How to get a burrowing T out of its enclosure?

dojang

Arachnopeon
Hey all,
I have a few burrowers that are getting a bit too big for their enclosures and I want to move them to bigger enclosures.

What is the best way to get the burrower out of its jar if it is a bit reclusive and doesn't come out too often so that I would be able to get it?

Do you recommend removing some of the substrate from the jar, or is there some better way, such as gently flushing the T out with some water?

Thanks a million!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I don't think that flooding will do it. You also risk the T drowning after a while, because maybe they don't react as you'd like to and stay down. I would normally think that they'd be smart enough to get out of the burrow if it has been flooded for too long but you never know.

You could obvioulsy try fishing it out with a string but I am doubtful at any quick success.

The best would be I guess to either disturb the T enough for her to rush out, which can be quite risky, or by carefully digging away at the substrate so that eventually the tunnels collapse outwards. Another way would be by digging away from the tunnel, enlarging it ang going deeper as you go. You could always close off the entrance with a spoon so that the T doesn't rush out. Then maybe when you can get at it you could either try to capture it with a halved bottle or carefully prod it to where you want it to go.

There must certainly be other ways too.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a long wire from a coat hanger and just kinda tap gently the dirt right outside the burrow. My T will come out and attack it and then I can cup it.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well ... when I was a Kid (+-7 years) and I used to live in a small town here in Brazil, me and my friends liked a lot to hunt borrowing Ts in the wild and we always used a string and a chewwing gum to fish them! The Ts grap the gum really hard.

another way is to make some vibration on the entrance of his burrow and than when he comes out to check out, you press the substate above the tunels and make them crash, so the T has no place to go!

I always make my terr for burrowings in "2 floors" I put something like 4" os substrate than pieces os bark, than substrate again (2"), so when I have to remove it I take a spoon and gently take a bit of the 1st layer of substrate untill I find the barks, I take one piece of bark for time untill find the T that usually make the tunnels right under the barks, she actually uses the barks as a "ceiling" ;)

Last edited:

Prewt

Arachnopeon
from BRAZIL said:
I always make my terr for burrowings in "2 floors" I put something like 4" os substrate than pieces os bark, than substrate again (2"), so when I have to remove it I take a spoon and gently take a bit of the 1st layer of substrate untill I find the barks, I take one piece of bark for time untill find the T that usually make the tunnes right under the barks, she actually uses the barks as a "ceiling" ;)
Dang good idea! :clap: Ive been wondering how to get my cobalt out of the current home its in when it gets too big. If I set up 2 "floors" it will make it much easier and safer to play landlord and evict it. ;)

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips guys! i've been waiting and waiting to catch my lugardi out of her hidy hole for weeks.... i saw her almost a month ago with a newly regenertated leg and that was the last - i really wanna get that skin out even if it is dessimated by now.. what are the chances i could still sex him/her after a month+?

xWARxPATHx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I had to get my H. lividum out of its enclosure I put the container in a larger enclosure. I started to dig some of the top layer off but it seemed that all the substrate was stuck together so I simply pulled the whole thing out then gently combed through it to find the little bugger.

dojang

Arachnopeon
Sounds like a batch of good ideas.

Basically I got the idea of the water because thats how the ATS (and also S&S's book) recommend flushing Ts out of their burrow in the wild.

I'll just try to dig up the substrate gently and get her out. As a matter of fact, both of my burrowers need to be relocated, and they both have doubled ended tunnels, so I can just stick a paint brush in one end, chase it out a bit, then collapse the tunnel just a little behind it and that will keep it from getting back down in there.

I am sure my Ts thank you as well :-D

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put the enclosure with the lid off inside a larger enclosure and wait for the T to come out on its own. It sometimes happens overnight or it takes a couple weeks but the T will eventually enter its new enclosure if its cramped for space. This is just a technique of mine that simplifies digging out a scared T and risking getting bitten.

Another technique I use on aggressive Ts is I create a wax ball on the end of a wooden dowell and I poke the wax end of the stick down the burrow and when the T bites the wax I quickly and gently pull the T out of its hole and into the new enclosure. It usually lets go in between so have the container and lid handy. Be sure to quickly close the container because the T will be angry and try to bite. This technique is risky for both you and the T so I would recommend the first technique.

I hope these techniques are helpful :D