I have a hard question

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lta3398 said:
Evil, that was cool of you. Although most of us know, Ts are not too expensive to feed (mine cost less in a year than my other animals in a month!) hid grandmother probably doesn't know this. She has no reason to understand they are a very inexpensive pet to care for once they have been initially setup:) I hope that this will help resolve some of the issues with this situation!
I'll second that. With a combination of raising my own roaches, and buying a few cricks(can't stand the smell to raise them anymore), I think I only spend about $50 a yr on feeder/other supplies. That's not too bad considering I have over 30 full time residents in my collection now(not counting other "bugs") Key words "once they have initially been set up". But, t's aren't too picky either. I think if you put them in an old tupperware container (depending on species) they would have a hard time complaining about it, so, money shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Expense wasn't the issue. Eventually raising his own mealworms will take care of the problem of not being able to get food, which was one of the problems expressed in his original post.

If he raises the mealworms in his house, it'll get his grandma used to the idea of having arthropods in the house and might even help foster curiosity in tarantulas.

If his grandma sees that he's responsible enough to raise food for his avic, then there's the possibility of her reconsidering her position. Especially if his grandpa's on his side.

Last edited:

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know expense wasn't the issue. I already said that. I just thought it was a nice gesture on your part to try to help the situation, that's all. Some people are taking your post out of context, that's all:). I agree with you, that if he learns resposibilty with something a little less frightening, maybe she will consider compromising with him!

cocopuff

Arachnopeon
Lots of you people forget what it is to be passionnated about something... And in is case, he is.

Everyone that follows there passions that way, I am happy, and cheers up!

He could have waited, but I guess some people dont know what it is to be passionated about something.... Thought there wouls be more people like that here.

I dont agree with her grandmother: to not allow him to have his passions. Its a bad thing, it can destroy a lot in someone.

And please, stop with the - this is not your house - thing. Its insane to hear that.

And to you NWA : Keep taking care of your A.Avic. And I am proud that you followed your passions and got one :) I wish I had a chance like yours when I was a teen! I needed to wait and regret it.

Czalz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
Expense wasn't the issue. Eventually raising his own mealworms will take care of the problem of not being able to get food, which was one of the problems expressed in his original post.

If he raises the mealworms in his house, it'll get his grandma used to the idea of having arthropods in the house and might even help foster curiosity in tarantulas.

If his grandma sees that he's responsible enough to raise food for his avic, then there's the possibility of her reconsidering her position. Especially if his grandpa's on his side.
Very good thought! ;)

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It may be insane to hear, but unfortunately, it is REALITY. That is the way it is. Her house, her rules. Point blank. And being a teenager, that may be a hard thing to understand. And like I posted earlier, we are not out to get him, he asked for our opinions, so he is getting the feedback. No one is trying to deliberately annoy anyone else. I am very passionate about my snakes and spiders, but I have paid prices in the past for that (see above posts) and I am paying a price now. My father-in-law who is petrified of spiders, and my mother who is petrifed of snakes, will not set foot in my house for any reason. But because of my passion for them, I still keep them knowing my family will not come over. But please don't applaud a situation until you are sure it is the best one for all parties to be in. And this one may not turn out that way, or it could if his grandmother can overcome her fear. We still don't know the verdict! This post is not intended to upset anyone, so please do not take offense to anything I wrote.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How old is your grandmother? If she's really old, you may be able to bring the T home soon. {D

How good is her vision? Can she bend? You might be able to hide it under your bed? :rolleyes:

Does she have a will? Are you in it? :embarrassed: