Humidity at Change of Seasons

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I regret not keeping a better watch on the humidity in my 3 bugs rooms. I noticed before I had a problem, but I think because the temperature dropped a few degrees, the humidity in my enclosures is HIGHER so less misting is needed. [This is because colder air doesn't require as much moisture to become saturated as warmer air.] I got a couple enclosures way too wet and spent the night rehousing with some drier substrate. Sometimes I just mix dry, shredded aspen in, but I needed to add new substrate anyway on these 3 enclosures.

I tend to easily fall into routines and forget to watch these little details. :banghead: Glad I'm not travelling this week.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Humidity decreases with cooler temperatures and the moisture condenses together more easily to produce small droplets. Moisture also evaporates slower and these two things may interfere with your hygrometer readings if there is any moisture gathering around it and reduces the need for add additional water to your substrate.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Less moisture is needed at colder temperatures (what you said) and so less moisture is taken from the substrate to humidify the enclosed air of the enclosure. So when I add the same amount of moisture through misting, if I don't take the temperature into account, my humidity will be lower. I'm not looking at hygrometer readings, but rather the amount of moisture in my substrate. I guess we are saying the same thing, just interpreting it differently.