I pulled the rosehair sac after 2 weeks...

sharko

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody! I'm the one with the rosehair (porteri?) named Quelaan from a while back. I asked about the life stage of my arachnid, and she just went and revealed everything by laying an egg sac!

I was going to leave it with Quelaan for a whole month, but due to the fact I will be moving soon, I pulled it early. I'm afraid she might get overly-stressed and eat the precious babies!

Egg0.jpg

Egg1.jpg

Egg2.jpg

Egg5.jpg

Egg6.jpg

Only 5 images per post! More pictures coming up

sharko

Arachnopeon
Egg7.jpg

Egg9.jpg

Egg10.jpg

Due to what is available to me locally, my incubator might look a bit different!

The temperatures are 85-87°F during the day and 79-81°F during the night.
Humidity ranges from 62% ~ 75%

I live in a pretty tropical country, so temps and humidity are really high. I have to turn on the AC to reach those temps at night!

Anyways, I have some questions!

- Does the incubator setup look ok? It's my first tarantula, my first eggsac, my first incubation, first time buying coffee filters, its a lot of first-times rolled into one.

- It had been two weeks since she laid the sac and it doesnt smell. It means they are viable, right? Or she ate too many preservatives
(I'm half-joking)

-I separated around 10 eggs that had black spots on them in their own cup, and placed outside the incubator. The temps are the same, but the humidity is SLIGHTLY lower. (60% more or less). It's been 4 days since I pulled the sac, and the black spots don't seem to be getting any worse. In fact, all the eggs look pretty much the same! Is this a good sign or bad?

thanks in advance, and sorry for flooding with so many questions!

-kyh

awiec

Arachnoprince
When I bred true spider black egg usually meant no good, I assume the same is for ts but all of those pictured eggs look pretty good. I think you may have taken them a little too early but I think they will make it.

sharko

Arachnopeon
Sorry, a typo! I meant brown spots. The black eggs which were shrivelled up I threw away when i opened the sac (there were 4.)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with awiec, I would have waited at least thirty days. They need to be rolled for awhile and you stopped that process unless you roll them.

sharko

Arachnopeon
I agree with awiec, I would have waited at least thirty days. They need to be rolled for awhile and you stopped that process unless you roll them.
Yes...I am aware you need to roll them. I roll them 3 times a day. I wanted to keep them with mom too, but I'm not gonna risk her eating the eggs when I put her through 2 hours of car travelling. (I'm moving!)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, good. I moved when my diversipe's had a sac and she didn't eat hers....

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yes...I am aware you need to roll them. I roll them 3 times a day. I wanted to keep them with mom too, but I'm not gonna risk her eating the eggs when I put her through 2 hours of car travelling. (I'm moving!)
Well do what you have to do. There looks to be a lot of eggs so even a few losses won't be the end of the world.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
so, they say sacs need to be rolled. ive heard its really important the first 7 days so the sperm can get to all the eggs. and its good the rest of the period for preventing eggs from sticking together. maybe some other reasons too.

well earlier this year my C darlingi made a hammock sac, at the time i wasnt even knowledgeable of them and almost tore it out because i thought she wasnt smart enough to finish the sac...plus i didnt see the MM insert and figured it was a unsuccessful pairing.
....i decided to let her keep it...to my surprise 1st instars emerged.

so...tell me why its so necessary for some sacs/eggs to be rolled...but others can do just fine sitting in a hammock for 30 days?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hammock style sacs are different for some reason. Im not sure why but they need no care from the mother. I have pulled hammock sacs on day 2, and pulled females away from the sac on day 2. Either way the sacs hatch just fine on their own. Im not sure exactly what is different about the eggs that makes them able to hatch this way, but hammocks are for sure my favorite. They have better success rates.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hammock style sacs are different for some reason. Im not sure why but they need no care from the mother. I have pulled hammock sacs on day 2, and pulled females away from the sac on day 2. Either way the sacs hatch just fine on their own. Im not sure exactly what is different about the eggs that makes them able to hatch this way, but hammocks are for sure my favorite. They have better success rates.
+1. They're almost failure-proof. I suspect that one of the reasons east and south African T's make hammock sacs is that if the mother is snatched and eaten by a mongoose, honey badger, or baboon (all of which are relentless), the predator doesn't automatically get the sac too (that the mother is holding). Since hammock sacs are elevated an inch or two, that keeps them dry if the ground is soggy or if there's rain. They're pretty much self-sufficient. I imagine a number of them hatch out as orphans in the wild.

Tgrip77

Arachnosquire
+1. They're almost failure-proof. I suspect that one of the reasons east and south African T's make hammock sacs is that if the mother is snatched and eaten by a mongoose, honey badger, or baboon (all of which are relentless), the predator doesn't automatically get the sac too (that the mother is holding). Since hammock sacs are elevated an inch or two, that keeps them dry if the ground is soggy or if there's rain. They're pretty much self-sufficient. I imagine a number of them hatch out as orphans in the wild.
so are african baboons the only T's to make hammocks?
and the reasons you listed sound good...but you do realize there are plenty dangerous of predators/insects/etc throughout the world that would love to eat an eggsac. plus soggy conditions probably factor in with most species.
the point i was trying to make...why would those eggs be ok with practically no attention but others, people feel need to be rolled/etc

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
so are african baboons the only T's to make hammocks?
and the reasons you listed sound good...but you do realize there are plenty dangerous of predators/insects/etc throughout the world that would love to eat an eggsac. plus soggy conditions probably factor in with most species.
the point i was trying to make...why would those eggs be ok with practically no attention but others, people feel need to be rolled/etc
Mongeese and honey badgers are a living nightmare for small animals around them. They're not native all over the world. I've read that mongeese released in Jamaica effectively wiped out their native tarantulas decades ago. Baboon tribes are known to comb areas, flipping rocks, and snacking on tarantulas, moving on when they've had their fill. Lacking the passive defense of urticating hairs, OW T's have to do some things differently in order to survive. Adaptations like being more confrontational, stronger venoms, & running faster (especially terrestrials. Many Asian terrestrials are incredibly fast). I think predators are why east and south African baboons spiders make hammock sacs. That's probably evolved over thousands of years: the sacs that didn't get scooped up when the mother got snatched, and were able to have a higher percentage of eggs/slings survive without being rolled. I'm sure it happened in small increments over a long period of time.

Mothers can move ball sacs when the ground gets soggy, but fixed sacs would need to be elevated, or rains could ruin many sacs. That part's simple. If you're going to make a non-transportable sac, it has to be able to make it thru rains.