I need a new aproach...

Cranker

Arachnopeon
Ok guys. I'm gonna confess. I'm still a little nervous with my spider. It's a rose hair (I know. What a noob) but a lot of the times that I try to pick her up she gets really jumpy and I kinda just leave her alone. But this happens 90% of the time, I possibly think it could be her getting mad because I move her hut. But if I don't move it, I feel like I can't get a good aproach to pick her up. Don't get me wrong guys. I like holding her. But only when she's really tame. I've had her for two months and I've gotten so interested in tarantulas that I pretty much decided that I am going to take this much more seriously and hope I get a t that is more agressive in the near future. But if I can't always pick up a rose hair, how am I gonna ever convince myself to pick up another? I guess what I am asking for is really in depth handling strategies and a bit of advise on how to overcome my scardey cat attitude. Thank you guys so much

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You don't HAVE to pick it up with your bare hands.
Try using a deli cup, and gently prod her in.
Besides, you shouldn't have to hold her very often anyway; You probably only have to hold/move her if you are doing involved tank cleaning, rehousing, or a physical checkup (all of which can be done using a delicup if she's not being cooperative).

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll do this without getting into the "To hold/not to hold" debate as much as possible.

Her being jumpy when you attempt to hold it is it's way of telling you that it doesn't want/like to be held. As Hobo said, you can try putting her into a different container and taking her out of her home (and to take it one step further than he mentioned) before handling as some tarantulas seem to calm down and not be some jumpy/defensive when this is done.

If you do insist on holding it though, make sure that you do it as close to the ground as possible because a fall can rupture and kill a tarantula.

Cranker

Arachnopeon
Helpful... But not quite what I'm looking for. See, I want to hold her. And by the way her names Muffin. Haha (if anyone cares)

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try using the search function its wonderful :rolleyes: But people have said it before, to elaborate what hobo said, try getting her into a deli cup and then when she is out of the enclosure try holding her. Personally, I wouldn't bother with holding. But thats a personal opinion and handling a T is up to you.

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know, but personally if I was the T I wouldn't enjoy my hiding possibilties being taken away from me either.

Cranker

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys. I guess I was kinda looking for a more personal bit of info, based on my problem and me WANTING to hold her and overcome my fear. I'm gonna go To bed but I'm gonna check in tomorrow to see if anyone else can give advise.

¥AMEON

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
[¥] Behaviour [¥]

Good Morning.

I only handle mine when she is out of her lair and
out walking .. then if so i just open her Terrarium
door and let her walk out of her own if she so
choose ... alas i dont do much "handling" when
she's out on her adventures either .. i just let
her go where she please and just try to steer her
away from areas that could be less good for her
to explore.

I find it if the T can do thing's on it's own term's it
will be more co'operative ... but it is rare that i find
her restless and wandering however.

Reason for my method of "handling" is that i want
my T to feel 100% Secure in her own domain, or
as secure as she could be ... while im in there
doing maitenance and what'not's, i try to be very
stealthy l.o.l and would never bother her if she's in
her hide or just hanging out somewhere else in her
enclosure, as it's important to me that she feel's
she has a secure zone.

Second reason is that the less stress the T is
submitted to the less hair it would try to kick/rub
off ... as i think the more hair they got the more
beautiful they are ^^
Mine hasnt lost a hair since she molted 2 month's
ago ... (Well .. maybe one or 2 that i didnt notice)

Possibly that could be a different aproach.

Here's a picture example of her out on Adventures
with me trying to steer her away from the
undersides of a Table ... as it would be tricky to
get her out once she got under there l.o.l

Personally i think this is a great way to get to
know one's Tarantula by just letting it explore
on it's own in an controlled setting and casually
intermingle with it now and then.

Anouther key factor is to be calm and relaxed
when interacting with your T.
Using this method helped me get to know my
T more and more and thus gradually i became
more comfortable with her .. and vice versa.
but i suspect my T was calmer than me to
begin with l.o.l

To summarize i would say that it comes down
to getting to a stage where you trust your
Tarantula ... getting to know how it will
behave and react ... what it likes and dislikes.
And Reacting to it's responce apropriately.
I'E: If you get the feeling it would prefer to go
back home .. then letting it do so.
I dont let mine be out on Aventures for too long
out of concern for Dehydration.

How any Tarantula react's to a situation may
also vary from individual to individual.

[SideNote's]:
My T is an A.Avic but i recon the method could
apply to other species still. "Within reason"

**Hepp .. This turned in to a long post**
Hope that could give some new ideas and wish
you luck there now.

Last edited:

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The part i liked best is when you said you only like to hold her when she is tame..cute. No such thing as a "tame" tarantula but i got a kick out of that anyway. Some are correct above. They seem to be more defensive when they know they are in/on their own turf if you will. Try taking them out onto the carpet/floor etc. They are almost always easier to work with like that. To do that, just use a capture cup with something to slip under it. I use a plastic bowl and the back cover of an old phone book when and if i do. Trying to take them out of their turf is like a 9/11 on their front porch.
Good luck.

*POOF*

Last edited:

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone think moving her hut upsets her?
Would you want to be held by a giant hand that just ripped the roof off of your house?

If you want to hold, I would suggest trying when it is out and about like other people said.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
why a rose hair?

i know rose hairs are supposted to be the best beginner Ts but there may be some better ones. rose hairs can be really great (it was my first T) but they can also be alittle odd. the T that i can depend on to hadle right now is my B. albopilosum. . she dosnt ever fllick hairs or give threat postures (knock on wood). and im in the same position as you. i am slightly afraid of my Ts. not alot but if it were to jump onto my arm i would probably flinch (thats why i dont have any arboreals yet). so do some research on other Ts that are really good to handle. not just the rosie is a good handleing one:D

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
Try using the search function its wonderful :rolleyes: But people have said it before, to elaborate what hobo said, try getting her into a deli cup and then when she is out of the enclosure try holding her. Personally, I wouldn't bother with holding. But thats a personal opinion and handling a T is up to you.
well from your avatar pic... i see a lividum? not a real "cuddly" T.. lol

i suggest what other people have... ripping the hide away from the Ts webbing (at least with my old rosie) is a sure fire way to make them unhappy..

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, so you *want* to hold your tarantula, but she makes you a little nervous.
Some people handle, some don't; it is a matter of personal choice.
As others have stated, messing around in your tarantula's territory is going to put it on the defensive.
My humble suggestion would be to quit freaking yourself out for now. Read up on the subject of handling, go to youtube and watch handling videos, observe your tarantula without disturbing her, things of that nature. The knowledge that you gain will help you to conquer your fears and misgivings. Actually, don't read up on just handling, try to learn as much as you can, on every little subject. You'll find that the more you learn, the less frightened or nervous you will be. Good luck.

Cranker

Arachnopeon
Mission complete!

Well I got home today from work and decided to man up. Using all of the awesome help you guys gave me, I managed to hold her for 20 min and let her walk around for another 20. I still am a little nervous as I'm sure it takes time. But it helped alot and I'm really proud of her that she dident tear my face off! :D. All said and done.. I'll prolly do it again later. Thank you guys all so much for the advise.

¥AMEON

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
[¥] ^^ [¥]

Anytime and Good to hear it went well there.

I would let the T rest a bit inbetween session's,
a few day's or so could be good.
But dont tear the lair up now when you go for
it .. that's bad Karma .. would be good if it had
a SecurityZone it could retreat to, if it got to
be too much.

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glad you are finally getting used to handling your G.rosea. They aren't so bad are they. :clap:

@ pwilson5, Just because my avatar is my H.Lividum, don't mean I don't also have a G.Rosea, who is actually using the other half of the split tank my H.Lividum is in. It is just my personal choice to not hold my tarantulas. Even the couple Avics I have coming, another "cuddly" tarantula, I still wouldn't hold them.

s__i__v

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just a word of caution...

a rosea might be a 'noob' T because its so comon and apears ot be laid back but that can change... fast...

my wifes rosea is a big one. and was a sweetheart. she was even used in a presentation about T's. after her most recent molt we left her alone for a while and the other day we decided to take her out. she has turned evil... she spazzed and thumped my hand. luckly no bite but it was one hell of a warning...

just wanted to tell that story really lol

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually my G.Rosea puts up a threat display from time to time to, never bites, just slaps, I think she tries to be like the crazy H.Lividum next door. ;P

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I care! - LOL

I love Rosehairs, no matter how common currently.

I would like to see a Pic of this Ms. Muffet though.......Waiting, JK - Jason

Last edited: