I have a pink toe tarantula and she has lost her stick and keeps slipping from a height

I have a pink toe tarantula and she has lost her stick and keeps slipping from a height

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I doubt anybody can tell from the pictures. Usually a molt is examined for presence or absence of spermanthica or the ventral side is examined and a 'best guess" is made

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I doubt anybody can tell from the pictures. Usually a molt is examined for presence or absence of spermanthica or the ventral side is examined and a 'best guess" is made
Larger avics and the formers are pretty easy to vent sex at around 3'' and up.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Larger avics and the formers are pretty easy to vent sex at around 3'' and up.
i guess i haven't had enough of them yet. LOL.

maybe it's just me or my phone but i can hardly make out the outline of the anterior book lungs let alone any more subtle details in the picture.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A little more cover wouldn't hurt though, pretty small specimen for that size enclosure without it. It does have the essentials though, good vent, large vertical cork slab, water dish...could use some more fake foliage though.

Looking female actually, your vent shot is pretty blurry though...get a better one if you can. ;)
I think that set ups fine. Don't see avics in the wild making giant webs everywhere. Usually stay in holes in trees from what I've seen.

In fact, I almost think excessive webbing may just be a lack of good hiding spots.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also if it has lost its slip i must ask if she\he has any kind of metal mesh to climb on and lose their climbing apparatus.

cold blood

Staff member
I almost think excessive webbing may just be a lack of good hiding spots
This doesn't even make sense. Given less tools, webbing is always less, and less elaborate....it also tends to take much longer for the t to start webbing. The more you give them, the more they usually web.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
This doesn't even make sense. Given less tools, webbing is always less, and less elaborate....it also tends to take much longer for the t to start webbing. The more you give them, the more they usually web.
Of course it does. They compensate for lack of hide by making their own of webbing.

It's pretty random IME. Some web anything. Then there's the weird one that hasn't webbed anything in years.

cold blood

Staff member
Of course it does. They compensate for lack of hide by making their own of webbing.
It doesn't, because they web more when they have a good area to web. Web homes made in barren enclosures in the corner are really just sad web homes compared to what one makes in a properly appointed enclosure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It doesn't, because they web more when they have a good area to web. Web homes made in barren enclosures in the corner are really just sad web homes compared to what one makes in a properly appointed enclosure.
15284268134201425337468.jpg
My aurantiaca disagrees. Not much proof based on one spider, I know, but something interesting at least.

Wendymacca

Arachnopeon
A little more cover wouldn't hurt though, pretty small specimen for that size enclosure without it. It does have the essentials though, good vent, large vertical cork slab, water dish...could use some more fake foliage though.

Looking female actually, your vent shot is pretty blurry though...get a better one if you can. ;)

The whole top of the enclosure is a vent I will take a pic when I get in

boina

Lady of the mites
View attachment 277545
My aurantiaca disagrees. Not much proof based on one spider, I know, but something interesting at least.
You made a pretty nice enclosure yourself with plenty of leaf cover for your Avic so why would you argue for someone to just use a bare enclosure???

I'm with @cold blood here, and most emphatically. For me it's not about 'can a spider survive this setup' but about 'is this the best setup I can provide for the spider taking into consideration all we know about the genus' and in the latter case I invariably arrive at the conclusion that more leaf cover and more surfaces to hang out on is clearly better.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You made a pretty nice enclosure yourself with plenty of leaf cover for your Avic so why would you argue for someone to just use a bare enclosure???

I'm with @cold blood here, and most emphatically. For me it's not about 'can a spider survive this setup' but about 'is this the best setup I can provide for the spider taking into consideration all we know about the genus' and in the latter case I invariably arrive at the conclusion that more leaf cover and more surfaces to hang out on is clearly better.
Look at videos of Avicularia in the wild. None have a giant web they live in. They live similar to pokies. Holes in trees, among other things.

Give me proof a avic should have loads of anchor points.

boina

Lady of the mites
Look at videos of Avicularia in the wild. None have a giant web they live in. They live similar to pokies. Holes in trees, among other things.

Give me proof a avic should have loads of anchor points.
But I can't give it a hole in a tree, so I have to come up with something that works in an enclosure. Anchor points work.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
But I can't give it a hole in a tree, so I have to come up with something that works in an enclosure. Anchor points work.
And what shows that many anchor points works better than a more simpler arboreal set up like a Poecilotheria?

boina

Lady of the mites
And what shows that many anchor points works better than a more simpler arboreal set up like a Poecilotheria?
I've seen Avics in Poecilotheria setups making webs in one corner that look pretty desperate to me. I've also seen Avics in cluttered setups not really using much of it (like my Y. diversipes), but at least they have options for a web. I mean, mine get a cork tube or something similar and leaf clutter. I just like to give them options so they don't have to resort to desperate measures and create a cramped small web in a corner.