How to pre kill roaches?

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know this seems like a silly question, but really, these guys are resilient as hell.

Story is I've got a Klugi with some broken fangs. She tries to grab the roaches, but she lets go since her fangs don't pierce the roach.

So how do I pre kill? Severing the head still leaves it kicking for days.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know this seems like a silly question, but really, these guys are resilient as hell.

Story is I've got a Klugi with some broken fangs. She tries to grab the roaches, but she lets go since her fangs don't pierce the roach.

So how do I pre kill? Severing the head still leaves it kicking for days.
Also means it stays alive and wont mold or develop fungus, until it dies three-four days later. Also, the constant movement attracts the T. This is my preferred method.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
+1 to crickets Fran.... not QUITE as healthy, yet way less hassle... the crickets body is WAY softer than a roaches and if ya need to maim or prekill its alot easier too. crush its head and its kickin for a minute or two to attract the spider then it fades out...

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cut all the legs off so they don't kick? ? lol

but crickets would be better, as fran said.

Unless when you freeze roaches they turn to mush when they unthaw ? Like a cucumber? (never froze roaches so i cant say... lol)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
both crickets and roaches freeze and defrost just fine.

I dunk my frozens into a small bowl of hot water to defrost them. Only issue with them is that they do go funny faster i.e. the bolus gets mouldy/weird quicker than a live prey item. (this is purely observational and i can't really explain why - my suspicion is that freezing it destroys the natural bacterial population on the bug that would otherwise resist being colonised by new bacteria in the enclosure)

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I froze a roach, and she ate it. I'm a happy camper. Now to feed her enough to make her moult.

loudan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cut all the legs off so they don't kick? ? lol

but crickets would be better, as fran said.

Unless when you freeze roaches they turn to mush when they unthaw ? Like a cucumber? (never froze roaches so i cant say... lol)
i used to do that, i HATE chasing em around the cage!;P