Hunter became the prey!

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it's feeding time and I was checking on my runt jacksoni and this is what I found.

My 3I jacksoni dead and the small cric alive and well.

I kinds smashed the cric a bit to not kill it but make it suffer until it died twitching and stuff. Made me feel a little bit better.

R.I.P.
My little runt.

Off to the isopod tank with the both of you.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt the cricket killed it, was a runt for a reason. Unless it wasn't hardened up from it's previous molt still.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No it molted with the other 4, had eaten too. It was already hard.

What did the isopod do it?

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess that this lil guy just wasnt hard enough...they dun harden up together at the same time...u alwiz have some slowmos :D
And how big was the cricket ? i guess its a lil too big.

Advise -----> Use Blatta laterallis babies to feed ur newly molted scorps. They wont hurt ur scorp but its a 50/50 coz u still have those odd situations of tat happening. Mine even molted with its food...:D My only problem is getting the roaches to churn out the amount of babies to feed my current slings :? I think i'll need to add some blue pills into their drinkin water :D

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He's got roaches, just letting it get established before he feeds out of it.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, he was the runt of the brood. He molted last and I waited until I felt he was ready to eat which was 4 days after his molt. he molted the same day as the 4th one and it ate find. I start with 100 pinheads, then as the grow the I can choose the proper size for the scorpion.

As Xaranx said, I have a colony of 100 dubia mostly all adults and several gravid females that are about to pop anytime. I just can't use them right now other than to feed my T and flat rocks which is still iffy because no babies yet. The only problem is that dubia tend to burrow unless they are adults, at least from my personal experience.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this might sound stupid but is it at all possible that one of it's cage mates got to it?, i haven't seen any one say there wasn't a communal set up or not so I'm just wondering

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I have them all seperated. I just put 4 3i together for a communal experiment this one wasn't involed.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, he was the runt of the brood. He molted last and I waited until I felt he was ready to eat which was 4 days after his molt. he molted the same day as the 4th one and it ate find. I start with 100 pinheads, then as the grow the I can choose the proper size for the scorpion.

As Xaranx said, I have a colony of 100 dubia mostly all adults and several gravid females that are about to pop anytime. I just can't use them right now other than to feed my T and flat rocks which is still iffy because no babies yet. The only problem is that dubia tend to burrow unless they are adults, at least from my personal experience.
Try lateralis...they are the best to my oppinion tat is.
From ur photo of the jacksoni, i can see that its not properly hardened. 4 days is too soon. U should have left it for a week or so.;)
The older they get, the longer it takes for them to hardened.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Strange, the other 4 did fine after 4-5 days eating and eveything. I'll take more time since my 3 3i from another brood are going to molt into 4i in a few weeks

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's always a chance for thing not to go as planned...SNAFU ? :)
1 week is just a guideline

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is why I always tong feed or remove food that doesn't get eaten within 20 min (and have some kind of cricket food in the tank just in case I don't locate one that I put in there). When I was a kid I had a sick anole who lost both eyes to a cricket. Never again. Sorry for your loss.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, crazy both eyes!.

I just don't have time to keep track of who ate, who hasn't and to remove the crix right away. Usually they are gone after 24 hrs.

Thanks.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's one reason I don't use crickets. I've been using lateralis for the past couple of years and never had a fatality. Crickets can be brutal.
I've raised approx. 100 scorplings and lateralis are often in the scorpions enclosure when they molt and I've never had a problem.
IME when siblings cannabilize they usually eat all or at least most of the victim and will eat them head or tail first in a systematic fashion. Not eat a bit here and there like crickets do
Crickets can be devastating for lizard eggs also. Lateralis will leave lizard eggs alone but crickets will eat holes in them resulting in the death of future offspring.

Sorry about your loss.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, all my inverts love dubia, just feeding off of adult males waiting for the females to give birth very soon so i can start having nymphs of all sizes.

I don't know why but dubia burrow during the time when they are not adults.

So even if they do have 1/4" babies they are going to burrow which in my opinion makes them useless.

ScorpionViking

Arachnopeon
You fed your scorp fresh from a molt?

hmm....Read up some more before you do this again.

How could you let your Babycurus Jacksoni get owned like that?

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Fresh Molt" I don't leave food in for 6-12 days before a molt or 5-7 days after a molt. I felt it was time to feed him just one day earlier than usual considering how quick my jacksoni have been growing and eating.

What is there to read up on? Things happen, it was the runt. A healthy scorpion wouldn't have let itself get eaten in my opinion. He almost didn't make it once I received him. I was lucky he made it to 3I and I'm not upset.

Just when someone says you need to read up on things better, I've done my research just to let you know before I even considered scorpions and haven't stopped since.

So try thinking before you reply or maybe reading the thread....

End of discussion on this thread from me, the past is the past.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You fed your scorp fresh from a molt?

hmm....Read up some more before you do this again.

How could you let your Babycurus Jacksoni get owned like that?
It's all part of the hobby dude.
Firstly we all make mistakes, especially when we are starting out and trying to make sure our animals are well fed etc.
Something like this can easily happen and it not be the keepers fault.
When I was raising up my B. jacksoni they often ate overnight. Someone mentioned taking the food out after 20 minutes but often they don't attack the food until the lights have been out and they feel safe.
Often with fast growing species pre-molt is not really evident. Sometimes you think the scorpion is good for another meal and you wake up in the morning to find a molted scorpion with it's last nights dinner sitting next to it. Other-times even though you check the cage the feeder has managed to hide on you and you find it at a later date.

One thing I would recommend is making sure the crickets are well fed before being given to the scorpion. Having a small bit of apple or carrot for the cricket is also a good idea. When I was breeding geckos I always had cricket food in their cage so the crickets were less inclined to attack any eggs that were laid outside of the egg-box.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I totally agree with you.

However, he could have thought about how he was witting this before he hit submit. I was tired, and agitated so my response wasn't the best.

About premolt, I go by what I call "Ghosting" I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking where the old exo is starting to look transparent and very stretched. When I see that it is getting close to that or I can see it I make sure not to have any food in their containers. This usually happens 2-4 days before a molt from my jacksoni's exp.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you tried putting a bit of cricket food right in the tank? I do this with my two biggest H. spinifers because they won't tong feed. I put in maybe half a dozen crickets at a time but also add a slice or orange or a gel diet so that they are less inclined to chomp on my critters. Also feeding meat prior to putting them in the tank might be a good idea as they'd not be seeking protien as actively.