i need HELP!!

GraceyGirl

Arachnopeon
ok...i bought a G. rosea...(my first spider...im used to reptiles and scorpions)...but for the longest while ( three days or so) she hasnt moved at all...and she has a scab on her abdomen...she had it when i bought her but they said it was ok...the scab has since gotten bigger and she wont eat... she is still okay with me holding her she loves being in my hands...but when a cricket comes near her she hisses... and she wont go near her water dish...im afraid she might be injured and not sure what to do....the wound on her back isnt oozing but i put some nu skin on it just incase and i have eliminated all stress factors...any one have any idea why she wont move?!?!? :8o

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When you say scab, do you mean a spot with no hair? Because going bald on the butt can be a sign that she's near the end of a molt cycle and will molt soon. That would explain the lack of appetite, too. If it's something different, would it be possible for you to take a picture and post it? That would probably get you some better answers on what the problem might be.

~Jenn

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The simplest and most benign explanation for her not wanting to move and her lack of interest in food is that she is about to molt. How big is she? Did the place you got her from tell you when her last molt was? It's hard to say what the scab on her back could be without seeing it. Was she housed with another spider before (perhaps a defensive wound)? It's not just a bald spot is it? Probably not if you said it has gotten noticably bigger just in past few days. Could also be a parasite of some sort, do you know if where she was kept before you got her was clean or not? Was it a pet store or a private dealer? Pet stores are notorious for keeping their T's in poor conditions. Maybe others have more ideas, but sound like you are doing the right thing with the nu skin and leaving her to herself for a while. Hope she is feeling lively again soon!

Karen

GraceyGirl

Arachnopeon
im pretty sure this wound isnt a defensive wound...its almost like an abrassion...there are still hairs on the scab she is still young (hasnt had any molts yet) and im very afraid she might not live to see her first molt....i bought her from a pet shop...my boyfriend got his spider at the same shop...his is perfectly okay...and shes never been caged with another spider...but if it is a parasite on her abdomen i don't know how to treat it...will the nu skin make the parasite worse? i've really fallen in love with my dear abby (her name) and i am scared becuz i dont know what to do for her!

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if she has a parasite you cant do anything about it. I would just let her be for now Keep her in a warm dark room and disturb her as less as possible. it can be a week or more before she will crawl and explore she is in a new enviroment and it probly scared. all T's are different and Rosies are the weirdest

GraceyGirl

Arachnopeon
is the parasite going to harm her...or worse? sumone told me she could have been injured from mites if her peat wasnt cleaned enough could this leave the harm on the abdomen
if it is in fact a parasite will the nu skin smoother it?
maybe i should bring her to a vet?? or something

Puppet Master

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it is a parasite she has no chance. and parasite is laid inside a T and when it hatches it is a larvea and it will eat its way out of the spiders abdoman, it does not matter were the nu-skin is the parasite will come out.

IMHO I do not think you have a parasite. The wound sounds way to big to be a parasite.

If you have any pics it would help.

Just keep her safe and see what happens. and make sure thier are no mites of crickets in the tank now.

Good luck

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi
All rosea has a spot on the abdomen with a sort of coppery coloration. My old female has this, the same with a juvenile. Other roseas i have seen has the same spot. If this is the case with yours, it is nothing to worry about. In the case with not eating: It is not possible to say that a rosea is about to moult if it is not eating, because these spiders refuse food under long periods no matter if they are about to moult or not! Grammostola rosea are pretty inactive to.! CHEERS!!!///Johan

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Good reply Johan!

Yeah, calm down ;) I doubt it's a parasite, because it's just very very unlikely. If in fact it was a parasite it would much rather be mites than the egg from that T hunting wasp that's out there. But the description doesn't even sound like mites...

The best thing you can do is make a nice sharp close-up photo of it and post it here, then we can most likely say with certainty what it is. In the end it might just be a normal bald spot, or perhaps an irregularity in the hairs which looks a bit odd (like on one of my T's). Also - the bald spot doesn't mean anything in regard to upcomming moults. It's the colour of the skin under it which is an indicator that something is going to happen soon. When the skin on the bald spot turns dark grey or bluish black then a moult should be near.

Have you read the "how to care for the rosea"-sticky? I recommend it!

Good luck and I hope all turns out well! :)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think she's referring to the mirror patch. :) This was the exact same first question I asked when I got my first tarantula - I saw this "scab" thing and freaked out - sure that the spider had some horrible infection and was going to die. :)

Here's a freshly molted G. rosea with it. Quite normal.

Last edited:

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GraceyGirl said:
im pretty sure this wound isnt a defensive wound...its almost like an abrassion...there are still hairs on the scab she is still young (hasnt had any molts yet) and im very afraid she might not live to see her first molt....i bought her from a pet shop...my boyfriend got his spider at the same shop...his is perfectly okay...and shes never been caged with another spider...but if it is a parasite on her abdomen i don't know how to treat it...will the nu skin make the parasite worse? i've really fallen in love with my dear abby (her name) and i am scared becuz i dont know what to do for her!
How big is this T? I think you should do some serious research, because,( no offense,) but it sounds like you don't know anything about keeping them. (Your comment about her never having been caged with another T, and the fact that they molt so frequently when they're young that, unless you have an "egg with legs", I don't believe it's possible for you to have a T that hasn't had a few molts!) I'm sure you have the best of intentions for her, but you really need to educate yourself! At least you're at the best place to do it! People here have years of experience--read the STICKY:Rose hair owners please read-How to REALLY take care of your G.rosea" and do some searches on your Q's- and pick up a copy of "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Schultz and Schultz. You may just be stressing out your T (IMHO NONE "love" to be handled- some will just tolerate it) and she could be flicking hairs- which would account for the growing bald patch on her abdomen. Tarantulas don't move alot-that's why they have the nickname of "Pet Rocks"- usually unless something is bothering them, so don't stress over that-anyway, they're nocturnal, so chances of you seeing them drink are slim (or much of anything else,for that matter! {D ) But read that sticky, I'm sure it will ease your mind.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She didn't say that it hadn't had any molts, she said that it hadn't had any molts in her care (which makes good sense, 'cause it's brand new!).

arachnoking1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MindUtopia said:
She didn't say that it hadn't had any molts, she said that it hadn't had any molts in her care (which makes good sense, 'cause it's brand new!).
no she said "i hope she lives to see her first molt"

BertWright

Arachnopeon
RE: I need Help

The Grammastola rosea or Rose hair tarantula is a notorious non-eater - some can go months even years without eating. It is hard to believe, but it happens. The 'scab' could be withering of the exuvium or exoskeleton or baldness from excessive hair kicking - get a magnifying glass and look at it close - I have several rose hair tarantulas and some of the older females (and the occasional male) will exhibit this sort of anomaly on their abdomen, butt or opisthosoma (back end). I concur with the other posts about checking out the care sheet links and especially the one that says get Stanley Schultz's Tarantula Keepr's Guide - this is hands down one of the BEST resources for tarantula keepers FULL of valuable and useful info on keeping tarantulas. Stan knows his stuff, so check out the T Keeper's Guide that he wrote (and continues to update). As far as the not moving, don't be overly concerned about this - this could simply mean, they like where they're at - it is, after all, their job. Conversely, non-movement can be an indicator that the tarantula is going through some change (molting, meditating, thinking about work, inflation, you know?). They are all so very different and as far as 'rules of thumb' - anytime, you think you have 'em figured out, they'll defy common sense most every time - with tarantulas, there are no rules of thumb. If you haven't already resolved your concern, try to post a picture and generally someone on this forum can help you - I've been keeping tarantulas for years and continue to learn new stuff daily - they are fascinating creatures. Good luck. :)

Bert Wright
Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm not sure why people keep referring to this as an "anomaly" or something strange. :?

It's a Grammostola. It has a mirror patch. There is nothing abnormal, strange, or wrong with the spider.

A tarantula's hemolymph ("blood") does not possess the same clotting agents that our blood has. No clotting - no scab that is going to "heal" and peel away to reveal new skin.

If there are some hairs kicked - it may look like this:

BertWright

Arachnopeon
RE: I need help

The implication IS NOT that there is ANYTHING WRONG with the spider - when I say anomaly, I am using the term in the literal sense - it is an irreugalrity - something different. Not regular - period. No, it is not abnormal either - I was simply alluding to the fact of what the originator implied - something different on her pet. The picture that you have provided does appear as though this particular tarantula is nearing molt, judging by the darkness of its bare, non-haired, or BALD area on the opisthosoma - as the new exoskeleton forms it can be seen through its exoskeleton, in this example, the exoskeleton has deteriorated to a translucent covering. Peace - I think that we are all saying the same thing, per se, and trying to address each of her (or his) concerns. From my knothole, the picture does appear as though this particular tarantulas is a bit bothered by something - I don't like to use the term stressed as many keepers believe that these primative beings are not necessarily equipped with pscychological complexities of we humans. Personally, I do believe that they can be 'stressed' or bothered to the point that they kick off nearly all of their urticating bristles to defend themselves from excessive intrusion - do you have CATS? I'm teasing you probably, but merely pointing out the fact that the 'scab' she (or he) referred to is a bit unusual. After molting, the exoskeleton will appear in almost perfect condition and over time, they will exhibit little imperfections, irregularities or ANOMALIES. An anomaly oftentimes means something different, not necessarily wrong, just different, anomalous in comparison to the pristine vibtrantly 'haired' and freshly molted tarantula. For example, in the most recent photo provided, someone may think: That is an UNUALLY anomalous bare spot you have there - not really anything abnormal, but seemingly a tarantula who gives the outward appearance of being stressed or saying "leave me be, you're making me nervous. I want to be alone" or, "I have a headache, can you just not mess around in the cage for a few weeks?" :)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
BertWright said:
, but merely pointing out the fact that the 'scab' she (or he) referred to is a bit unusual.
And I'm saying that it's *not* unusual. In fact, it's quite common for a G. rosea to have a mirror patch on its abdomen.

The "Mirror Spot"

Look here - you'll see many Grammostola spp. with what looks like a scab.
Genus Grammostola

The 2nd photo that I posted was a spider in pre-molt who had been lining her enclosure with hairs. Being in pre-molt, she was a bit grumpy and would flick at the slightest disturbance. Completely normal. :)

The 1st photo was a G. rosea just finishing up a molt. As you can see - it had the "spot" on the abdomen, even just after a molt.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It sounds like a patch which my G. rosea and C. cyaneopubescens both have, but until the thread-starter posts a picture of it, i don't know if we have a for sure wya of telling exactly what it is.
I too rule out parasites or mites or injury of some kind.

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My rosea also has a mirror patch on its abdomen, at first I thought it was a scar from an old injury, but then I was like if it had that big of an injury, it would have killed the tarantula. So I looked up pics of other rosea and saw the patch on them too, I was like few I don't have a defective tarantula. {D

But it seems like if your tarantula had a parasite in its abdomen, it would have already killed the tarantula since a tarantulas heart sits in the upper part of the abdomen.

GraceyGirl

Arachnopeon
thanks...im feeling a little more comfortable....i got a lot of books today...and it is "normal" so they say...she still isnt moving but i think she just needs time to get used to her new home space....