Hybrid(s?) for sale at local expo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
Every once in a while I make it out to the All Animal Expo in Wheaton, IL. Generally it's a decent show, especially since there are so few in the area. This morning, however, I came across this:

Though it's a contentious issue and I myself am opposed to hybridizing tarantulas, I did not confront the vendor nor did I purchase the animal (voting with my dollar, I suppose -- though I'm 99% sure that this one would have sold by the end of the day). I've never seen a hybrid for sale offline before. Since I unfortunately don't get to make it out to many shows, I'm curious if others have seen hybrids for sale at other events.

philge

Arachnosquire
I've never seen a hybrid for sale before. I know that this is a very controversial topic in this hobby. While I'm not entirely against the idea of hybrids, this picture kind of made me cringe because it's labeled with a weird mash-up of scientific and common names.

rob0t

Arachnoknight
I'd be more inclined to believe the person selling it has no idea what they have rather than them having an actual hybrid tarantula.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Albovagans is actually a quite common hybrid in the hobby.

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
Are these fertile? has anyone tried mating a MM Albovagans to a MF albovagans?

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
...this picture kind of made me cringe because it's labeled with a weird mash-up of scientific and common names.
Agreed. Wish I could have seen my face when I initially read that.

I'd be more inclined to believe the person selling it has no idea what they have rather than them having an actual hybrid tarantula.
That's entirely possible. This vendor in particular was more focused on herps, I believe, and definitely a little (read: a lot) sketchy. Then again, I've seen albovagans in the trade before, so it's not too far fetched to think they somehow got their hands on one.

Albovagans is actually a quite common hybrid in the hobby.
Yeah, that's the one I tend to see the most on forums and such. I've just never seen one at a show before...always thought it was considered a faux paus.

theWB

Arachnopeon
I was there 2 Sundays ago. Didn't see any hybrids, but there was a vendor there with quite a collection of female T's. I believe the vendors name was Evil's Tarantulas. Was the first time I had been there. My kids have been bugging me for Sugar Gliders since we left there, some guy was walking around letting everyone hold these Sugar Gliders. Sticking with the T's.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 08:16 PM ----------

The name of the vendor with T's was Evil's Arachnids. They have a Facebook page, see link below. Looks like he lists what he is bringing before the expo on his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evils-Arachnids/100107883470825

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Are these fertile? has anyone tried mating a MM Albovagans to a MF albovagans?
Yes they will have babies. The truth is most of the red rumped Brachypelmas are already a mixed species to begin with. So most likely you would be crossing a hybrid Red Rumped Brachypelma X Brachypelma albopilosum, and creating spiderlings that will still be able to mate with each other and have viable off spring.

Every time you buy a B. vagans you are probably not getting a spider that is pure , its just not labeled hybrid. I suspect there is more hybrids floating around this hobby than most know. I'm not saying hybrids are ok in any way though, and think its stupid to knowing sell them, but a coming from a reptile dealer , I'm not much surprised. They just don't give a :poop: about the spiders they sell.

Later, Tom

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I was there 2 Sundays ago. Didn't see any hybrids, but there was a vendor there with quite a collection of female T's. I believe the vendors name was Evil's Tarantulas. Was the first time I had been there. My kids have been bugging me for Sugar Gliders since we left there, some guy was walking around letting everyone hold these Sugar Gliders. Sticking with the T's.

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 08:16 PM ----------

The name of the vendor with T's was Evil's Arachnids. They have a Facebook page, see link below. Looks like he lists what he is bringing before the expo on his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evils-Arachnids/100107883470825
This wasn't at Evil's table, just so everyone knows.

And I feel you on the sugar gliders...that guy is persuasive -- at least to the women and children, haha

...coming from a reptile dealer , I'm not much surprised. They just don't give a :poop: about the spiders they sell.
I always get the best deals from herp guys getting rid of spiders they know nothing about. I'm not condoning their ignorance, of course...just sayin...

stiltskin1989

Arachnopeon
.....this picture kind of made me cringe because it's labeled with a weird mash-up of scientific and common names.
I agree completely. and yes i know the hybrid issue has no end in sight but im not entirely against the idea. But the simple fact that this happened at an expo is what really surprises me to be honest. Vendors have to start to pay more attention to what they are actually selling rather than exploiting people for a buck.

Naga

Arachnopeon
Going by what I saw on Evil's Arachnids Facebook page (granted that I'm new to the hobby and not entirely know-it-all), he actually looks like a pretty reputable dealer. I could, however, be wrong, and wouldn't be surprised at all

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
Just to reemphasize:

This wasn't at Evil's table...
Going by what I saw on Evil's Arachnids Facebook page (granted that I'm new to the hobby and not entirely know-it-all), he actually looks like a pretty reputable dealer. I could, however, be wrong, and wouldn't be surprised at all
I don't want to see a dealer smeared on account of miscommunication. Again, this was another vendor at the show who was primarily dealing in reptiles and amphibians.

Naga

Arachnopeon
I know what you meant, I read through the page. But, it looks like a good dealer for anyone to check out in the Illinois area. This is called good publicity :)

theWB

Arachnopeon
Didn't mean to confuse anybody, I would have done business with Evil's if I hadn't have gotten the NO MORE T's from
My wife before I left for the expo. Had a great collection, was knowledgable and friendly.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I know what you meant...
Didn't mean to confuse anybody...
I know, I just wanted to be absolutely clear to all the lurkers that may swing by this thread.

very commendable .. +1
Thank you. Truthfully, though, I feel this sort of thing should be required etiquette of all invert enthusiasts/herpetoculturalists. Everyone knows how fast stories get out of control in the exotics hobby, heh.

I should clarify that the only reason I haven't named the vendor in question is that I'm only 90% certain of the name of their business (they had no sign posted or business cards). I'm not willing to publicly accuse someone without absolute certitude (for the aforementioned reasons). I suppose the point of this thread was just a heads-up to Chicago-area enthusiasts -- please just keep an eye out for this sort of thing. Maybe it's a one-time thing, maybe not. If you're okay with hybrids, fine -- I'm likely not going to be able to change your mind. If you're opposed to this sort of thing, though, please remember to vote with your dollar and support the more professional vendors.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Everyone knows how fast stories get out of control in the exotics hobby, heh.
too true! I know a couple amazing dealers/vendors/hobbiests whose names get smeared by other fellow enthusiasts.

(they had no sign posted or business cards)
i wouldnt put my name on some tainted ts either haha..

Very interesting points Tom made earlier though
Every time you buy a B. vagans you are probably not getting a spider that is pure , its just not labeled hybrid. I suspect there is more hybrids floating around this hobby than most know.
When ya stop to think about it, it is likely very true. Probably the case with a LOT of species/generas

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was there and didn't see this, I wonder who it was that was selling them. AFAIK, Randy was the only table dedicated solely to tarantulas. Also, he had some of my borneo blacks and they are getting quite large. :) All in all, it was a weak show this time around.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
those borneos ARE DEFINITELY gettin some size. both of them are about 2" now and amazing eaters. I see their legs out, or them half out every day after sundown.
Those sumatrans are comin along nicely as well, and tackling up to 3 pinheads at a time now:biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.