I didn't know a Pokie could do this?

Artaeshia

Arachnosquire
Am I being really dumb? I thought only certain Ts could stay submerged under water e.g H. gigas? Just found this video and was quite impressed. Don't know if this person is on AB or not, but hey if you are, thanks! I've learnt something new...

[YOUTUBE]c0sgNaDKxKE[/YOUTUBE]

Oh and thanks for fixing the link Hobo :)

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
All tarantulas will be able to do that, at least for a little while, if they wanted to.

Remingtonsteel

Arachnopeon
Its Because tarantulas have hairs all over there body .Bubbles of air will stick to it ,then the bubbles will stick to the other bubbles to form a light blanket of air around thier body ,which should sustain them ,but only for a while

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Cool, I've only seen it done once before, my friends A,avic done it for a few minutes then popping back out again, not sure why, none of my T's have done that so far, to my knowledge, but would be exciting to whiteness again.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I dont think thats was dumb it was pretty cool to actually see it done rather than just read or hear of it done. Thanks for the post.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I agree with the others, its not dumb pretty neat to see the vid, thanks for sharing.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I flood all my burrowing tarantulas enclosures out about once a year and they are fine being completely submerged under water.Not sure exactly how long they can stay like this (Havent tried lol!) but it does not harm the spider at all!In the photo below you can see the fossorial tanks I use.Holes are melted along the bottom to allow drainage when flooding out the containers!

-Chris

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Nice syndicate, i was thinking of using they breakfast/serial type enclosures for avics or pokies even for burrowing sp.

BaddestRuffest

Arachnosquire
Nice syndicate, i was thinking of using they breakfast/serial type enclosures for avics or pokies even for burrowing sp.
I've got some I picked up ready for my obt's , they're great for fast moving defensive species with the flap lid it makes feeding alot easier/safer. I picked mine up for £1.49 each.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I've got some I picked up ready for my obt's , they're great for fast moving defensive species with the flap lid it makes feeding alot easier/safer. I picked mine up for £1.49 each.
Nice1, they are cheap, I'll pick a couple up soon, thanks for the price info.

BaddestRuffest

Arachnosquire
Fascinating video by the way and I've seen a few t's do that especially the gigas , pretty awesome though. Thanks.

Tarantino andTs

Arachnopeon
I have always read "use a shallow water bowl so your spider can get out and not drown." does this mean that is un-true? I have a B. Emilia, as a terrestrial should I rarely flood her container to more closely simulate a natural environment? Or give her something to submerge in?