I really like spiders, so I caught one.

SpoonyArachnera04

Arachnopeon
Greetings,

I am SpoonyArachnera04. You may call me Spoony. I am an amature spider keeper(my first spider I caught just last night). I've had a deep love and facination for our 8-legged friends for many moons and now I am finallly attempting to care for one. I believe that I captured a male Staetoda Nobilis(Noble False Widow). I just made my account for this website cause I want some arachnomentors. Any and all advice regarding spider keeping and spiders in general, is appreciated. I attached a photo I took with my phone, his name is Terry. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Have a nice day.​

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Welcome to AB! Curious. How is the population of Latrodectus in the Redding area? Are Geometricus becoming more common?

SpoonyArachnera04

Arachnopeon
The Latrodectus Geometricus population has seen an increase as of recent years. However it has only been documented with 43 sightings. So yes they have been getting common but not quite as common as it's cousin Hesperus.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I believe that I captured a male Staetoda Nobilis(Noble False Widow). I just made my account for this website cause I want some arachnomentors. Any and all advice regarding spider keeping and spiders in general, is appreciated. I attached a photo I took with my phone, his name is Terry.
Steatoda, like most cobweb spiders, should not be too difficult to keep. (They mainly need anchor points for webbing.)

However, if this is a mature male (I'd need to see the palps to be sure), I'd release him and look for a female or juvenile (or find him a mate if you're interested in breeding). Mature males don't have much of an appetite and spend most of their time looking for females.

SpoonyArachnera04

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the advice. I took a closer look at his pedipalps and they were very small and thin. I took a look at some mature specimens and I can conclude that it is an immature male. Once again thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I took a closer look at his pedipalps and they were very small and thin. I took a look at some mature specimens and I can conclude that it is an immature male. Once again thank you for bringing that to my attention.
Well, until he matures, enjoy keeping him!

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Greetings,

I am SpoonyArachnera04. You may call me Spoony. I am an amature spider keeper(my first spider I caught just last night). I've had a deep love and facination for our 8-legged friends for many moons and now I am finallly attempting to care for one. I believe that I captured a male Staetoda Nobilis(Noble False Widow). I just made my account for this website cause I want some arachnomentors. Any and all advice regarding spider keeping and spiders in general, is appreciated. I attached a photo I took with my phone, his name is Terry. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Have a nice day.​
welcome the the hobby spoony! plenty of arachnomentors here now as for the spider you caught the set up looks perfect and id recommend getting a flightless fruit fly culture from pets mart if they have them in stock around you. now one of the best beginner species are Lycosidae id heavily recommend getting one of those. now one of the biggest tips id say is dont handle spiders it can stress them out causing them to bite or it could end in them getting injured and/or killed

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Steatoda, like most cobweb spiders, should not be too difficult to keep. (They mainly need anchor points for webbing.)

However, if this is a mature male (I'd need to see the palps to be sure), I'd release him and look for a female or juvenile (or find him a mate if you're interested in breeding). Mature males don't have much of an appetite and spend most of their time looking for females.
i wouldnt recommend breeding when you've only just caught your first spider but thats just my opinion