How potent is Heteropodra venom?

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
I've looked but can't really find any info regarding this subject; specifically interested in the tetrica species.
Anybody know?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Assuming you meant Heteropoda
We've had various threads on this in the past. I don't think anyone had ever come up with a solid answer in the way of laboratory findings. This lack of evidence, to me, seems to indicate the venoms are not medically significant and are not known to cause long lasting or latent effects.
From what I have observed of them, they overpower their victims and 'consume' them on the spot, not waiting for or relying on venom effects to assist.

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Assuming you meant Heteropoda
We've had various threads on this in the past. I don't think anyone had ever come up with a solid answer in the way of laboratory findings. This lack of evidence, to me, seems to indicate the venoms are not medically significant and are not known to cause long lasting or latent effects.
From what I have observed of them, they overpower their victims and 'consume' them on the spot, not waiting for or relying on venom effects to assist.
Not sure how I missed this post. Most venomous spiders are venomous on a genus or family level. Australian funnel-web spiders are all generally considered dangerous, all are in the Hexathelidae family along with a lot of other venomous genres. All widow spiders are in the same genus, Latrodectus and are all considered medically significant. It goes on with fiddlebacks (all in the Loxosceles genus), Brazilian wandering spiders (all in the Phoneutria genus), etc.

I do not believe any research has shown that spiders in the family Sparassidae (including the genus Heteropoda) posses a medically significant venom (definitely not cyto, hemo or neurotoxic).