how to amputate a leg of a tarantula?

kendrickkey

Arachnopeon
how to amputate a leg of a tarantula? a 6" lasiodora klugi....but not the whole leg..only 2 segments because 2 segments of the leg has totally bent upward and maybe the tarantula will have a hard time when it molts again...i really need help... :(

5thPhantom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are others here with more experience than me, but personally I would leave nature to take its course on this one. The leg should repair during the next moult without any intervention, where as you may possibly risk the spider "bleeding out" if you start trying to take off segments of the leg. I would say its a better idea to just keep a close eye on the next moult and be perhaps ready to assist if absolutely necessary at that point.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would just leave it alone. If it truly is a problem the spider will cast the leg off itself.
Trying to do it yourself can cause more harm then good. I know it looks unsightly but you are just going to have to be patient and let her decide what is best.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would just leave it alone.
But FYI I'm pretty sure you would have to amputate the whole leg.
I do believe this is the way they stop the bleeding.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I Agree with everyone else, If it was a problem she would take care of it herself, cast it off and regrow a new one

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just to throw some more 'experience' on this thread.

As everyone else has said, leave it alone and let nature do its thing.

Worst case the spider will cast it itself.

Not sure why you created this thread when you already had this one...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=131372

Everyone there is telling you the same thing.

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leave it alone!! Just be attentive the next time it molts. Be prepared with some super glue in case something does go wrong. The T should not have any problem. It will probably force a molt to fix the leg anyways.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont have time to read everyone elses posts, but sometimes it is necessary to pull off a leg. I have had to do it a couple of times. Sometimes, its rare, but it happens, the T will not cast off the leg and it will cause further molting issues and is easier and better just to take it off. What you want to do is take a pair of tongs and grip firmly at the base of the leg and do a pull and a twist motion. Be gentle about doing it, but also be fairly quick about it also. Keep something like liquid bandage close just in case things go sour. 99% of the time if it is done right the leg will come off very easily, but the T will not be happy about it. It will bleed slightly but the bleeding quickly goes away after the T seals the area off. Its necessary to know exactly what you are doing when you do this, otherwise you can cause things to get much worse.

Cheers

-edit- also wanted to add, doing this isnt a "tugging" or "yanking" motion, its best described as a twisting motion while adding gentle pressure and pull it towards you.

Cknoble1

Arachnopeon
Instead of ordering this person to not do something (because you believe you know best... which isn't always the case). You should just offer your opinion in a polite way and supply an accurate answer in case they decide to do what they want. The question was asked for a reason, because they want to be prepared if the need arises.

A molt doesn't always solve an issue. I think if amputating the leg will make the next molt easier and less stressful on the spider than by all means do what you have to do.

"Hold the tarantula securely in one hand and grasp the damaged leg by the femur with hemostats and gently tug downwards. A crushed or badly deformed leg should be removed as far in advance of the next molt as possible. The legs are constructed to allow removal as a last resort survival strategy. Super glue or new skin can be used to seal the wound off."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like the last person...T's have an open circulatory system, humans have a closed one. So if a leg breaks open, their blood just comes flowing out more so than a human's would. You will have to seal it...I've heard super glue is used, but have no experience in this area. Just don't cut it off and put your T back home or it will die (Im SURE there's an exception somewhere..don't hit me up w/the exceptions haha)

Mysteryavic

Arachnosquire
haha. just to add a little more too it. My first of 3 OBT, when i was putting it in its new container i had one lose its legs. When i snapped on the lid it flew to the final pop spot and its leg was stuck in there. I noticed it in the lid when i went to feed it a few days later. I never noticed a problem. It molted a few weeks later with a new leg. Do what you got to do IMO. But don't do it if at all possible!

Matt