Hysterocrates hercules what exacually is the fuss?

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looking forward to it, did you see the herc pic posted on page 1, The carapace on that is unbelievable.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
the intriguing part is that mine are that brown for a month or two - then they become black again for the majority of the molt cycle ... then it repeats

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Now what is this? Is this a Phoneyusa ?

This looks very similar almost identical to what I have

What do you think Tom ?
You would have to ask Peter Grabowitz of Germany since its his spider/photo;). A few months ago when he posted it I did notice the striking resemblances to the spiders that you have. If I remember correctly Peter was calling them possibly Phoneyusa. That was always my first guess if you remember, but I don't know enough about African spiders to give a serious answer. If I have time later I will post the pics I took in AZ, but I was a bit disappointed the way they turned out.

Later, Tom

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only had this girl 1-2 weeks, can't wait until she molts, her carapace is 37 x 32 mm

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard that if you send the crown prince of Nigeria $100,000 so he can flee to the US, he will bring you many H. hercules as repayment. {D

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Comparison my sp nigeria and sp cameroon

Here is a few shots of my sp nigeria with my sp cameroon 6" female... I now have a user on BTS with a topic, been informed Richard Gallon is having some problems with his PC and should get back to me. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Bugmom

Arachnolord

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for this, it does look very similar, I would love to get one... Grabowitz still selling these?
Don't know, but he may have some stock hidden away, or may know if somebody is breeding them. Worth emailing him and asking

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
Im gonna post up new pictures of mine tomorrow, they haven't been out in a while.. I think that we have the same specimens

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I love the look of the sp Nigeria. Should they ever be bred in America, I would definitely pick up a few.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah me too, it was sold as hercules, but until Gallon looks at it, it is sp. Nigeria for now.

I have a copy of Andew smiths baboon id guide, and the only two sp. from Nigeria are laticeps and hercules, so unless it is an undescribed sp, it is one of those two, laticeps has an even rounder carapace but is a lot smaller, 23 x 23 mm, hercules 36 x 30 mm, this girl is about 37 x 32 mm, give or take a mm.

I know for a fact it is Hysterocrates because of the cheliciral granules, so that much is a given.

Now I am really interested to find if out Arachnidrvas specimen is Hysterocrates or Phoneyusa... If it has the granules it is Hysterocrates.

Last edited:

xTimx

Arachnoknight
adding my photos of my confirmed female 4" H. Hercules! her name is Lolth. HOPE THIS HELPS OUT!

2013-02-26 12.21.29.jpg 2013-02-27 08.19.54.jpg 2013-02-27 08.20.43.jpg

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
adding my photos of my confirmed female 4" H. Hercules! her name is Lolth. HOPE THIS HELPS OUT!

View attachment 113492 View attachment 113493 View attachment 113494
Hard to say for sure what this is, it looks nothing like the juveniles of my spider, but it does have a very olive sheen...
Leg IV is thicker than leg I, so it is probably closer to H. gigas or crassipes, I can say for certain it is not hercules, no one can confirm they have hercules, ask the foreword on baboon spiders Mr. Richard Gallon, who confirmed this for you?
Without knowing for certain if it is wild caught it could be a hybrid between those two listed above, hence the problem with Hysterocrates.

I'm looking at my copy of Andrew Smiths Baboon Spiders right now, any info where the seller got it from?

Last edited: