Huge Dragonfly

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
I found a huge dragonfly in front of my house. It was on the ground and looked like it couldn't fly. I searched the web and it turned out to be a Swamp Darner. I have it in a tank now and tried to feed it a cricket. Any advice on how to care for it?

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it was on the ground ,it will not last long. It either got wacked by a car, pesticide, or end of life-span. They mostly eat other dragonflies and flying bugs. Darners are awesome high fliers, also they have quite a pinch if you pick them up wrong.

I used to work in a aviation hanger and they would fly in and get stuck in spider webs on the ceiling. I would get a forklift and get them unstuck. Sometimes it would take awhile as to not rip their wings off and I would keep looking out for boss man so I would not get fired.

crpy

Last edited:

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
interesting. i wouldnt say it was hit by a car cuz there was no physical damage and it was far from the road. so one of the other two probably. thanks for helpin me out.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your welcome:)

I fixed the typo, lol, so I would not get fired.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
they are usually sedentary early in the morning before the big sunny warm up. I would put it on a bush that get early morning sun and it will most likely fly away to eat

spideyboy

Arachnopeon
i found it on a sunny afternoon so im not so sure it can just warm up and fly away. i noticed it would curl it's body as if it was trying to eat its own tail. basically freaking out. so i would say either pesticide or old age. it's still in the same condition.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
apparently people call them "mosquito hawks" as most dragonflys do feed solely on flying insects...and alot at that. In all honesty tho I can't see a dragonfly doing well in captivity to to lack of flying/hunting space and they're dietary needs. Theyre seasonal in alot of places aswell and as such have a short lifespan. Usually nymph for a year or two and then spring/summer of mating depending on species.