How to judge maturity?

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How can you tell when a female is mature? It is so obvious with males! I have a B. smithi female and I have only had her for about 2 months, she has not molted for me, and I am wondering if you go by size or what? Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Jennifer

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm Guessing, and it's just my opinion. That if a female is at the top of the growth chart for a mature female of that given genus/species then it's Probably mature.

I read someplace, and I Honestly Do Not Know if it's True. That the "lips" of her furrow will be more pronounced and firmer to the touch them an immature specimen. That of course would require Touching it to find out I suppose..

I haven’t tried this method myself. More so going by size. If a species supposedly gets 5 inches then I would have to say at 5 inches it would be about mature.

I know this isn’t any dang help…. lol…..

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy

I read someplace, and I Honestly Do Not Know if it's True. That the "lips" of her furrow will be more pronounced and firmer to the touch them an immature specimen. That of course would require Touching it to find out I suppose..

You're right, Nixy. Schlerotization (hardening) of the epigastric furrow is about the only way to ascertain the maturity of a female T through visual and tactile means. The opening will appear more prominent in mature females, the "lips" may appear shinier, and sometimes the opening itself gapes a bit, which may be felt by running a finger over it. Fortunately, B. smithi are fairly amenable to this exercise. I'd use caution in trying it with most African and Asian species!

To date, the only other (but fairly certain means) of ascertaining maturity that I know of is to introduce a male of the appropriate species to the female and observe her reaction.

Joy

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, here's a question for you guys, if a female, obviously of mature size, hasn't reached that "Ultimate" molt, will she still accept a male for breeding even if she isn't capable of producing an eggsac?