I really need a better arboreal enclosure soon.

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a breeder friend of mine that has Lorex products. I'd pass if I was you. He's had some issues with them that weren't fixable, I THINK it was cracking, but not sure. Either way, I was going to get them, and now I'm passing. Shame because I liked their product too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For an arboreal, generally yes. Avic, more ventilation. Never seen a container like that, that clear however...interesting.

Wouldn't be surprised though to see a T chewing through the vents on that.

ArachnaeEsoterica

Arachnopeon
I might have to gamble on it if she'd chew through the vents. Doubtful to be honest. I'd notice the chewing before it got out of hand and she escaped.

My avic is an attempt-escape artist for sure but my psalmopoeus cambridgei is a fairly passive dweller.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There's plenty of great plastic tubs at Walmart or target or something. my "legit" arboreal cage is a slightly modified 5 gallon fish tank on one end so it's tall. Very nice.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Since getting interested in tarantulas, I'll never walk into a Container Store again with the same pair of eyes! Surely there is a better tarantula habitat out there waiting to be found. Pill bottles? You're kidding me, right? And I thought snake people were cruel with their endless rows of non-stimulating sweater box snake racks. Hate plastic, hate fake plants, hate cramped captives in the zoological equivalent of solitary confinement. Love lots of room and light and things to interact with that are appropriate for the species, love the ability for prey to hide and be hunted for. More room, even for slings, dang it! We, as a species, may be happy to sit in a recliner in a tiny room and have someone hand us food 24/7, but then again, we have TV's--spiders don't. Most species will go mad with no place to go, nothing to worry about, and nothing to do, EVER. If you won't take my word for it, read Temple Grandin's Animals Make Us Human.

My advice: go bigger and more stimulating an environment, even if you have to go cheaper. Even a wee baby sling needs at least a small critter keeper's worth of room!

My 1/3" LP lives in a small critter keeper with a live small tropical plant in soil with a light mulch of peat moss over it on one end, mounding live pillow moss on the other. S/he has a little bark pile to climb around on under the plant's leaves, and a shell and several carefully-placed small flat rocks leaning against it to make little caves at the other. Fitting the pillow moss pieces together in the keeper created a series of 1 - 2 inch deep crevices that the spiderling and his/her baby dubia prey can climb down in for humidity and security, all near the edge so I can locate them with a flashlight if necessary. I can always find my sling and can lift dead prey out with tweezers.

Bright, indirect light (2 feet from an east-facing window), the occasional mist on the plant side, and an ounce or two of water on the plant side once a week is all the care it takes. It's a charming little terrarium, so my arachnophobe friends and students are more attracted to looking at my wee baby, and the sling is literally all over the place, exploring and poking at things and stalking her next meal. It's her own little world, not a supermax lock down until she's big enough to hold my interest.

solitaryconfinement.jpg

Dovey

Arachnobaron
...aaaaaand that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? Sorry. Anyway, my point--and I do have one--is go bigger and more stimulating, even if you have to go cheaper. Go to some trouble, rather than going to some expense. Just make sure your T lives in a world worth living in.