I think I've been had on ebay.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm always on the lookout with second hand tanks but it's also really annoying buying things like that preowned because I normally have to deal with half arsed people, as opposed to a business who sell as a day job and will very promptly dispatch my items and reply to my messages.
Another problem with 2nd hand vivs is that I have to collect them myself. So one day I'm browsing ebay and just happen to see a perfect looking tank complete with a heat mat some water dishes and some decor for £60 and then £20 POSTAGE which I am more than happy to pay if I haven't gotta pick it up.
I messaged the seller asking for the dimensions of the enclosure, they replied very promptly. I then asked if they can send my some pics of just the enclosure. They replied they'll get it done that day. They didn't do it so next day I asked them to just confirm it has no cracks at all in it. They replied no it doesn't. This is where their communication ends. I say cool I'll purchase it then.
That was on the 2nd, it is now the 6th. It says expected on the 8th of February second class and they haven't even posted the item yet. Another thing, I looked up the sellers reviews (which I should have done before I paid) and they had 1 very negative one in the past month suspecting the person as a scammer and saying keep away. I messaged them two days ago out of concern for an update and they have ignored me. So now I'm sure I've been screwed over by the prick. As soon as its Tuesday I'm opening a case and getting my money back. I think I'm just gonna give up on second hand exo terras. It's really not worth the hassle.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I'm always on the lookout with second hand tanks but it's also really annoying buying things like that preowned because I normally have to deal with half arsed people, as opposed to a business who sell as a day job and will very promptly dispatch my items and reply to my messages.
Another problem with 2nd hand vivs is that I have to collect them myself. So one day I'm browsing ebay and just happen to see a perfect looking tank complete with a heat mat some water dishes and some decor for £60 and then £20 POSTAGE which I am more than happy to pay if I haven't gotta pick it up.
I messaged the seller asking for the dimensions of the enclosure, they replied very promptly. I then asked if they can send my some pics of just the enclosure. They replied they'll get it done that day. They didn't do it so next day I asked them to just confirm it has no cracks at all in it. They replied no it doesn't. This is where their communication ends. I say cool I'll purchase it then.
That was on the 2nd, it is now the 6th. It says expected on the 8th of February second class and they haven't even posted the item yet. Another thing, I looked up the sellers reviews (which I should have done before I paid) and they had 1 very negative one in the past month suspecting the person as a scammer and saying keep away. I messaged them two days ago out of concern for an update and they have ignored me. So now I'm sure I've been screwed over by the prick. As soon as its Tuesday I'm opening a case and getting my money back. I think I'm just gonna give up on second hand exo terras. It's really not worth the hassle.
You cant really be "had" on ebay, since they have their money back guarantee.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I stopped buying used items decades ago. The only exception I make is when I can inspect items in person.

Greg Nel

Arachnopeon
We are experiencing a similar trend of rogue/scam sellers here in South Africa. I avoid everything that is not highly recommended or well established in the industry.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I just check local craigslist listings or the equivalent for exo terras otherwise I just use acrylic

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
You cant really be "had" on ebay, since they have their money back guarantee.
It's not the money back problem - it's the being pissed about by dick heads, then having to wait for the seller to respond to ebay, which they never do, then wait again for the refund to actually happen.
It's happened to me several times - now if I do use ebay I only buy from companies registered with ebay, not private indivuals, that have shot themselves in the foot.

TGod

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's not the money back problem - it's the being pissed about by dick heads, then having to wait for the seller to respond to ebay, which they never do, then wait again for the refund to actually happen.
It's happened to me several times - now if I do use ebay I only buy from companies registered with ebay, not private indivuals, that have shot themselves in the foot.
100% Yeap, exactly what is happening to me. It's not the money, it's the hassle and the ghoul of pisstakers. Oh well I can get eBay to step in tomorrow and I'm going to very much enjoy writing some well deserved negative feedback.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Ive never had a problem personally. I tend to avoid anything somewhat sketchy tho unless its a really good price. Not worth the hassle.