I saw my first AGB millipede baby today!!!

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With 10 adults of the original 12 remaining I saw my first young AGB baby today! It's been nearly a year or more and thousands of isopods are in with them and ...there it was! I will get pics the next time I see one. I am so very excited!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
AWESOME! But don't you think the isopods might be crowding out the babies? The one reason I was hesitant to add them to my enclosure!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With 10 adults of the original 12 remaining I saw my first young AGB baby today! It's been nearly a year or more and thousands of isopods are in with them and ...there it was! I will get pics the next time I see one. I am so very excited!
This ^^^ is SO great!! What have you been feeding them? I have 8 adults and I am hoping for babies.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen two, they are a centimeter long but, I put nothing in that could have locals and they are perfect little replicas(well stouter, cuter, but the same) I want to relocate the millis to another tank alltogether soon, it is just that this tank I want to be perfect and it is going to take a great deal of effort to create. I am strating it off with a few adults then slowly transfereing the rest over slowly. No regular iso's, careful instruction, and all my experience. it's gonna kick butt. But yes....after a decade at this...babies! Now just to keep it self perpetuating...

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats! It must be a good year for them, I've counted seven babies in my tank so far. They seem to like maple syrup, just a drop or two on the sub. Good luck!

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen two, they are a centimeter long but, I put nothing in that could have locals and they are perfect little replicas(well stouter, cuter, but the same) I want to relocate the millis to another tank alltogether soon, it is just that this tank I want to be perfect and it is going to take a great deal of effort to create. I am strating it off with a few adults then slowly transfereing the rest over slowly. No regular iso's, careful instruction, and all my experience. it's gonna kick butt. But yes....after a decade at this...babies! Now just to keep it self perpetuating...
What diet do you recommend?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How many do you have?
Two males and two females, they aren't mine though. A pet store here said they didn't have the time to spend on trying to get babies so I took them home in hopes of it. Personally I would keep what most people would think to be too many for security reasons. Seems like you should see a lot more soon.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two males and two females, they aren't mine though. A pet store here said they didn't have the time to spend on trying to get babies so I took them home in hopes of it. Personally I would keep what most people would think to be too many for security reasons. Seems like you should see a lot more soon.
While I can still get some more adults I plan to get about 5 more to make the total adult population 15. But yes with constant mating from one of the four pairs and the fact that when you see one millipede baby there are usually many more, I am hopeful.
The diet is a leaf of romaine a day with the same roachfood I made up last year with cat food any fresh vegetables I can find, fruit and every once in a while some cooked ground chicken, shredded steak, and some bones with cartilage attached. They seem to eat most "forest floor debris" yes and some oak leaf matter as well..oh yes the roach food is only once a week or less often. But in warmer weather more often.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you keep isopods with your millipedes? I do and I wonder if they are eating my millipede eggs.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here it is folks! I know this forum is a bunch of rumor without the photo to back it up. Baby Pics!

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you, yours too! I'm so glad we'll be able to make these beauties more readily available.

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't disturb them as they feed off of the parents droppings. I would I turn try to remove the Isopoda if you feel you need too. I have had witnessed about 4-5 babies in my group as well so there should be some cb babies to go around for the masses.

Kimix

Arachnopeon
Here is a photo of my Giant African Blacks, showing a split egg with the zygote, and some early instars (although I'm not sure if its called instars in millipedes)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow thanks for that pic Kimix!, been wondering about that kind of thing. But what I'm thinking here is why aren't more being seen in your tank JM, I've read some people say they get 100's at a time. It makes me wonder if these are from the few eggs that the isopods missed(?). I think I'm going to temporarily move the ones over here to an isopod free tub and see how it goes for a while.

Last edited: