I screwed up big time

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I will give you that in pics they are flat out spectacular.....but not in real life....in real life they are ultra-photosensitive and stupidly reclusive, bolty and about as schizophrenic as a spider can be. There is a reason breeders with them can barely give them away...lol....plus slings can be a total pain to raise...slow growing, sensitive to environment....yeah, over-rated...but as I said, its just my opinion, and know there's lots of love for them, and I have no issue with that.
Not slow growing. Have raised a male sling myself.

They look the exact same until the males mature.
Not true either, male hind legs are minuscule compared to females and it can be detected very early. Males are also darker and of course, smaller. There's a reason that even though they're easy to breed the males still sometimes get munched.

Last edited:

Jekka25

Arachnopeon
That's honestly the best advice I've ever heard when it comes to spiders! Bravo! I'm impressed! Truly! This person knows what they are talking about and really cares! So impressed! It may not sound like a big deal but to that stressed out owner you might have totally saved the day! I'm happy to see some brains on the forum!!

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Not slow growing. Have raised a male sling myself.

Not true either, male hind legs are minuscule compared to females and it can be detected very early. Males are also darker and of course, smaller. There's a reason that even though they're easy to breed the males still sometimes get munched.
Hey based of what you said about the differences in the males and females do you think you could tell me if you think mine might be a male or female from these pictures?
8258E890-DD1A-4464-AC9E-63A32D373A00.jpeg DCD57BD0-83F5-483A-BDDF-CC6BFC286EA7.jpeg DE0FCEA2-09D1-40D8-B484-160A0DE55E95.jpeg 931CB6FB-FDEE-47AB-8CA9-AA5B70EA0185.jpeg

That's honestly the best advice I've ever heard when it comes to spiders! Bravo! I'm impressed! Truly! This person knows what they are talking about and really cares! So impressed! It may not sound like a big deal but to that stressed out owner you might have totally saved the day! I'm happy to see some brains on the forum!!
What advice are you referring to lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Stick around man, I am sure AB has improved tremendously since 2003...welcome back.
Not true either, male hind legs are minuscule compared to females and it can be detected very early.
Ill believe it when I see it, both my immature specimens look the exact same...one male and one female. The male is about an inch larger then my female at 3.5" and probably penultimate, raised them both from 1/2" slings...the leg thickness on both is the same in proportion to the body. Unless you have some compelling evidence to back what your saying, best not say it at all.
Males are also darker and of course, smaller.
Mature males are darker, but the change only occurs after maturity...females will get more pale as they grow. They are not sexually dimorphic before that stage.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
Stick around man, I am sure AB has improved tremendously since 2003...welcome back.

Ill believe it when I see it, both my immature specimens look the exact same...one male and one female. The male is about an inch larger then my female at 3.5" and probably penultimate, raised them both from 1/2" slings...the leg thickness on both is the same in proportion to the body. Unless you have some compelling evidence to back what your saying, best not say it at all.

Mature males are darker, but the change only occurs after maturity...females will get more pale as they grow. They are not sexually dimorphic before that stage.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
The female pictured above is an adult, sexing at that size is super easy...no dispute there. I was talking immature specimens, you dont seem to understand the distinction.
I was replying to someone who said there was no way to tell until the male is mature.
that's all hairs on the hind legs of the male. That kind of dimorphic change doesn't happen in one molt.