I could use a little advice.

RachelP

Arachnopeon
@Michael Pintal @boina

So sorry for the confusion the initial photo I posted was not accurate. She is definitely a matured Aphonopelma seemanni

I get that she's a burrower! I'll be changing/increasing the substrate

boina

Lady of the mites
Aphonopelma seemanni
Oookaayy, so it's A. seemanni after all. My apologies to @Venom1080 , because in that case he was completely right.

A. seemanni will want to burrow, meaning she will need enough substrate to do so. It should be moist, but not wet. Forget about humidity, that's irrelevant, the moisture needs to be in the substrate. It also means You'll see much less of her as soon as she has remodeled her new home to her liking. Age is pretty irrelevant for a tarantula, too. They grow faster or slower depending on feeding schedule, temperature and other factures. At 3-4 years (if that's even true) it may be nearly full grown or still a smaller juvenile.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I was thinking genic, whoops. Im pretty sure A. seemanni hide more and aren't hungry 24/7 like A. geniculata, but they're both awesome Ts

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
But dang, there really are experts here.
Only slightly intimidating
It’s the love for the hobby! I was in your shoes when I joined.
It’s the love for the hobby! I was in your shoes when I joined.

The recent picture you posted is an Aphonopelma seemanni (A. seemanni). Common names (zebra, striped-knee, etc.) should be thrown out because so many species can fit the name. I have heard from multiple hobbyists that this T will often burrow and make tunnels. At the moment, I own a couple juveniles (couple inches) A. seemanni, and they prefer to burrow rather than stay on top. However, I plan to keep them on shallow substrate with a hide when they get bigger bc preference:).

Good luck! I hope everything goes well!

Michael Pintal

Arachnopeon
Now that I see the new picture you posted you are the proud new owner of an Aphonopelma seemani AKA the costa rican zebra tarantula, they are awesome species and if it's a female you will have her for many years, there lifespan is very long. I have mine in a roughly 3 gallon set up with only 4" of cocofiber, a half of round cork bark for a hide and a water dish and she's always out chillin, never hiding, also mine likes it somewhat damp but I also provide a dryer area for her also so she has options, as far as plants go, mine destroyed them so there no longer in her home, her fault, not mine,lol. Good luck. P.s. you just started your boyfriend on a tarantula rampage because now he's gonna want more and more, I started with 1 tarantula 4 Years ago and within 8 months had over 50 and now I own around 200 and still growing, just saying, lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
With reading I knew I wanted to choose a zebra, female, already almost grown.
A Zebra? Nice choice!
I always wanted to purchase a Gorilla, on the other hand. A real friend 'I-can-always-count-about' from everyday house cleaning to play videogames to whatever.

Obviously female, and already almost grown as well: I don't want to risk to be viewed as a 0.1 with one of those powerful dastards when the 'heat' moment arrive :pompous:

RachelP

Arachnopeon
@Michael Pintal lol that's interesting about them "redecorating", but if it happens what can ya do. But also it's great to hear the enthusiasm about the species! I really like her. I agree he'll probably want more, it's definitely going to be a huge surprise.

But 200!!! WOW.

RachelP

Arachnopeon
@Chris LXXIX I get your sarcasm, but try to understand, I'm learning along the way.

But is it really hard to tell whether one is male or female?

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Sounds like you got all the advice you need, but I’m just going to add that you’re pretty awesome for getting your hubby a tarantula for Christmas. Well done!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Chris LXXIX I get your sarcasm, but try to understand, I'm learning along the way.
I swear that I was serious, to own a Gorilla I can teach the 'how to' was always one of my dreams since forever but sadly, is too hard to easily purchase one :(

But is it really hard to tell whether one is male or female?
At first, yes, can be a bit hard. You need to check the exuvia for a 100% spider-sex I.D, but exuviae never lies :)

RachelP

Arachnopeon
@Michael Pintal My main concern had been the small plastic thing I have her in now from the store - it is not 3x her legspan (which is 4.5"). Her legs touch the sides while partly bent, as the enclosure is basically her size. They keep all their T's of every size in these until sold, except some larger T's they have in the back (bird-eating).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
@Michael Pintal My main concern had been the small plastic thing I have her in now from the store - it is not 3x her legspan (which is 4.5"). Her legs touch the sides while partly bent, as the enclosure is basically her size. They keep all their T's of every size in these until sold, except some larger T's they have in the back (bird-eating).
I'd put it in something bigger temporarily. With a water dish.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Since I don't think it's been mentioned yet :

Tom Moran of http://tomsbigspiders.com is a great source for information on tarantulas of all types as well as basic husbandry and such. That video really begins at 1:22.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Dollars to Doughnuts its LLL Reptile?? I have seen this at their tables in Expos many times. and they ship T's the same way in a short/med deli on substrate and one wet paper towel crammed in with them.

cold blood

Staff member
@sdsnybny The place I bought from starts with "Scales..."
For future reference, buy ts from t dealers, not reptile dealers....almost all of the bad places to buy ts, are reptile dealers. Despite what they tell you, their care is completely unrelated...which is why reptile places typically keep and ship ts in poor conditions. Its like buying your next television set from the Ford dealer.

Once you get it situated properly (without the wood chips), I would transfer it right in there....sure, it can live crammed in a deli cup, but it shouldn't have to..

Also 70 is just fine....I say this in case you are jacking your temps in your home to 78 for the t.

I'm gonna ask about something else pet stores are notorious for selling...did they sell you a heat mat or lamp? Did they sell you a hygrometer? If they did, return them...pet store care more about the bottom line than the animals it sells all too often.

Last edited: