How much water does it take to drown a scorpion?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
As a first time scorpion owner, this really does make me nervous about having a water dish.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
As a first time scorpion owner, this really does make me nervous about having a water dish.
Just make sure the dish isn't too big for it to get stuck and you're fine.

This is all you need as long as you keep it full. I use water bottle caps. They definitely drink from them, as this H. arizonensis was doing when I took the pic.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Just make sure the dish isn't too big for it to get stuck and you're fine.

This is all you need as long as you keep it full. I use water bottle caps. They definitely drink from them, as this H. arizonensis was doing when I took the pic.
My scorp is quite the size, I've given him a really shallow dish. Hope it's suitable if show a picture but not got one on hand.
But I'm positive he won't get stuck or anything like that.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My scorp is quite the size, I've given him a really shallow dish. Hope it's suitable if show a picture but not got one on hand.
But I'm positive he won't get stuck or anything like that.

I've had Heterometrus spp. & Pandinus spp. sit in their water dishes for hours in the past. As long as they can get out they're fine.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Your scorp being a heterometrus will be fine with a shallow water dish
Padinus and heterometrus species would be the only 2 types of scorpions I would use a water dish with
others don't need them at all

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Not denying that a Scorpion can be kept without a water dish by experienced keepers but for a beginner it is best to encourage the use of a small dish.

I have been keeping for years and I use a dish for peace of mind, not to mention I witness them drink from the dishes (rain forest and arid species).

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your scorp being a heterometrus will be fine with a shallow water dish
Padinus and heterometrus species would be the only 2 types of scorpions I would use a water dish with
others don't need them at all
I use small water dishes in all my enclosures (save Andros)!! Notably, the avatar picture to the left is of a Parabuthus Trans drinking from a water bottle lid. I noted my P. Vill's (blacks) would also prefer water dishes (small water bottle lids), I found most of all the Parabuthus I've kept would drink from small water bottle lids! Interesting stuff, good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I use small water dishes in all my enclosures (save Andros)!! Notably, the avatar picture to the left is of a Parabuthus Trans drinking from a water bottle lid. I noted my P. Vill's (blacks) would also prefer water dishes (small water bottle lids), I found most of all the Parabuthus I've kept would drink from small water bottle lids! Interesting stuff, good luck!

Cheers,

Rob
I'm not saying they won't drink from a water dish but andros and parabuthus were the exact reason i quit using tiny little nestle pure life water bottle caps as water dishes

I had australis Hector and parabuthus mossambicensis babies both drown in them and switched to misting only afterwards
no drownings since then except for this odd occurrence that this thread was started for .... not to argue whether using a water dish is right or wrong
everybody has their own ways that work and water dishes don't work for me ...period

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not saying they won't drink from a water dish but andros and parabuthus were the exact reason i quit using tiny little nestle pure life water bottle caps as water dishes

I had australis Hector and parabuthus mossambicensis babies both drown in them and switched to misting only afterwards
no drownings since then except for this odd occurrence that this thread was started for .... not to argue whether using a water dish is right or wrong
everybody has their own ways that work and water dishes don't work for me ...period
Agreed, wasn't trying to argue with you at all!! And yeah I don't offer dishes to Parabuthus until around 5i... Andros never get them! Additionally, I found your post pretty interesting, first time I've seen a drowning from condensation. Good luck to you!

Cheers,

Rob