How to tempt a burrowing sling to feed?

NorthEdge

Arachnopeon
Hi, I got a B. albopilosum sling at the Massachusetts Reptile Expo yesterday for $5. It's about a 1/2" but seems very shy. Anytime I touch it's vial it tucks itself into the deepest part of it's burrow and tickling the entrance of it's burrow doesn't seem to create any response. How do I go about feeding a sling like this?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
leave the prey in their and it will get it on its own or pre-kill it and place it at the entrance and it will grab it when it comes above.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
what feeder do you use? I feed my T's dubia( though I'm going to change to reds) and with a sling that small you can just crush the head of the roach and leave it there. If you are feeding with crickets just drop it in. If you're asking how you can feed the sling while also drawing it out in the open then use feeding tongs and hold one of the feeder legs by the burrow to try and tempt it out, might not work though.

-JohnD.

NorthEdge

Arachnopeon
Ts will accept dead food? I was under the impression they would only accept live food.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Yes, they scavenge dead food. In fact with slings less than .5" I feed dead prey items so without the risk of injury until they are big enough to tackle baby roaches, though that's just me.

-JohnD.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I've witnessed my tiny slings eating cut up pieces of superworms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I feed 7 half inch albos with one red racer

Cut it up like a chicken and each gets a nice meaty drum stick or a head

Place it at the top of the burrow and remove if it is still there the next day

Mine get fed twice a week

NorthEdge

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice, though it appears it may not have been necessary. The sling was in premolt, which is probably why it was so shy.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
I happen to have two shy feeders. I have an L. parahybana that will not accept any live food what so ever. When I see it at the entrance of the burrow, I will drop in a pre killed cricket and he will come pick it up when I'm gone. Then I have an H. maculata sling that doesnt like being watched, lol. So I will drop in an appropriate sized cricket at night and it will be gone in the morning. Its fun to watch them feed but sometimes you need to just feed them and let them be. As yours gets older it will be less shy.

Thanks for the advice, though it appears it may not have been necessary. The sling was in premolt, which is probably why it was so shy.
That could be the reason also.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
personally my albo is a display at 1.5" even at .5 he was... however my boehmei is a burrower [mostly predug against the side so i can see in]... to go about feeding him i "prekill" a dubia by crushing its head when he wants nothing to do with me.. also i from time to time when i know hes hungry [my feeding schedual can very from 3 days to 7 days] and ill give him/her a live b.lat and drop it right down the hole. he usually hits right away. and if he dont at least it doesnt burrow and i can grab it later :p