How to Rehouse Tarantulas

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
This is how I rehouse my tarantulas. I have tried explaining this to people on here before and I figured I will post pictures to better explain!

I use a gallon baggie to move my spiders from one enclosure to the next. I either put the container in the bag, or put the bag over the top of the container and rubber band it shut while I coax the spider out of its home into the bag.

I usually poke a little hole in the bag and use a wire, tweezers, or a straw to push the spider into the bag. Once the spider is in the bag I trap it in a corner of the baggie while I remove the container from the bag.

Once the container is out of the bag I close it up and put the corner with the tarantula into its new container, snip the corner off so the spider can crawl out into its new home, and put the lid over the baggie. Then slowly pull the baggie out making the T crawl out of the bag. Be careful not to pinch the spiders legs while you pull the bag out!

That's it! This is the most convenient way for me to rehouse my tarantulas.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Nice. Bag method is great for nervous beginners or nasty species.

I just find it much quicker to rehoused with a catch cup. I do basically the same thing as Tom Moran. With the 32 oz deli with the holes in it. Works amazingly.

H maculata?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

I just find it much quicker to rehoused with a catch cup. I do basically the same thing as Tom Moran. With the 32 oz deli with the holes in it. Works amazingly.
Same, except I use different sized catch cups depending on the size of the tarantula.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Same, except I use different sized catch cups depending on the size of the tarantula.
Yeah, Tom's method only works for Larger spiders unless you have different cups with different size holes. I usually skip the holes.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah, Tom's method only works for Larger spiders unless you have different cups with different size holes. I usually skip the holes.
I'm unfamiliar with his method, I was just saying I get them in a catch cup to transfer. Does he use the paintbrush through a hole in the cup to guide them back out of it? I did that once for a 4" P. pulcher but it didn't work very well. She didn't care that I was poking her she had no intentions of going into her new home.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Interesting method, would work great with small flighty arboreals. I don't know if it would be as effective on larger adults though.

They would likely be very reluctant to enter and the process could trigger defensive behavior. Large adults can definitely bite through that plastic.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight

H maculata?
S. calc.
This method is best for me opposed to a catch cup because I currently have no secure room to rehouse and my carpets are treated with pesticides for a flea problem. If they were to escape during rehousing and touch the carpet they could die. This makes me more comfortable for their own safety. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
S. calc.
This method is best for me opposed to a catch cup because I currently have no secure room to rehouse and my carpets are treated with pesticides for a flea problem. If they were to escape during rehousing and touch the carpet they could die. This makes me more comfortable for their own safety. :)
Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm unfamiliar with his method, I was just saying I get them in a catch cup to transfer. Does he use the paintbrush through a hole in the cup to guide them back out of it? I did that once for a 4" P. pulcher but it didn't work very well. She didn't care that I was poking her she had no intentions of going into her new home.
He has a 32 oz deli with medium size holes poked in it, at the bottom and lower side especially. Once the spiders in the cup he can just prod it through the holes in the cup rather than the front.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
He has a 32 oz deli with medium size holes poked in it, at the bottom and lower side especially. Once the spiders in the cup he can just prod it through the holes in the cup rather than the front.
Gotcha, that's similar to what I did but I had the hole in the bottom of the cup, inverted it over the mouth of the new enclosure, and stuck a paint brush through there.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

H maculata?
Yup same here catch with holes and a straw for prodding..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Large adults can definitely bite through that plastic.
Yup once drove home ten miles with a MM P.vitatta in a shopping bag... I felt super sketchy to say the least..

I don't think I would want to use bags for rehousing lol..

That one time was enough :doctor:...

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bag method works just fine on adults, if they're striking at anything it's the stick not the bag, and the bag gives enough to not get holes. I did it this way with a 7" Singapore blue except I cut the bottom out of the bag and taped it to the new cage beforehand. The mean ol lady tried to climb my stick and get at me through the 1/2" access hole. I was glad I took precautions.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yup once drove home ten miles with a MM P.vitatta in a shopping bag... I felt super sketchy to say the least..

I don't think I would want to use bags for rehousing lol..

That one time was enough :doctor:...
You should have asked for paper, not plastic.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is how I rehouse my tarantulas. I have tried explaining this to people on here before and I figured I will post pictures to better explain!

I use a gallon baggie to move my spiders from one enclosure to the next. I either put the container in the bag, or put the bag over the top of the container and rubber band it shut while I coax the spider out of its home into the bag.

I usually poke a little hole in the bag and use a wire, tweezers, or a straw to push the spider into the bag. Once the spider is in the bag I trap it in a corner of the baggie while I remove the container from the bag.

Once the container is out of the bag I close it up and put the corner with the tarantula into its new container, snip the corner off so the spider can crawl out into its new home, and put the lid over the baggie. Then slowly pull the baggie out making the T crawl out of the bag. Be careful not to pinch the spiders legs while you pull the bag out!

That's it! This is the most convenient way for me to rehouse my tarantulas.

Nice way to transfer. It's great because at no time is the T out of confinement. Which works well for you because you don't have a good spot to transfer them where they can't run somewhere they don't belong. Even with the catch cup, which is what I use, there is a time that the T has an opening they can make a break from. I've had several turn the lip of the cup and try to make their way back up the outside. You don't have that worry with that happening with your method. I doubt a T will be trying to chew out of the bag (which a gallon freezer bag is pretty thick) because it's more likely trying to hide or avoid the big thing messing with it. It takes time for something to chew out unless the bag is extra flimsy. Nice idea, thanks for sharing. :)

That's why you should always bring your own container when going to a meet up. I got one once in a open top box with a shopping bag pulled over it and rubber banded down. I put the whole thing on my tall cooler and took the guy home. People will give you Ts in the oddest ways. :D