I JUST went for crickets...

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I only went to the pet store for crickets and came home with a big fat haitian Brown..... :D :D Do any of you have one of these and what's your experiences with them if you do.

( I'm so happy :) )

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw one at a Pet Store once and he kicked hairs like crazy, might want to buy yours a toupee ;)

Laura

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hmm no prob :) I can get some of that spray on hair that comes in a can that The Donald uses.

It seems pretty mellow so far. BIG honking fangs though :eek:

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bigger than my hand! I will get a pic up tonight. If I was insane enough to put him/her in my palm it's legs would hang off. I am horrid at judging size, so I will wait for a pic and you can guess !! I am so psyched about this T....

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yeah they get those huge fangs like the t. blondi and the king baboon...I would love to see pics.

You might want to buy a life time supply of that "spray-on" hair lol

Glad yours seems calmer than the one I saw. You even took the top off his enclosure and he had a hair kicking fit, you could see hair coating the substate and the log he was under. Yeeha

Laura

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, when I got it home and after preparing it's new home it went in the "attack" pose but as soon as I put it in the cage it started roaming around checking things out and was pretty mellow. Right now it's on my desk eyeballing me all stretched out like it has NO fear and isn't intimidated. This one should prove to be very interesting. I have to do some reading on this species!

( can ya tell I am delirious?)

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good deal Melissa. How much was the little beast?

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Only 20 bucks! I got a monster for peanuts. I don't care if it's a male and hasn't long as a female. Since I am new to this hobby I want some experience with several species and then decide which few I want to specialize in keeping. The hatian and the usambara are neck and neck at the moment.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is all I could find so far on care..... BAH! I don't even know if they are terestrial, arboreal, tropical, ... prolly tropical, duh, but I need more info. I didn't find any on here either.

Haitian Brown(Phormictopus cancerides)

Phormictopus cancerides-Haitian Brown: From Haiti comes the 9 inch behemoth known as P. cancerides! Large, heavy and aggro to the max, obviously, these aren’t for everyone! They readily bite, and they’ll flick hairs if you still won’t go away. The neat thing about them is they’re an all-over brown tarantula with purple hues on the femurs of the front legs. They’re also extremely hardy and not very common. The babies start out blue! Recommended to those of you who appreciate this sort of thing! This batch was produced here at Krazy 8's!

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah there doesn't seem to be that much info on them...

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine is affectionately and accurately called Cruela, mean as all get out. Won't go at you, but won't back up. I have fed her f/t pinkies by moving it with tongs and crickets. I recently moved her from a medium k/k to a larger tank (10 gallon) with hide and she doesn't seem as comfortable. Use to eat like a wild woman and is now fasting, must be getting ready to molt as you can see the patch on abdomen is dark. Notice the weird shape on her abdomen as well. Had it for a little while now, she developed it after eating a pinkie. Not sure what could have caused it, will see if it remains after a molt.

Lee

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I usually don't like the brown ones, but this thing is awesome! Any cool tips on care or wierd behaviors, Ihoy?

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love the bronze sheen they have in the right light!!

So far, I haven't kept her real moist even though she is tropical in nature. I do keep a water dish but have never seen her drink (obviously, doesn't mean she hasn't. I would say that she is a pretty non-mobile T preferring to remain pretty steady. Mine will get defensive as soon as you put anything near her. When she is eating, she attacks it quickly and easily. I have her in a 10g tank and am going to move her back to something smaller. I just sensed she was more comfortable in the smaller enclosure (don't ask why just a gut feeling).

Of course, we have been having much cooler than normal temps in Texas and I suspect my T's really haven't felt the warmth of spring and summer yet so may still be a little cooler than usual.

With regard to special care, I know of none. If she molts soon, I will probably seek a male for mating.

Later,

Lee

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have had trouble finding care sheets... but I have heard they are called the Haitian Behemoth and reach 9" at the adult stage... is this true or more garbage?

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, the Haitian Brown female can reach 7 to 9" in size. They are sometimes called the Haitian Birdeater as sell. Given the size and temperment, not one I would put on any part of my body.

Here is a great care sheet from Lelle's website: http://hem.spray.se/minax/arter/arter_e.html

Lee

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is from swifts inverts. They're saying 9+ !!! WOO HOO!

http://www.swiftinverts.com/

Haitian Brown (Phormictopus cancerides)
These babies get large, 9"+ leggy and aggressive. They have a beautiful purplish to bronze pattern on the carapace and femurs! Babies are blue! Neat!!

Last edited by a moderator:

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Also from swifts, this is the adult Male.. looks a heck of a lot different. I'd say mines definitely a female if we can go by looks..

Last edited by a moderator:

karen_in_aspen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW!! I am kindof jealous...they've got one up here...[god knows we barely get FOOD deliveries up here in the off-season]..but our one, dinky little pet shop DOES carry T's, Iguana's, Tiger Lizards, etc...
And currently has a Haitian Brown.... she's HUGE...but PRETTY, I think. Keep us posted and do photoghraph her. [Her?]
--kk