How to start with Pokies?

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i was wondering are OBT's a Good bridge to poec's?
This is just my personal experience, but almost every OBT I've had has been more aggressive than nearly all of the Pokies I've owned. My OBTs are much more likely to run out of their tube webs and throw a threat-pose if you disturb the enclosure, whilst my Pokies will invariably stay put or bolt into their logs.

Good luck.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This is just my personal experience, but almost every OBT I've had has been more aggressive than nearly all of the Pokies I've owned. My OBTs are much more likely to run out of their tube webs and throw a threat-pose if you disturb the enclosure, whilst my Pokies will invariably stay put or bolt into their logs.
Yes, at about 2" OBT's become a handful, speed and temperament-wise. While Poecs are just as fast (or faster), they're not as prone to going on the offensive. They'll often rely on their cryptic markings and stay motionless and hope you don't see them; but then they can panic and anything can happen. When you open a Poec cage, it can be a calm affair if you do your part and keep disruptions to a minimum. With OBT's, they're more likely to immediately 'greet' you and let you know just how pleased they are to see an unwelcome intruder.

So basically, no, OBT's aren't really a bridge to Poecs. They have plenty of challenges of their own.

3skulls

Arachnobaron
A better bridge extended bridge would be Avic to Psalm to Poeci.

But I do love my OBTs :)

Stirmi

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys I was going to buy a subfusca for my birthday on Sunday and I was wondering since I have obts and Avics so thanks for answering my question

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For a long time, I wanted "angry eyebrows" miranda. Then I saw Advan's subfusca.

Must.
Have.

My girlfriend said it's the coolest spider she's ever seen.
But well, has to wait, P.irminia, or "Deadpool spider" as she gods know why dubbed it, definitely comes first.

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
What kind of crazy talk is that???
Lol I am too much of a scaredy cat to get anything old world. Let alone a pokie.
The closest I will come to a Regalis is a jumping spider. Same color and teleports like a magician.:wink:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Lol I am too much of a scaredy cat to get anything old world. Let alone a pokie.
The closest I will come to a Regalis is a jumping spider. Same color and teleports like a magician.:wink:
There are old world's that don't run like lunatics and aren't all that fiesty, like Ceratogyrus and Augacephalus. Undemanding, hardy spiders, very easy to work with. Open the lid, they're usually right outside their burrow and stay in place; I've had many and never had one try to run out of the cage. Drop in crickets and they eagerly scoop them up and start spinning. They usually have one corner designated for cricket bolus' so cage maintenance is a breeze. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Yes, with Poecs you have the element of spontaneous high speed dashes, but that's not representative of all old worlds (just most).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interested in P. rufilata or P. regalis. I've cared for about 5 tarantulas over some time and would like to try a small one out. Definitely will not be handling it. I noticed tht ken the bug guy has quite a few for a price within my budget. how do you all keep your pokie slings, and any essential information would be helpful, thanks!
I avoided Poecis for a number of years mostly because the frequently depicted "stick posture" made my skin crawl. I took the leap last year and got a P. rufilata sling to try to get over my little quirk. I've found that the stick posturing is more of a stress thing. If my Poecis are happy, the only time they do the stick thingy is post molt. And I can live with that. :) I currently keep a half dozen various species of Poecis ranging from 2 - 6 inches. It's been my experience that (like all of my "defensive" spiders with medically significant venom) they are more inclined to bolt for their lairs than leap for my face. That's not to say that individuals won't behave differently. (Unlike my 'docile' Poecis, the most fearsome spider in my collection is an L. Parahybana from Hades who continues to occasionally try to attack me through the glass of her well secured tank.)

I would definitely recommend starting with a sling so you can 'grow' with it.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I avoided Poecis for a number of years mostly because the frequently depicted "stick posture" made my skin crawl. I took the leap last year and got a P. rufilata sling to try to get over my little quirk. I've found that the stick posturing is more of a stress thing. If my Poecis are happy, the only time they do the stick thingy is post molt. And I can live with that. :) I currently keep a half dozen various species of Poecis ranging from 2 - 6 inches. It's been my experience that (like all of my "defensive" spiders with medically significant venom) they are more inclined to bolt for their lairs than leap for my face. That's not to say that individuals won't behave differently. (Unlike my 'docile' Poecis, the most fearsome spider in my collection is an L. Parahybana from Hades who continues to occasionally try to attack me through the glass of her well secured tank.)

I would definitely recommend starting with a sling so you can 'grow' with it.
Thats interesting, what is it about the stick posture that makes your skin crawl? Lol I was looking forward to the stick posture when i first got my regalis, but i get more of that posture from my roseas!

I agree with getting a sling too, but i think your also fine with getting an adult too, just respect it and you’ll be fine =) I was worried when i first got one, but it ended up being pretty easy, i get more trouble from my 2.5” versi lol

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
There are old world's that don't run like lunatics and aren't all that fiesty, like Ceratogyrus and Augacephalus. Undemanding, hardy spiders, very easy to work with. Open the lid, they're usually right outside their burrow and stay in place; I've had many and never had one try to run out of the cage. Drop in crickets and they eagerly scoop them up and start spinning. They usually have one corner designated for cricket bolus' so cage maintenance is a breeze. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Yes, with Poecs you have the element of spontaneous high speed dashes, but that's not representative of all old worlds (just most).
I may look into those. Right now I am debating getting a Psalmopoeus species.

lancej

Arachnolord
I may look into those. Right now I am debating getting a Psalmopoeus species.
Psalmopoeus species are a great choice for bridging to OW. They are fast, defensive, yet not as potent venom wise. There are some very beautiful species, also (P. irminia is one of the most beautiful tarantulas in my opinion).

Hersh77tess

Arachnosquire
Psalmopoeus species are a great choice for bridging to OW. They are fast, defensive, yet not as potent venom wise. There are some very beautiful species, also (P. irminia is one of the most beautiful tarantulas in my opinion).
I agree. Really craving a P. Irminia. What about P. Cambridgei? Heard they are sorta kinda almost calmer.

lancej

Arachnolord
I agree. Really craving a P. Irminia. What about P. Cambridgei? Heard they are sorta kinda almost calmer.
Maybe a little calmer, in that I have seen some that were kind of calm. Very cool, almost under rated species. As babies/slings, they are both pretty skittish, yet always hungry.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
I have to agree with the other posts about getting a psalmo if you feel you're not quite ready for a pokie yet. My AF P cambridgei def was a good stepping stone towards getting used to the speed, care, etc. of a pokie (actually my P regalis is WAY more laid back). Couldn't recommend them enough to get you prepared for your first poec

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Regarding this, I think I experienced it the other way around - my couple irmi ladies are easier to work with than the huge P. cam girl (6.5"+) - although it will depend for a good part on the enclosure, too. Psalmopoeus are very secretive tarantulas that hide most of their time and are only out during night when the lights are out exploring and hunting. Hence maintenance can be done easily during daytime usually. Treat them with the respect they demand and you won't have any problems.

P. irminia for the win!