Hysterocrates questions

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Hysterocrates Research questions

Hello. As my name suggests, I am a "recovering" arachnophobe (I didn't always have a fear of spiders; it started around when I was 5) who is learning to appreciate these very interesting-and very much misunderstood, as I am rapidly finding out-creatures.

I am posting because I am looking for existing information of the Hysterocrates genus and its behavior. I'm considering doing a research project based on this which could even become my senior thesis. As I understand it, this genus of spiders will at times enter water, possibly even completely submerging itself, for short periods of time. I am curious as to whether it will actually *hunt* underwater for prey, and am thinking of setting up an experiment for this exact purpose. However, I know absolutely nothing about this genus. The information I'd like to find is

A) Is the information about this genus entering water accurate.
B.) How to keep this spider in a naturalistic setup (Neccessary for the experiment if I go through with it)
C.) How many people have actually seen their Hysterocrates go underwater/take a short swim?
D.) Relating to the above, has anyone seen their spiders take aquatic/submerged prey items?

Of course, I hope to get to know everyone here well, and hope this will help me to further my growing appreciation of this interesting-and sometimes even beautiful-group of animals. And for anyone with the paitience to address my questions, thank you for taking the time. There is so much I do not know about tarantulas in general, I don't know where to begin.

Last edited:

Fresher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are some good videos on youtube of H.Gigas swimming etc, I myself have a couple that i am keeping communal, with the intention of putting a largo "swimming pool" like waterdish in when they grow larger, i have observed the species sharing a burrow and they are very interesting to keep :)

super-pede

Arachnobaron
The search function is my favorite function of all.You should learn to use it.You can find enough information to measure on a scale.

(that was lame ^but true)

S-P

super-pede

Arachnobaron
The search function is my favorite function of all.You should learn to use it.You can find enough information to measure on a scale.

(that was lame ^but true)

S-P

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer