Hunters

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wich of your scorpions do actively hunt for prey?
My P. Leiosoma never hunts, its like the crickets just accidentally litterally walks into his claws. it would be nice to see him track down a prey for a change, but i quess this won't happen.

So what's the story with your tailed friends.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My vaejovis' are always out, they do sit around and wait but when they sense movement they start slowely making thier ways to the food until they grab it. My emps wait around mostly. Unless I havent fed them in like months, then ill acually see them walking around sticking thier claws in all sorts of places. My bicolors just love to wait for a cricket to come cricketing by. usually they dont go looking for food, but they do explore and walk around alot. So I dont count it as looking for food because they are already tanked up. :p Im deeply thinking of getting a P. Trans, are they active food stalkers??? {D

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah P. Trans with tityus are on my wishing list. i have heard that P. trans is an active hunter but am not sure.

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I feed my Emp on a regular weekly basis, when the crickets go in he'll stick his claws out of his hide and just wait for one to stumble upon him. If I skip a week, he goes out hunting as soon as he knows something's in there.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hadrurus arizonensis will hunt, albeit kinda slow when catching the crickets. After sun down, he/she would walk around the tank feeling around for vibrations, resting it's pincers on the sand and sometimes diggind it's pincers under sand trying to feel for prey. It would make it's way around the enclosure several times usually, or just walk around for a few hours. I started taking the large back legs of the adult crickets to make it easier for the H a to catch them, since without those legs they can't hop.

C vittatus I've seen both behaviors. When the lights go out for a few minutes, they start crawling all over the enclosure, feeling around walking all over the sticks and logs I have in the tank. They are pretty active, but sometimes just wait for a cricket to walk by. What killers though. They will kill large adult crickets when they are still young, no fear really, and they are strong, will carry the huge crickets up a stick or fake grass blade and feast on it up high.

JonDaAzn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you didn't feed scorpions as often (only once every 2-3 weeks) do you think one would be able to see them more often? would a decreased amount of feeding be detrimental to the scorp in any way?

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JonDaAzn said:
if you didn't feed scorpions as often (only once every 2-3 weeks) do you think one would be able to see them more often? would a decreased amount of feeding be detrimental to the scorp in any way?
yes u would most likely see them more often. dont expect their visibility to like double though.

2-3 weeks of no food is nothing. unless they're already starved.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P Trans IS an active hunter, in my experience.

When she figures out there are a few crickets roaming about.. she actively -runs- around the entire enclosure until she gets them all.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
JonDaAzn said:
if you didn't feed scorpions as often (only once every 2-3 weeks) do you think one would be able to see them more often?
Most definetly :)
I have noticed that when they get fattened up they will just sit under their hides and wait for something to come to them. Even the first A bicolor I got is now showing this tendancy.
I would say (this is just me guessing) that if a person would only fees a cricket every week to 10 days, they would be more active. Maybe even 1 every 2 weeks. That is hard for me to do since I like to watch and take pictures of stinging/feeding scorps. ;)

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
am feeding about 2 crickets a week so maybe i should cut down a little so he will apreciate the presence of a cricket more and hunt for it. the problem is when i buy crickets, i get around 20 of them in a little box, if i feed every week 1 cricket. it will take me 20 weeks to empty the box, in this way am having more trouble keeping the crickets alive instead of my scorpion. And i only have one scorpion.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
errit said:
am feeding about 2 crickets a week so maybe i should cut down a little so he will apreciate the presence of a cricket more and hunt for it. the problem is when i buy crickets, i get around 20 of them in a little box, if i feed every week 1 cricket. it will take me 20 weeks to empty the box, in this way am having more trouble keeping the crickets alive instead of my scorpion. And i only have one scorpion.
A solution to your problem. It only takes 5 seconds a day and I never lost a cricket since I started it. Everyday, cut a fresh slice of an apple or other fruit and give it to the crickets. But you have to do it everyday or the fruit will dry up and they wont eat it. You will see that all the crickets live.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
A solution to your problem. It only takes 5 seconds a day and I never lost a cricket since I started it. Everyday, cut a fresh slice of an apple or other fruit and give it to the crickets. But you have to do it everyday or the fruit will dry up and they wont eat it. You will see that all the crickets live.
Thank you my scorp friend :)
Where would i be without you :drool: not too mention my crickets.
am feeding my crix some kind of fish food. when i drop this in i put on a little water as well. I will try the fruit thing.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
errit said:
Thank you my scorp friend :)
Where would i be without you :drool: not too mention my crickets.
am feeding my crix some kind of fish food. when i drop this in i put on a little water as well. I will try the fruit thing.
LOL, ur welcome. Definatly try. Just a question, why do you feed crickets fish food? {D When I first started buying alot of crickets I thought all they ate was grass. {D I always wondered why my crickets died in like 2-3 days. Now I have crickets for weeks even more, as long as I give em a fresh slice of something everyday. They also love watermelon and cucumber but it rots quick and if not removed can cause em to die faster. :p

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had dozens of crickets live for a -weeks- on dry oatmeal.

And you don't have to replace it until all the cricks are gone :)

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
LOL, ur welcome. Definatly try. Just a question, why do you feed crickets fish food? {D When I first started buying alot of crickets I thought all they ate was grass. {D I always wondered why my crickets died in like 2-3 days. Now I have crickets for weeks even more, as long as I give em a fresh slice of something everyday. They also love watermelon and cucumber but it rots quick and if not removed can cause em to die faster. :p
Here in holland it is easy to obtain grass :rolleyes:
The fish food thing is a tip from someone i know who feeds his crickets with fish food. he says that it contains a lot of vitamins for the crix and is very easily digested. and i've seen them eating it fast.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
errit said:
Here in holland it is easy to obtain grass :rolleyes:
The fish food thing is a tip from someone i know who feeds his crickets with fish food. he says that it contains a lot of vitamins for the crix and is very easily digested. and i've seen them eating it fast.
Cool, I think im going to try that one. =)

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've solved my cricket raising problem by just visiting the pet store once a week. It's way cheap - 3 large crickets for a quarter. Plus then I get to check their stock weekly.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
Cool, I think im going to try that one. =)
It is the goldfish kind of fishfood. the food looks like little pieces of colored paper. i've been using it recently. before i did, my crix died fast. when you throw in the fishfood you should also make it a little wet (not too wet) because there is no moisture in the food itself i believe.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you forgot to mention the funky smell of fishfood, especially when wet, and in rooms with 80+ temps. Strange you had lots of deaths, give mine water and cricket food and maybe 1 or 2 will die at the most over week or so, but I don't breed them or keep more than a few dozen at once.

Just curious, anyone know why crickets stink so much? Is it just the feces?