I figured out why some people have so many tarantulas

How many tarantulas do you have?

• Total voters

Swoop

Arachnosquire
People just keep giving them to me for money.
So since I posted this I found a local guy strapped for cash and he's giving me 17 T's as collateral for a loan.

Somebody is literally paying me to take their tarantulas for a few months. This is awesome.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 28 at the moment (5 OW, 23 NW). 25 or above seems to be enough so that I have something to do every day after work.
But the excitement of picking out a new species and watching it (them) grow doesn't stop at any number. I am trying to stay under 30 since I will be moving across the country at some point.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I've got 46 tarantulas, 7 scorpions, one of the females has a brood on her back right now though. I also just purchased a female P. striata to get here next week.

I plan on selling off males and extra females from my slings though, so I'm sure my collection will fluctuate.

cold blood

Staff member
Dog
Caucasian Shepherd
you mean....
https://www.dogsorb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Caucasian-Shepherd-6.jpg

Dang!

As others have said, spiderlings can throw these numbers out of whack. Many of us breed, buy, and sell. Having 300 2i slings takes up the size of a milk crate, so it's not quite fair to count them.

Talking about my "keepers" only (ones that are not for sale), I'd guess around 150 with about 20 of them being slings.
I was thinking the same thing. I have well over 500 in my room, but egg sacs have that effect. At one point recently I had around 800 chromatus slings alone...that's shelves, not egg crates. I don't know how you get 300 in an egg crate though.:bored:

Keepers, as you put it, probably 120-140 juvies and adults and another 20-30 slings I am keeping for the long term....plus some whipscorpions and a handful of scorps....and an arboreal dog.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
you mean....
https://www.dogsorb.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Caucasian-Shepherd-6.jpg

Dang!

I was thinking the same thing. I have well over 500 in my room, but egg sacs have that effect. At one point recently I had around 800 chromatus slings alone...that's shelves, not egg crates. I don't know how you get 300 in an egg crate though.:bored:

Keepers, as you put it, probably 120-140 juvies and adults and another 20-30 slings I am keeping for the long term....plus some whipscorpions and a handful of scorps....and an arboreal dog.
An arboreal, beer drinking dog if I remember correctly. Or maybe he sits there and watches you drink, that conversation was a while ago haha.

But I'd be most impressed if he drove home for you.

Also, @EulersK is probably really good at Tetris.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How many hours a week do you spend on feeding, maintenance, etc.?
Eh, around 6 hours total per week. There is the occasional week (like tonight) where a rare chore needs to be done that takes a few hours. But that's not the norm at all.

boina

Lady of the mites
How many hours a week do you spend on feeding, maintenance, etc.?
About 6 hours, like others said, seems to be right. I've dedicated Saturday and Sunday morning to the Ts, Slings and juvies on Saturday, adults on Sunday. It's very relaxing :). If something comes up and I don't have time I'll skipp the adults and spread their care out over the next week.

cold blood

Staff member
Aye aye meat pie. Although Typhon is only 4 months old.
typhoon is spelled with 2 Os:)

cool dog....thats one dog for the experienced dog trainer only....their capabilities are so much more than almost any dog.....dog used to be bred by, and really only by, the russian army...the dog was kept hidden from the rest of the world until the communist regime fell....a true dog of war.

basin79

ArachnoGod
typhoon is spelled with 2 Os:)

cool dog....thats one dog for the experienced dog trainer only....their capabilities are so much more than almost any dog.....dog used to be bred by, and really only by, the russian army...the dog was kept hidden from the rest of the world until the communist regime fell....a true dog of war.
Typhoon might well be spelt with two O's but Typhon isn't.

And yes. They're certainly not a dog for the first time owner. Or someone who hasn't owned large dominant breeds before. He's already quite a size. His paws are massive.

boina

Lady of the mites
....dog used to be bred by, and really only by, the russian army...the dog was kept hidden from the rest of the world until the communist regime fell....a true dog of war.
Not this one. I think Typhon is a Caucasian Owtcharka (right @basin79 ?). What you mean is the Moskow Owtcharka, a related breed specifically created by the Russian Army. The Caucasian Owtcharka is a very old breed, some say 600 years old, used to protect herds from wolfs and bears. All of the old Shepherd breeds - herd protectors, not herding dogs, like Collies - are strong, independent dogs that need an owner who can handle them. (My friend with the horses is very much into old Shepheard breeds and I picked this information up from her)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Not this one. I think Typhon is a Caucasian Owtcharka (right @basin79 ?). What you mean is the Moskow Owtcharka, a related breed specifically created by the Russian Army. The Caucasian Owtcharka is a very old breed, some say 600 years old, used to protect herds from wolfs and bears. All of the old Shepherd breeds - herd protectors, not herding dogs, like Collies - are strong, independent dogs that need an owner who can handle them. (My friend with the horses is very much into old Shepheard breeds and I picked this information up from her)
Aye aye meat pie.

I made a brief video on dogs trying to domineer last night. Posted in Typhon's thread.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/meet-typhon-my-new-pup.297752/page-5 http://arachnoboards.com/threads/meet-typhon-my-new-pup.297752/page-5

Scolopendra1989

Arachnosquire
I have an addiction of feeding small bugs to spiders! At least its not crack!
I like to think that people who would find their niche in other addictions can find benefit from invertebrates/tarantulas. I know that goes for me personally. I think it's kind of like that 'Pit Bulls and Parolees' show in a way; it takes a certain fringe philosophy and individual thinker to appreciate such a widely-despised and feared creature. Think, a majority of the world is disgusted by these things but many here think they're cute.
Sorry for the rant, anyways, I only have one T (rosehair) but I have two other inverts: An Orthoporus Ornatus, and Heterometrus Longimanus.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Ive got 5 and I'm ITCHING to get more haha but my mum might actually kill me if I do.. but it might be worth it.. I go back and forth for hours

Juniorispissed

Arachnopeon
I'm at 24, best I can remember. Some at work, some home. Still a noob in the big picture though I'm lucky to have experienced help. Most NW, but I grab whatever seems right after doing some homework. I've definitely taken a love for baboons, as their feisty nature makes for fun feeding and husbandry. Some interesting rehousing has happened. Who knows when too many spiders happens, I have the space, time, and money. This hobby is too much fun!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have a question for those with really large collections. What do you do with them if/when you go out of town?

cold blood

Staff member
I have a question for those with really large collections. What do you do with them if/when you go out of town?
nothing....feed and water before you leave and again when u return. They need us a lot less than many believe....even a small sling can go 2 weeks between meals.