How To Catch Questions

sintakz

Arachnopeon
Well I'm quite new to Entomology and I just recently found out about different ways to catch insects and I wanted to try out the Pitfall Trap method. I figured that I'm not the only person with questions on how to catch insects with different techniques so I started this thread as almost a compendium for people who need information on catching a specific insect, need help setting up certain traps ect.

Well to open the floor I was wondering if anyone has any food that would attract beetles to a pitfall trap. Also would a circle of salt help to deter the slugs I keep getting? I remember reading it somewhere on this board that it would.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beetles are so diverse that you can attract different types using almost anything for bait. Sugary substances like maple syrup on fruit will catch you many scarabs, dead rotting flesh will bring in a slew of different slings, mainly flies, and dung will get you all sorts of cool dung loving beetles in about 3-4 different families. Good luck! Oh, and don't use the salt, just sift out the slugs.

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I always get ants in my pitfall traps.. but thats in my backyard. When I go upstate im gonna try setting up to see what I get.