How to Ship Roaches?

inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have searched Arachnoboards and a few other places, but I really have not been able to come up with much information on how to package and ship roaches. I have shipped inverts before, which I packed in individual deli containers, but obviously this is not a practical method for shipping 100+ roaches. So from what I have gathered, you put them in tall deli containers with a few pieces of egg cartons inside. I also read that they need moisture, which should be provided by vegetables, but another resource suggested using moist paper towels.

So basically, I just want to know what is the best way to package the roaches (specifically B. dubia's) and any hints or suggestions would be helpful.

Here is a thread I have already read on AB:
Shipping Roaches

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Your deli container and egg carton sounds pretty standard. You can mist the side of the container prior to shipping or put in a bit of moist paper towel. Two to three days in a shipping container presents no danger to roaches. It's getting warm in many parts of the country so be sure to check the local temperatures at the destination and encourage the recipients to be expecting it.

Place the egg cartons in such a way that they are wedged in the container (so that they won't move around, even if the carrier drops the package).

Healthy roaches ship great. The slight trauma of shipping will sometimes kill an already unhealthy bug.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most important thing is to provide them stuff to hold onto so they don't get too banged up. Moisture and food can be provided but I don't think the latter is essential though it might help if the roaches are known to cannibalize or if the package is delayed.

I reccomend using air holes if you are shipping lots of roaches, otherwise you can suffocate them. They don't need much 02 but they do add up fast!

inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have any advice or tips?

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just pack them like sardines! and you will be fine. Some paper towels too.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont send more than 100 dubias in one package, the heat they make from the friction when they crawl arround in the package, will be to mutch for them to handle, they will overheat at start to die.
Regards Mikael