Hydrogen Peroxide and T's

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if I could use H2O2 to clean some of my T cages. I am having a problem with mold with my Blondi and my Lividum, and was wondering if I sprayed some H2O2 in the cage to kill the mold, would it harm the T at all? Naturally I'd take the T out before I clean and let the cage air out.

On this site they talk about all the wonders of H2O2 and was wondering if I could add T cage cleaner to the list? I don't see a reason why it would hurt, when it reacts with mold and other stuff, it releases the oxygen atom and water is left over. Please read this site and let me know what you think.

http://www.h2o2-4u.com/

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
When I detect the dreaded nematodes, I dab HP on the mouthparts with a cotton swab. It foams like crazy, indicating that it's doing SOMETHING! But, I've had two Ts survive the nematodes and ensuring bacterial infection and the HP swabbing didn't seem to hurt them a bit!

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aright, thanks sounds good, I'm gonna give it a try and see how it turns out.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dreaded nematodes...

I have used hydrogen peroxide just as MizM mentioned a few times with no adverse reaction to the T. Keeping mold, fungus and unwanted visitors is a never ending chore....

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I keep all my cages dry with a full water bowl... never had mold or fungus.

I will try the peroxide trick if I ever get it though... I'm not holding my breath. ;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
NF Spiders said:
Aright, thanks sounds good, I'm gonna give it a try and see how it turns out.
How are you intending to do it? Just wash it out after you've removed all of the substrate? Or pour it directly on the mold/fungus? Do the effects of washing it out last, or would you have to do it each time a spore appears?

tarantula666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H2O2 comes in different concentrations, wich should be used for a T when trying to get rid of nematodes ??
my sister had a bad scalp-burn from the stuff once because the hairdresser
used to much of it or left it to long in her hair before rinsing it out.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
MizM said:
When I detect the dreaded nematodes, I dab HP on the mouthparts with a cotton swab. It foams like crazy, indicating that it's doing SOMETHING! But, I've had two Ts survive the nematodes and ensuring bacterial infection and the HP swabbing didn't seem to hurt them a bit!
Hi MizM. How consentrated was the HP when you did this? How long did it take the tarantula to recover? and have you by any chance any before and after Photos of the tarantula you treated ?
Sorry for all the questions I´m just very intrested thats all. :)
Cheers

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
MizM were nem's visable or was this "chalk/goo mouth" if it was the latter the O2 from the HP may have helped to kill off the bacterial problems if they were anaerobes :?

UberUsumbara

Arachnopeon
If anyone wants to use this stuff,whatever the concentration, just clean the tank or use it when the spider is out of the enclosure. Let it air out for a half hour or so and then put the spider back in. H2O2 is unstable and will quickly break down into H2O and oxygen.

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would strongly suggest you use the 3% (10 volumes) peroxide sold as a disinfectant.

Hairdresser peroxide is much stronger and could very likely hurt and/or kill your T. The strength of regular hairdresser peroxyde is 20 volumes and they have them in varying strengths up to 40 volumes. Their sole purpose is as a bleaching agent for coloring hair.

Only use the peroxide designated to clean wounds with: 3% (10 volumes).

Pixie

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah 3% is what I'm using. They say to use 35% for cleaning the house.

I would probably just spray it into the cage and let set, see how good a job it did, then respray if needed. I'd probably mix up the substrate afterwards too.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I used the over-the-counter pharmacy solution. Pretty sure it's only 3%. NEVER use the hair-bleaching strength on anything BUT hair!! I use 40% to bleach my roots!

As far as the nematodes go, not even sure that's what it was, but the MOMENT I saw the white goo mouth, I swabbed! I'm a bit paranoid, having lost several Ts to nematodes! :( It could even have been cricket guts... but I take no chances!!!