How to heat one T...

J_D_D

Arachnopeon
:confused:

...for when temps are way below 60. I have searched all over this site, and have learned a lot but I'm having an issue with this topic. I have found a lot of information on heating multiple Ts but not much on the best way to heat one. I will be getting my first tarantula in a month or so hopefully and I know he/she will be fine thoughout the summer but I'm worried about once winter hits. It can get very cold here. So if anybody has any input please give it. Many options is ideal but one good one will suffice.

info that may help you help me -- I will be getting a sling and the enclosure will most likely be plastic

Thanks in advance.

J_D_D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I never heated my t's for the first year or two.. Normal housing temps seemed to suffice, though my room was a converted garage, so in winter it got pretty chilly at times.. They grew slowly, but never hurt 'em.

If you really plan on keeping them where they are constantly kept in substandard temps, a heating pad strapped to the side of the cage has worked for some.

-Sean

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I heat my room with an electric heater. It is a circle one with a fan. Heats the room up fast. It's great for the Ts (especialy me!) It was a little pricey I think. But not too bad. Works great though! Its a Vornado (there is many types of them)

jcrow209

Arachnopeon
Use a space heater with themostat to maintain room tempature in a small room.But never put it close to T. You could also try a warm air humidifier fairly close.Whatever you do, monitor your temp/humidity regularly.I use a cabinet with fans and humidifer, but it depends on the genus and the age of the T's your keeping.Here's my setup. inside cabinet.jpg

outside cabinet.jpg

J_D_D

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for the fast replies. The main issue I am having is that I need something what will work for just one T, that isn't in a cabinet or small room or anything like that. And I don't think I want to heat a whole room. I just need something simple and small as a just in case kinda thing. The simpler and smaller the better...I think :wall:

hopefully I'm making sense -- I'm kinda lost in this subject

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The easiest way of heating a single spider is with a heat mat.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as mentioned above, a heating pad on one side of the enclosure (making sure there is enough of a temp gradient) is your best bet, but they are not recommended for plastic enclosures (only glass). how large is the T you're getting? if it's an adult, maybe one of these options (aside from the lamps; i wouldn't use those) could work: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heating.php

a small heating rock might work to increase the ambient temp in your enclosure, and could be used in your plastic container as long as it's resting on the substrate and not the plastic.

J_D_D

Arachnopeon
My first T will be a sling (1/2"-1 1/2").
So should I just put a small heat pad on a side and have a thermostat set up so it only goes on when the temp drops too much? And does this mean I should go w/ something other than plastic(I was going to use a small kk once he/she got big enough)? If so, what should I use? and once again thanks for any help given.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm... well when i did a quick search for the kind i've used in my glass containers (ZooMed Reptitherm; http://www.petco.com/product/6353/Zoo-Med-Repti-Therm-UTH-Under-Tank-Heaters.aspx) it apparently states that the mini can be used for up to 5-gallon plastic or glass containers (unless that's a typo; scroll down under 'description' tab), so i guess you'd be ok using this on a kk (it might melt a tupperware or something similar).
i just remembered reading that you could only use them on glass at some point, but i really think you'd be fine if it was only on for short periods of time (and not covering the entire length of the enclosure, so that some areas remain cooler).

as for when it's in a smaller enclosure than a kk, you could set the heater on a plate or pyrex dish, etc. and the enclosure next to it. i wouldn't set it directly on top of the heater.

hope this helps!

Last edited:

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
During winter I use a heat lamp with a 40-60 watt red bulb. I also use a rheostat, though the current Fluker's ceramic heat lamps come with one already. I've found this to be a pretty effective way to heat just a hand-full of T's.

jcrow209

Arachnopeon
A heat mat is dangerous for all T's, in my opinion.But its like $20 for a space heater.Throw it in a cleaned out closet or a big box.I found that cabinet at the dump.I know its just for 1 sling, but you still need to keep it alive,and heat mats/rocks kill just google it.But if your anything like the rest of us, 1 just won't do,lol.I'm at 10 and counting.So might as well prepare a suitable location while you still have time.Just my 2 cents.Best of luck to you and your T.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A heat mat is dangerous for all T's, in my opinion.But its like $20 for a space heater.Throw it in a cleaned out closet or a big box.I found that cabinet at the dump.I know its just for 1 sling, but you still need to keep it alive,and heat mats/rocks kill just google it.But if your anything like the rest of us, 1 just won't do,lol.I'm at 10 and counting.So might as well prepare a suitable location while you still have time.Just my 2 cents.Best of luck to you and your T.
How is a heat mat dangerous for all Ts?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it isnt, but the truth of the matter is even if you use a heat mat on the back or side of the enclosure it wont do much heating of anything really. i tried this with a 10 gallon for a snake that had Respiratory infection(higher temps help them recover) and the matt didnt even heat the tank 3 degs..

IMHO, if you are wanting to keep your Ts warm, then use a space heater, in a closet or something.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you can take the cold, so can your T's. I don't heat any T's enclosure. Ambient temps good enough for me is all they need. Never lost a T to cold ever.

However, my temps never go below 50.

PIG-

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a heating pad on one side of the enclosure (making sure there is enough of a temp gradient) is your best bet, but they are not recommended for plastic enclosures (only glass)
If your heat mat is getting hot enough to cause a problem with a plastic tank, your spider will have been toast long ago.....

Heat mats melting tupperware!?! What sort of heat mat can do that, Tupperware has excellent resistance to heat, over 100 degrees (210 Farenheit) it's used to microwave things in!

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The radiant heat that comes off a heatmat heats items within the tank, which can create nice warm spots for your Ts to bask on when it gets cold.

Here in the UK it gets VERY cold in the winter, and so i have heatmats for all my Ts for those months, and they definitely make a difference

The key to not putting your Ts at risk is a little bit of common sense when choosing a heatmat
- Choose the right wattage heatmat to achieve the temps you're after as heatmats come in a huge variety of wattages and sizes
- Don't try and maintain a rediculous temp either, remember that if you're needing a heatmat, it's primarily for stopping temps drop below a minimum temp, not bumping up your rooms temp if it's over 60F already
- Place it correctly and as people have mentioned already, side is best, and if you're worried it's too hot, give your T a wide enough enclosure that it can move away from the heat

Observationally, all my Ts have no prob regulating themselves this way, during the night all my Ts stick to the side where the heatmat is and during the day they all move away and go about their business

One of my T shelves can be see in THIS THREAD if you'd like further reading and comments from other people

hermzxd45

Arachnopeon
What i do is get a 5 gallon tank or 10 get a heatmat and just put your T in there...and when he or she is larger they can use it...

ravenruby

Arachnopeon
I live in an old house in MA, so the temperatures drop to the low 40's (yikes) inside the house at night....I've used the mini Zoo Med intended for 5 gal KK's with success. My T usually snuggles against the wall where the pad is located. They will grow a little more slowly, and may refuse food for a few weeks, but they will be just fine!

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One thing to consider is 1 T doesn't normally stay one T in this hobby while a heat mat is ok for heating one enclosure there 20 bucks each. Now if you decide to get another T down the road thats another 20 bucks. I've gone the heat mat road and I'm not a fan of them. I currently use heat rope for my non -light heating on most of my animals you can get 12 foot of it for like 15 bucks. With one T your not even gonna get close to using 12 foot but you also have the ability to expand. I would recommend getting a rehostat or thermostat for it though as it can get hot. Before you decide on heating source I'd strongly consider how likely you are to expand your collection.

J_D_D

Arachnopeon
It will probably be quite a while until I get a second one(couple years most likely). Although my girlfriend(we live together) is starting to get used to the fact of me getting one(kinda getting excited actually), she doesn't want multiple. That's for now anyways...{D