I see the Patch. Where's the Pumpkin?

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you ever see your Pumpkin Patch?

I don't.

I've had one for over a year and I swear, I have never seen it out. I have goosed it out of it's under ground web nest every month or so to see if it's alive or to check for a molt. But right away it's back out of sight.

It's the small species (Klein) and is now about 1 1/4"; I keep it in a medium height 4x4 Amac with 3" of coco fiber mixed with vermiculite. This is in a cabinet with the correct amount of light and conditions.

I get the whole pet hole thing but at least with a pet hole - you get a hole... This is more like pet dirt, or pet coco fiber anyway. BTW, all my other pet-hole-spiders are out all the time, I'll spare you anymore testimonial.

Help me see my spider. Advice is asked for...

Paul

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some penultimate coco fiber if you're interested in a breeding program...

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Actually I was about to start a breeding project with my rose hair, but coco fiber is a much better choice! Let me know your TOS.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
mine's the same way. its all the way to the bottom though so if i look underneath i can see a good ventral shot. ive seen it come out and sit on top of the substrate ONCE since i got it. Ive also only ever found one molt, but i'm pretty sure its molted more than once. i pulled it out once to check on it and take some photos...but back in it went. cute little thing.

i dont think you get a choice. if it doesnt wanna be seen, you won't see it. if its got a good disposition, you can always do what youve been doing and dig it out every month or so and check up on it. or wait, cuz eventually it will find the verrry bottom of the enclosure and make itself a little space from which you can view. flashlights help too.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 11 columbia large. And every single one of them is completely visable. The one that is the least visable is one of the females with a sac. But she is still pretty easily seen.

Alltheworld601

Arachnoangel
yeah, he's talking about the same kind I have, the small. (klein?)

they are seriously pet dirt.

jthorntonwillis

Arachnosquire
Re

And this thread ,children ,is PRECISELY why we do our homework before we make impulse purchases at expos. I ,god knows have made my share of mistakes.... But I like to SEE my Ts (at least before I go to work@midnight) but a hole for months on end?? sorry.I LOVE ts and have had them all my 60 years,but I gotta see them at least every couple weeks,or they get "rehomed" sounds like an asshole,maybe my ex-wife was right LOL:laugh:

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
I am just now getting into Ts as I'm more of a pede guy and so I totally get pet dirt. Recently one of my prized centipedes died. That same pede was pet dirt. I saw him maybe once a month. I would just drop crickets and go. I don't believe he impulse bought. I've seen an impulse buy right before my eyes that was enough to light my fuse. I was at the all Cleveland reptile show when this guy and his wife walk up to one of my friends stand and starts asking questions about the prairie dog they had. This guy didnt know a thing about it then out of nowhere unloads 250 on it. That was an impulse buy.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I own 4 H. Sp. Columbia large slings that have had 5 or so molts with me and they're always on display.

theWB

Arachnopeon
I have the small, (Klein), as well.
Mine burrows most of the time as well.
But on many occasions I find it out and active in the middle of the night.
It's always interesting to watch it feed, it just pops up out of nowhere from
Underground and pounces on crickets. It's about 3/4 inches in length and has
No problem killing crickets larger than itself.

Not looking forward to eventual rehoming, damn thing is lighting quick.
Many times its so quick it will grab a cricket and pull it back underground
in the blink of an eye, and you never see it, just the substrate moving where the cricket use to be.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have no experience with the small, but my large follow a pattern similar to my C. fasciatum and H. incei. They'll be totally visable for months at a time, then for some reason go to ground for so long I almost feel the need to dig them up to make sure they're still alive. Then one day I'll be going through feeding and see them out on display again. It's not a molt cycle, because they'll be underground for 6 months or so at a time. I'm not sure what the reason is for the disappearing act, but you'll most likely see it come out on its own eventually.