How soon after your first T did you get more?

Wenzer

Arachnosquire
One thing I'd suggest, is to get your roach colonies up and running before you invest in a bunch more Ts. That could take months, and in the mean time you'll be buying lots of crickets.
That is a good idea! I have a dubia colony already, but I have been thinking about starting a b. Lateralis colony too... I have no problems with my t. Verdezi eating dubias but I am aware they can be very hit-and-miss with any given T since they're kind of boring as prey and will just try to burrow away from them.

Mountaindani

Arachnopeon
...nevertheless, a large part of humanity does not manage to stay on the ball and still take adequate care of the animals in five years. Regularly one finds households with neglected spiders / reptiles etc... and it is precisely this attitude that leads to this. "Take what you want, when you want" has nothing to do with responsibility and common sense! That just shows a big hole where life experience should actually be!
My opinion only... it seems exotic pets and some dogs are the perfect prop for certain types of people who need to flex. It's so tragic, and quite frankly makes my blood boil. Your 'take what you want' comment got me going. Someone asked if they could hold my tarantula and I snapped 'she let's you look her, what more do you want?!' I was a little surprised by my reaction, but I do feel we owe our pets the best we can give them, because we chose them. They don't owe us a thing! Sorry for the rant.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My second T was a freebie that came with my first T. I had no intention of refusing it.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I got my first T in 10/2019
2nd 07/2020
12 more 10/2020
12 more 05/2021

lukasrood

Arachnopeon
Your 'take what you want' comment got me going.
You have opinions and so do I. I feel if you can provide the care they need why not get as many as you want. You may see it as a flex (weird flex most people look at you sideways when they find out you keep Ts) but some people are really fascinated by tarantulas and want more. I’ve never used keeping Ts as a flex, quite the contrary I usually don’t tell someone until I’m pretty comfortable with them or they are coming over to my house. Half my family doesn’t know about mine. Ohh and if that comment really gets you going I truly feel bad for you.

Mountaindani

Arachnopeon
You have opinions and so do I. I feel if you can provide the care they need why not get as many as you want. You may see it as a flex (weird flex most people look at you sideways when they find out you keep Ts) but some people are really fascinated by tarantulas and want more. I’ve never used keeping Ts as a flex, quite the contrary I usually don’t tell someone until I’m pretty comfortable with them or they are coming over to my house. Half my family doesn’t know about mine. Ohh and if that comment really gets you going I truly feel bad for you.
I'm sorry if my message wasn't clear. My point is exotic pets can be used that way and are often abused for clout. Im sorry if you disagree. My comment definitely was not a personal attack on anyone here, and I have hard time seeing how it was.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
probably about a year or so after i blame this forum though hahahathe more i read threads on herethe more timesa t caught my interest and the whole reseearching about a t happened and led to another purchase of a sling

Kegaran

Arachnopeon
As boring as it is I only had my original two, once they were gone I was out of the hobby for some time before picking up my current sling.

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
I'm just curious about others experiences! I've spent the last few hours today watching videos and reading info from Tom's Big Spiders, and getting myself all amped up thinking I should go ahead and look into buying another T, possibly a sling. But I don't want to rush into slings because of how new I am already to keeping Ts, so I'm satiating my interests by reading more and looking at cool spider pics lol.

That being said... I am extremely tempted to get a C. Cyaneo/GBB, I saw some listed on Fear Not Tarantulas. They have 1" to 1.25" slings available, which I know would be a little more forgiving than a much smaller sling, but the temps here have gotten colder again so I would probably be best waiting for warmer temps anyways. In the meantime, I'm going to continue reading up :)

I was also very tempted with C. Elegans and D. Pentaloris, but the only availability I've found so far have been very tiny slings under 1/4", and I'm not so sure if I'm ready to try that yet. But one day I WILL have dwarf species because they're honestly looking to be my favorites so far!

I only recently got my first, a 2.5" male T. Verdezi. I've always been fascinated with tarantulas and their behaviors and I'm extremely happy with my first choice of T, because he is so interesting! He's often out and about when I come into the room, though he will retreat to his burrow once I'm visibly moving around in the room. I love seeing what he does with his burrow.
Today I noticed he pulled a small stone that was in the far corner all the way down into his den, which he has conveniently cleared out a window for in the opposite corner of where the stone was 😅 I wonder if it just fell in while he was moving around, but there's a decent mound of substrate it would have had to get rolled over to fall into the burrow entrance... Makes me think it might have been deliberate, which would be even more interesting!
I bought 3 tarantulas at the end of January. A large juvi T Albo, a juvie A Genic and a juvie B. Bohemi. I’ve just ordered a small juvi B. Smithi (as I think its the coolest looking tarantula ever). But I’m considering ordering something else too.

I don’t want too many, I’m happy with what I have. They’re all facinating and different. I just have to get the B. Smithi too cos it looks so cool and I find it difficult to find them here in the UK.

I’d like a G Pulchra (but they’re expensive) maybe A. Chalcodes or a Nhandu and maybe a P. Salmai one day. Not sure if I’d love the docileness of an A. Chalcodes or the fiestiness of a Nhandu most. I’d like another large T, an LP is another option.

But yeah, no more than 5.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas are great, but the various species are too similar to each other to justify a big collection. Maybe one terrestrial and one arboreal? One NW and one OW? I'd be more inclined to try a different invertebrate altogether. My next purchase might be a mantis.

LordJeremy94

Arachnopeon
I think Amanda has had the highland and Subfusca available before although not on their site atm, I will keep an I out once expo season starts and might go for Miranda and Formosa too then
Amanda?from Tarantula Canada?if thays so I just got my first T from then 2 days ago,a gorgeous little Pseudhapalopus sp yellow blue sling!!she already hate her first cricket too😁😁

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas are great, but the various species are too similar to each other to justify a big collection. Maybe one terrestrial and one arboreal? One NW and one OW? I'd be more inclined to try a different invertebrate altogether. My next purchase might be a mantis.
Not true at all I got mostly lasiodora and they all behave differently. Different temperament and everything, but I see what you’re saying. No harm in trying other pets , I’ll prob get a scorpion or centipede someday . If any do good room temperature, it’s a pain enough heating my roaches . Reptiles are cool too , I just don’t have the space for them , and I’d probably have to move out to keep a snake . Not sure if lizards are aloud . I’ll just stick to inverts .for now . :cool: :ladybug::spider:

ThatPlebOverThere

Arachnopeon
Started out with a T. Albopilosus, then about 2 months later jumped out to 10, and in about a 2 year time frame houses up to 125 before I enlisted.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Summer of 2000 I got my first three at the same time. A juvenile T. albopilosus, a P. murinus "Usumbara orange" sling, and a P. muticus sling. The following summer I got two G. rosea slings, and then the summer after that I got a B. hamorii sling and an A. geniculata sling. By the summer of 2003 my collection was expanding exponentially at a far more rapid pace.