How to pick new additions to the collection FOR DUMMIES

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I’ve seen a few people ask for advice on what to add to their collections, so here's mine! What are some must-haves you think I should get? I’m starting a new job soon and want to celebrate the fact by adding 2-3 spiders to the squad.

For what it’s worth, here’s my current collection:

0.1.0 Aphonopelma seemanni
1.1.0 Brachypelma hamorii
0.1.0 Brachypelma boehmei
1.1.0 Brachypelma albopilosum
1.0.0 Brachypelma vagans
0.1.0 Brachypelma sabulosum
0.1.0 Nhandu chromatus
0.1.0 Davus pentaloris
0.0.1 Caribena versicolor
0.0.1 Avicularia metallica
0.0.1 Psalmopoeus irminia
0.0.1 Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma
0.0.2 Pterinopelma sazimai
0.1.0 Ceratogyrus darlingi
0.0.5 Monocentropus balfouri
0.1.0 Poecilotheria regalis
0.0.2 Poecilotheria subfusca sp. lowland

I’m interested in pretty much everything except the Asian pet holes.

I love baboon species, really miss my OBT (I had a male, gave him away for breeding when he matured). I also think I might want to add another Pamphobeteus. Or a Phormictopus sp. maybe? On the other hand, I’d love another arboreal... I don’t know. Can’t decide. HELP!

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
You need more Poecilotheria!

I agree that you should get an OBT, and if you get a few tarantulas from the same place you could probably find one that will give you an OBT as a freebie tbh I see them as freebies all the time.

Hmm... besides the Poecilotheria and an OBT... I suggest:
Nhandu tripepii
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
*edit to add: Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
H gigas

And since you said maybe an arboreal, I say go for a Tapinauchenius! I'm loving mine, they are crazy little things and just a total blast. High strung and gorgeous.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
If you like baboons I'd definitely recommend A. ezendami, my first OW species and baboon that I've really enjoyed keeping. Also would recommend P. auratus, T. stirmi, P. metallica, P. ornata, C. cyaneopubescens, N. incei, P. machalla, A. geniculata, & G. pulchripes.

T Lurksalot

Arachnopeon
I love baboon species, really miss my OBT (I had a male, gave him away for breeding when he matured).
There’s part of your answer at least, every baboon lover should have an obt. I’ve been eyeing a female typical color form over at Jamie’s Tarantulas, you can grab her and spare me the temptation lol^^

Last edited:

Minty

@londontarantulas
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

You won't regret getting one. I'm also a big fan of my Pterinochilus chordatus.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A. geniculata
G. iheringi
B. emilia
P. pulcher
P. ecclesiasticus
T. sp. "Panama"
D. diamantinensis
N. incei
L. nigerrimum
O. aureotibialis

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
There’s a reptile expo in my area next month with some T vendors. I’m looking at their current stock, looking at prices on new world slings, and I’m basing what I’d like off of what this forum says the care is and how attractive they are as adults. I’d ideally like to get two each of three species to slowly grow my collection. Am I doing it right?

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
If you like baboons I'd definitely recommend A. ezendami, my first OW species and baboon that I've really enjoyed keeping. Also would recommend P. auratus, T. stirmi, P. metallica, P. ornata, C. cyaneopubescens, N. incei, P. machalla, A. geniculata, & G. pulchripes.
I know this post is a week old, but thanks for thebsughestion! Want my first OW to be a baboon so I will definitely get this, thank you!

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
N. tripepii
P. auratus
G. iherengi
A. geniculata
H. chilensis
B. emilia
G. pulchripes
L. klugi or difficilis
P. cambridgei

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How can you not have even one Grammostola?
iheringi
morgan-001.jpg
actaeon
salem-001.jpg
pulchripes
DSC03249-2.jpg
pulchra
DSC06251-2.jpg
sp. Formosa
DSC01437-2.jpg
grossa
DSC02865-2.jpg
sp. Concepcion
DSC00240-2.jpg
rosea DSC05238-2.jpg
porteri
DSC02051-2.jpg

Last edited:

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I have a simple philosophy- "I see the spider. I realize I want the spider. I end up on the car ride home with the spider on my lap"
In all seriousness I would suggest maybe Monocentropus balfouri, and try a communal enclosure. Hardy, beautiful, and low risk of cannibalism.

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I know it's been a while since I initially posted this - but I'm seriously so happy about all your replies, these suggestions are awesome. Keep them coming! Doesn't really make the decision easier, though.
@VanessaS yeah you're right, i should really get a Grammostola... I just gave away my MM G. pulchripes for breeding
Unfortunately the ones I'm really interested in are G. pulchra and G. actaeon, and they're barely available where I live.

I think I've narrowed it down to:
B. emilia
P. auratus
H. pulchripes
A. ezendami
E. olivacea
... also probably an A. genic because I've been in the hobby for years and I've never had one, it's getting ridiculous.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
E. murinus and C. lividus are a couple of my personal favorites. I know you had said you aren’t really interested in any of the fossorial species, but these two are hobby classics (IMO), and no collection is complete without them! Granted, if you keep them correctly you may rarely see them, but for those moments you do catch them out and about, it makes it so worthwhile! Anyone that keeps fossorial species would agree! Here’s some pics :)
upload_2019-9-9_11-13-52.jpeg

upload_2019-9-9_11-13-18.jpeg

upload_2019-9-9_11-13-34.jpeg