1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you change your substrate?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by LordofScorpions, Dec 9, 2007.

1. LordofScorpions

LordofScorpions Arachnosquire

Starting when I come back to school, in December, I'm going to do a whole substrate change. I spot clean at least every 3 or 4 days.

But how often should you remove all the sub and add new sub?
  2. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Well I've had them since April and I haven't done it once.

I just mix it around...

I guess I need an answer too.
  3. I never change mine.

Early on in the hobby, I changed it when I discovered that I was using the wrong kind. I also changed out one tank when mushrooms started growing.

The vinegaroon didn't seem to mind, incidentally . . .
  4. Vietnamese510

Vietnamese510 Arachnoknight

i cange my sub for my emps like about at least 2-3 months
    and i clean up a little when i inspect every week
  5. Normski2020uk

Normski2020uk Arachnolord Old Timer

Never, ive had my sub in my main tank for comeing up to 2 years. Its had mushrooms, it had spring tails, Its dirt, the scorps hose keep their selves, have u not noticed how they seam to burrow a little deeper everynow n again. Check the spill they bring to the surface, its all their waist. Pluse if you add woodlice, spiders, springtails, n mites (predatory) you have a self contained echo system. So u dont need to empty it out.
    Me personaly, id only empty it out if something ghoes wrong and i cant controle it by altering the enviroment. E.g. I had an outbreak of fruit flys in 1 tank. Could not controle them so i had to change it out.
  6. Cyris69

Cyris69 Arachnoprince

I clean my tropical tanks out every 2 months max.
    Haven't had my desert setups for to long so I doubt I'll change those very often. Then again a 50lb bag of play sand is 2 bucks compared 5 for a freaking brick of coco fiber.

I also do weekly inspections with my LED pen light and spot clean when I see it.
    I think it depends on the environment. Tropic, desert, etc..
    Then all the variables come into play: Heat, Relative Humidity, Ventilation, Ground Moisture, and any others. If you have high heat, good RH and moisture and bad ventilation your going to have to do a lot more cleaning and changes.
  7. Once a year or when it is really necessary.