I have some questions about my T Phlogius 'stents'

AidenTurpin11

Arachnopeon
I got this T around 2 years ago and it has just recently molted. I noticed its pedipalps were rounded and a little bit bulbous, as if it had matured into a male. PXL_20240413_023838560~2.jpg Although, I have seen many other places say that leg spans can get up to 8 inches while mine is only half of that, at around 4 inches. I understand male T's are a in general smaller than females but i was expecting it to get larger than it is now. Moreover, i got this T as a sling and it has molted around 6 times over the 2 years. I read that females can live up to 15 to even 25 years, but i was wondering if anyone knew specifics on lifespan or leg span and if maybe if the seller mis-identified this species. PXL_20240413_023027507.jpg PXL_20240413_023024911.jpg Here are some pictures of its first molt and its most recent molt. The larger molt is around 70mm and the smaller one is around 20mm in diagonal leg span.

Even if my T has matured I was wondering if it had a long lifespan after maturing.
It also doesn't have any pattern on its opisthosoma/abdomen and it has lighter chelicerae with darker stripes on it leading down to the fangs. It has quite long spinnerets and tends to web more than burrow. I've tried to give it things to hide under and even dug out holes for it to start but as its gotten older when i rehouse it it tends to web more than burrow. But it still tends to burrow a fair bit, just not as much as a typical terrestrial T.
Thanks
-Aiden

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
as if it had matured into a male
it has
I have seen many other places say that leg spans can get up to 8 inches while mine is only half of that, at around 4 inches
its perfectly normal for a male to mature at a significantly smaller size.
Even if my T has matured
it has
I was wondering if it had a long lifespan after maturing
there is no set lifespan...some live month, others live several years. IME keeping a MM hydrated is a big key to extending its life.
It also doesn't have any pattern on its opisthosoma/abdomen and it has lighter chelicerae with darker stripes on it leading down to the fangs
its also normal for a t to change its physical appearance upon maturing.
and tends to web more than burrow. I've tried to give it things to hide under and even dug out holes for it to start but as its gotten older when i rehouse it it tends to web more than burrow. But it still tends to burrow a fair bit, just not as much as a typical terrestrial T.
Thanks
A MM is more interested in roaming and finding a mate than it is burrowing

NaychaBoi

Arachnopeon
This is the time when our male Tarantulas start to mature in Australia. They generally don’t live long after maturation, I’d say an average of a year or more, however, this depends a lot on how often the male is paired and if he wanders around and exerts energy. The males will eat, though less frequently and to an even lesser extent the older they get. Phlogius males show some gorgeous colouration, and sp. Stents is a quite unique compared to the other Phlogius.

LoneWolf4

Arachnopeon
This is the time when our male Tarantulas start to mature in Australia. They generally don’t live long after maturation, I’d say an average of a year or more, however, this depends a lot on how often the male is paired and if he wanders around and exerts energy. The males will eat, though less frequently and to an even lesser extent the older they get. Phlogius males show some gorgeous colouration, and sp. Stents is a quite unique compared to the other Phlogius.
I agree with Naychaboi. In my experience I've found Phlogius males generally mature around 2 years old. The size they are when mature is usually affected by the amount of food they have consumed. Strong feeders usually grow larger than tarantulas not fed as frequently. Most seem to last between a few months and 18 months of age after fully maturing. A 4-inch (100-105mm) DLS male is definitely not unusual. Some grow a little larger. This Phlogius crassipies Cape Gloucester locale male moulted out around 130mm

Attachments

Last edited: