I have inherited a Ball Python. Need advice on care.

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
Long story short, a coworker had to give away her Ball Python and I was the only person she knew who would agree to take it. I have so far only kept tarantulas so this is somewhat out of my league.

It is unsexed, two feet long, and roughly five years old.

What size tank should I get?

How large will this get and how soon based on current size and age?

How often, and what, to feed it?

How do I determine sex?

And what would be a good temporary enclosure until I can get a proper one? Would it escape from a large plastic kritter keeper?

Thanks!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
1) you didnt shorten the story much lol
2) i doubt that age, that soubnds short for a 5yr old snake, even if neglected..

3) if your looking for a display tank a 20 long would suffice, but they can use a 40breeder and be happy, but they are lazy snakes and may only be seen at night, and may or may not utalize the space so no need to go too big
4) its hard telling how big an animal will get especialy if its come from a hard life..no offence to your friend just seems small as heck...
5) always feed slightly bigger then the roundest part of the snakes body, i use rats because they are cheaper and more filling then 12 mice for a big adult.. i feed most snakes once a week untell they hit the 2000 grams area and are non breeders then biweekly
6) the only way to sex boids is by a probe, its not something youl need to worry about males and fm grow at the same rate live the same time and the only difference is a male matures faster,at about 6months, but unlike T's continues to grow [i have a 15 yr old male]
7) i cannot comment on critter keepers those i only keep feeders in them in totes and rocks.. a full grown ball python is happy in a 32qt enclosure sweaterbox.. but i keep my adolesence in 28 qy and they are happy as well

hope i helped

pyro

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
What can I say, I was once a creative writing major :)

I too had doubts when I heard the size, I ask if she was sure it was a ball python and not some wild caught copper head.

Her story was that she got it from someone else a few years ago, and at that time the man claimed the snake was already four years old. By that timeline I'm guessing six years but there may be exaggeration on her or the other guys stories.

As far as caging, I'm not looking to display it, just keep it comfortable and happy.

From what I've read elsewhere, I was guessing it was male because of it's age and smaller size. However, I know how wrong and misinformed the Internet can be, which is why I come here to Arachnoboards for advice and not Google or Wikipedia.

Thanks for the advice.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
What can I say, I was once a creative writing major :)

I too had doubts when I heard the size, I ask if she was sure it was a ball python and not some wild caught copper head.

Her story was that she got it from someone else a few years ago, and at that time the man claimed the snake was already four years old. By that timeline I'm guessing six years but there may be exaggeration on her or the other guys stories.

As far as caging, I'm not looking to display it, just keep it comfortable and happy.

From what I've read elsewhere, I was guessing it was male because of it's age and smaller size. However, I know how wrong and misinformed the Internet can be, which is why I come here to Arachnoboards for advice and not Google or Wikipedia.

Thanks for the advice.
Yea size wont tell you much he sounds a bit emaciated tbh.. If i seen a pic i could def tell you.. But my old male is a big monster, much bigger then some of the breeder girls iv had. Well bigger round then a coke can and hes hardly fed, like once a month and goes off feed for 4-6months for breeding season.. A 6 yr old should be full grown (4'+) and at least able to take on a large rat..

To make him happy, cut a hole in a shoebox or shoebox tote(not clear) to hide in and give him a 28qt sweater tote and hell be one happy camper. Maybe a water dish big enough to soak in as they will do it a bit....I usualy use ecoearth for mine, but thats my preferance also because i use a rack and a water dish and a thin blanket of coco brings my humidity up to perfection (thats just me tho) so long as he can stretch out and his body is shorter then the box or can streatch out entirely and the box length and with together being as long as he is, hell be happy..

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
Hello there,

I too rescued a P. regius(ball python). She is about 4 ft long and takes both arms to hold. I feed her a normal sized rat every 7 to 10 days. 20 gal. tank. Heating pad for said size tank, place on one side of tank, underneath. NOT on the side. Place a thermometer on other side of tank on the inside, near the bottom but not all the way. Aspen snake bedding, 3-4" deep(she/he will compress it). A house it can hide in and a water bowl with clean water(distilled) at all times. Lots of videos out there on feeding and care, just look towards the more professional types. Hold it about 3 times a week for no more than 30 minutes. Mine starts to get cranky about then. Mine also spends 90 percent of the time in the hide house. Good luck and when you get a complete shed from head to tail, be proud, your doing a good job.

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
I will not have the snake til next week, but as soon as I do I will post photos.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hold it about 3 times a week for no more than 30 minutes. Mine starts to get cranky about then.
This isnt necisary and thats just yours.. I have some wild caught who are perfectly fine with being held for hours petted by kids and etc, granted i do have one who will try to take me any chance given. if she doesnt have a gullet full of rat. But i dont handle mine almost ever, my spider morph female is fed weekly and only held maybe once every 2 months or so to show kids at school shows and still have no worried about letting herin my face..

Also OP "feeding in cage mases them mean" and "handling your snake makes them nicer" are just a wives tale. Every one im mine are fed in cage, and only my ones known to be snappy, will bite, tho if you have or smell like a rat it does increase chances. Each animal has their own personality and isnt something you can force to be how you want it to be

CoinJar

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice! I'm having some concern about heating though. Would ZooMed reptibark be flammable with an under tank heating pad? What are the risks to avoid when it comes to fire hazards?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thanks for all the advice! I'm having some concern about heating though. Would ZooMed reptibark be flammable with an under tank heating pad? What are the risks to avoid when it comes to fire hazards?
I sont use repribark it doesnt hold moisture for me.. But iv shoved heat pads between plastic bins and melamine with almost no air between the two for years on my younger snakes and had no issues..

Last edited: