few t's including my versi molt upright and never had a problem. As for the leg that looks stuck, don't move it. The t knows what it's doing. The leg may get stuck and if so the t will just remove the leg itself. There may be a little "blood" associated with the limb loss, but should be nothing to worry about if it's just one leg.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Def a newbie mistake but don't beat yourself up over it. As others stated, just leave it alone for the next 24 hrs and it'll be fine. Worse case senerio is that your tampering with it will cause it to loose the leg that you believe may be stuck and if that happens, no big deal either. It'll just regrow it next molt. Good luck!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
how'd it go? Any progress/updates?
Hope it freed itself, and that the rookie mistake wasnt significant.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Tarantulas are not always on their back when they moult, my gbb has only moulted on its back once. Anyway, the damage is done, all you can do is look and not touch it. If one of its legs gets stuck, it will remove the leg on its own, and they it will be back in a few moults. Once its done moulting, it may lay on its side and rest, or stretch out its new legs. Do not bother it then either, your tarantula knows what its doing. Good luck to you and your T.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
None of my arboreals molt on their back.

Also, is it still alive?