Hysterocrates laticeps and african T's help please

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, Id like to ask about this specie, nigerian Brown. If there are owners of this T, Id like to hear Your experiences with it. I'm also looking for tips for an advanced care, size of enclosure, ideál temperature and substrate, aswell as some stuff about its temper and how to handle it. What should I be careful about and what does this T needs from a good keeper. Basically every experience and oppinions are welcomed. My last question comes to African T's in general as I want to specialized on these. I would like to know, which of them You found most attractive and why. Again...as much experiences and oppinions as possible. Furthermore I want to appologize for my English, as I'm not a native speaker:)

cold blood

Staff member
I'm also looking for tips for an advanced care, size of enclosure
Size of the enclosure is 100% dependent on the size of the t in question. They are fast, need a little more room, and need sufficient room to burrow. In the wild, Hystocrates create some of the deepest, most elaborate burrows around.....some burrows have been found 30 feet down or more.

They also tend to take to water readily, even diving and remaining submerged for extended periods...they are known to hunt fish as well as dive beneath the water when spooked.

ideál temperature
Over 70.....just like almost all ts.
and substrate
Any sub works...substrate is more a matter of personal preference....although they do need damp sub, so substrates prone to holding moisture longer will mean less attention from you.

Coco fiber, eco earth, peat moss or top soil all work...as does any combination of these....you can even add moss to the mix.
aswell as some stuff about its temper and how to handle it.
They are fast, and can actually be nasty, although they do prefer to be in a burrow, which helps as they usually do go to that burrow and avoid confrontation...but if exposed, they can be a little nasty...and don't let size fool you, they can move really really fast. If you meant handle in the literal sense (I don't believe you did), no African is good for that......you definitely wouldn't want to get tagged by one.

My last question comes to African T's in general as I want to specialized on these. I would like to know, which of them You found most attractive and why.
Frankly all of the Africans have an appeal and all are pretty good looking in their own right. Some have unique features, like horns...Ceratogryus marshalli/darlingi

Some have pretty colors like this OBT and M. balflouri

or amazingly marked carapaces like A. ezendami

Some don't have either, and are just shades of brown like Hystocrates or P. muticus, yet are still quite beautiful in their own rights

Others are beautiful, but the real draw is in a unique way of life...like I. mira and its trapdoor lifestyle
Furthermore I want to appologize for my English, as I'm not a native speaker:)
No need to apologize...your English is fine...plus being an international community, we are used to it.

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
Thanx alot for very useful informations guys, really appreciate it. My T is if I remember correctly 2nd molt and no, I really didnt ment to handle it in my hands without gloves or other protection. Yet, Its really great to show the pictures, but actually Id appreciate If You could name few(thanx for doing that). I'm starting with africans, as I have a family in Ghana it just came like that. Previously I had only Brachyopelma and Grammostola species, so this is for me a fresh start;) I'm new there and the community seems really nice and friendly so I'm looking forward to share various experiences. Thanx for helping me out!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
All of the Hysterocrates spp. can be kept pretty much the same way.

They are fossorial, so they spend most of their time underground. Provide them with several inches of moist sub, and watch as they create elaborate tunnels and burrow systems. Mine all have multiple entrances, and are usually out at the opening of their burrows at night. I used to have water bowls in their enclosures but they would consistently bury them everyday. Instead I flood the sub every now and again to get some moisture down to where the spider is. Their care is fairly simple, and they are pretty hardy, but not drought tolerant like most other africans.

Very cool genus to keep, quite underrated IMO.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't handle Hysterocrates. Or any tarantula ideally. Gloves would need to be steel to stop those fangs. It's stressful for them, and a great way to get bit. Hysterocrates burrow, digging it out to handle is very irresponsible.

Deep moist sub is all they need. They'll take it from there. I only use water dishes in large Hysterocrates cages, as they get covered quickly.

Mine are fast growing and very good eaters.