How old is old enough to breed?

8Pat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all!
I have a beautifull female A. geniculata. She's a bit over 2 years old and 4 inches long (from cephalothorax to tip of abdomen). I was wondering if she should be ready to breed soon?
Thanks in advance!
8Pat

Kevmaster06

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont really know but you might want to include legspan as well beause that is what most people are familiar with.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A picture may help but if she really has a 4" body length i'd say she's sexually mature. Not adult size but capable of reproducing. Think "15 year old girl".

8Pat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks to both of you!
I must confess I was at work when I first posted and gave size from memory. I just measured her and she really is more like 4 inches legspan. Maybe I should wait until after next molt?
Bye!
8Pat

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's pretty a judgment call. Individuals grow at different rates and mature likewise. It wouldn't hurt to wait but she could be ready now. To err on teh safe side, yeah you could wait. When was her last molt?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
4" "body length" would make it over 7" legspan judging a genic that I once had. I would say its old enought @ around 6". If mated when sexually mature but still small relative to potential size, it is more risky due to the frequency of the molts. The timing has to be more precise as far as mating it and not having a molt occur before it drops the eggs.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
At about 4" legspan she may be a little young. If you have a male available you could sharktank him and see if the drum to each other. If she responds to him then you're probably good to go. I'm not an experienced breeder though so i'd definitely defer to the opinion of more experienced persons here.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She won't mate at 4"... the male will dwarf her! Male genics are huge. I'd give her another 2 moults at least! More like 6-7" before mating. Her carapace has to be bigger than the males as a general rule.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Becky, you want to make sure the female is at least close to the males size, and male genics can be pretty big.

8Pat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok!
I'll wait then. Thanks to all of you for taking time. I appreciate!
8Pat