I need help, What's happening with my Tarantula??

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its possibly trying to moult upright. Best to leave it alone, undisturbed in a dark quiet place.

Shaking it may have caused some problems already.

Also, look up the correct husbandry for keeping tarantulas. That setup is horrendous.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
No hard feelings, we just want whats best for the tarantula and this website is a teaching tool for inexperienced keepers. Theres a lot to learn about this amazing hobby! I hope the best for you and your spider :)

Jearbe

Arachnopeon
No hard feelings, we just want whats best for the tarantula and this website is a teaching tool for inexperienced keepers. Theres a lot to learn about this amazing hobby! I hope the best for you and your spider :)
Thank you :) i highly appreciate your response and I am also open for more knowledge in my new hobby. :) If you guys got any good suggestion for me, please feel free to let me know so that I could learn. :)

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Thank you :) i highly appreciate your response and I am also open for more knowledge in my new hobby. :) If you guys got any good suggestion for me, please feel free to let me know so that I could learn. :)
It's enclosure length-wise should be at least 4x its diagonal leg span (DLS) and 2x for the width. You should have 1-2x its DLS in substrate for it to burrow if it chooses to, and only 1.5x DLS from substrate to roof (They are naturally bad climbers so this is to prevent big falls that can harm it). Then put some sort of hide in there (most people recommend cork bark) that is open at the bottom so it can burrow below the hide. Don't worry too much about the amount of room inside the hide, they will make it bigger to cozy themselves. Keep a water dish in the enclose of course.

Aaand I think that's all. I've never owned a Grammostola species before so I hope that if I missed anything that someone will let you know. I hope your T does well :)

Malo

Arachnopeon
Have you tried doing some research on keeping Tarantulas? You could just spend a day youtubing "tarantula husbandry" or "tarantula enclosures" and do a lot better than that setup.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Search for Grammostola pulchripes husbandry.

You will probably find more/better information using it's scientific name. That species is highly recommended as a begginer species so you should find no shortage of care information on it here on the boards. In general ignore/avoid "caresheets" found elsewhere.

Fill the water dish up and then leave the spider alone in a dark area until tomorrow. See if it is still alive and if it molted.

TOMORROW:

1. If it molted leave it alone for a week or two only making sure that it always has a full water dish. After a couple weeks it should be safe to rehouse into an appropriate enclosure.

2. If it doesn't molt but goes back to 'normal' i would probably VERY CAREFULLY put it into an appropriate enclosure.

Hopefully it will be okay.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Leave it alone for now. I agree that it was probably trying to molt and you disturbed it. If you damaged it while shaking and rolling it, there's nothing you can do except wait and hope for the best.

If it successfully manages to molt, give it a week or so for it's body to properly harden, then move it into a larger and better enclosure. It needs much more space than that. The general rule of thumb for enclosure size was already covered. Aside from that, it needs mostly dry substrate and a hide. This website has a ton of information about tarantula husbandry. Look into Grammostola pulchripes care (that's the scientific name for what you have. It's much better to use scientific names because that leaves no room for confusion), and you will find plenty of good advice on how they should be cared for.

Hopefully your tarantula does okay. For future reference, don't shake or roll a tarantula just because you are unsure of what it's doing.

BryanL

Arachnopeon
He just went like this when I checked today.

LINK:
Man that was harsh the way you were flipping it around.. If it's possibly molting that could kill it. Leave it alone and let what happens happen, that hurt me seeing you flip it around like that in such a small container.. Not trying to sound rude but dang.

buzz182

Arachnosquire
The best thing you could do now is ensure it has water and leave it alone until tomorow. During that time I would strongly suggest you do some research especially on the enclosure your T needs. I hope it pulls through and can be rehoused in a week or so.
We are lucky now that we have plenty of experienced keepers that we can ask for advice so please continue to ask questions no matter how stupid they seem.
My first t was kept in a glass tank with inadequate ventilation a heatlamp and reptile sand on the advice of the petshop I purchased it from, I spent her first moult in tears thinking she had died only to find what i thought was two tarantulas when I came to bury her.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
My first t was kept in a glass tank with inadequate ventilation a heatlamp and reptile sand on the advice of the petshop I purchased it from, I spent her first moult in tears thinking she had died only to find what i thought was two tarantulas when I came to bury her.
Don't feel alone. Back in the 80's I thought the same thing when my very first T molted, I felt really stupid when I realized what happened since I worked in the crab processing industry and duh, I knew they molted. Also kept my T on aquarium gravel in a glass tank with a homemade wire mesh lid because the pet store guy told me it was ok. No wonder the poor thing didn't live long. I feel horrible about it now that I know how wrong that was.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
Any update on your Tarantula? Another thing to keep in mind is that if there was any damage done, it may lose limbs while molting. If it does, don't be too alarmed because it can regrow these in the next molt.

Also, if the worst should happen, try not to give up hope. There can be a pretty sharp learning curve in the hobby if you are just starting out. I know MANY people, myself included, who couldn't keep their first T alive. It doesn't help that pet stores are practically promote failure. If it ends badly, hang around on the forums for a while. Read up on peoples mistakes and successes, but mostly their mistakes. You will learn a lot in a very short time.